• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I hem when banner is going in stand?

Signed Out

Alright I have 8 banners to make all the same and going into Da Vinci banner stands. We have never used these banner stands and I am wondering do I need to hem the banner. We use Powertape and I am concerned if I use it the customer may have trouble getting the top and bottom into the rail that clip. I do not have the stands yet but I need to get the banners finished today. Should I Powertape the whole perimiter or just the 2 sides or use no Powertape at all?

2B

EDIT:

assumed you were using a non-retractable banner stand.

retractable banner frames are not to be hemmed

Last edited:

Signed Out

we use power tape which is a single side tape that adds some ridgidity to the banner so the design wont change either way.

IronHawk

never made one, but I believe you dont hem but need to use an anti-curl material

+1

No hem and a curl free vinyl is what that calls for. You will see many of them using material that curls though. It just looks bad on a show floor next to the other guy's that used a curl free.

Our curl free is a 13 oz but when it rolls up in the stand, you run more of a chance of the image rubbing due to space constraints. Our standard is a 10 oz material that has minimal curl. Print hundreds of them at a time. We've used both materials with success.

matrue

We ourselves never hem a retractor banner. We use a special 14oz smooth banner material with no edge curl. We also dye sublimate on a fabric that will not fray. There are many material that will work the same way.

MT

gabagoo

I dont think you could roll up a banner properly into a retractable if it were hemmed, and i also think it would look pretty awful with a hem