Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I hem when banner is going in stand?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by All-SignZ, Jul 24, 2012.

1. All-SignZ

All-SignZ Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Alright I have 8 banners to make all the same and going into Da Vinci banner stands. We have never used these banner stands and I am wondering do I need to hem the banner. We use Powertape and I am concerned if I use it the customer may have trouble getting the top and bottom into the rail that clip. I do not have the stands yet but I need to get the banners finished today. Should I Powertape the whole perimiter or just the 2 sides or use no Powertape at all?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    never made one, but I believe you dont hem but need to use an anti-curl material

3. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    EDIT:

assumed you were using a non-retractable banner stand.

retractable banner frames are not to be hemmed

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. CS-SignSupply-TT

CS-SignSupply-TT Very Active Member

May 31, 2011
  5. All-SignZ

All-SignZ Active Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Upstate NY
    we use power tape which is a single side tape that adds some ridgidity to the banner so the design wont change either way.

6. IronHawk

IronHawk Member

Jun 28, 2012
    +1

No hem and a curl free vinyl is what that calls for. You will see many of them using material that curls though. It just looks bad on a show floor next to the other guy's that used a curl free.

Our curl free is a 13 oz but when it rolls up in the stand, you run more of a chance of the image rubbing due to space constraints. Our standard is a 10 oz material that has minimal curl. Print hundreds of them at a time. We've used both materials with success.

7. matrue

matrue Member

Jul 13, 2012
    We ourselves never hem a retractor banner. We use a special 14oz smooth banner material with no edge curl. We also dye sublimate on a fabric that will not fray. There are many material that will work the same way.

MT

8. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I dont think you could roll up a banner properly into a retractable if it were hemmed, and i also think it would look pretty awful with a hem