• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Should I switch to signlab....?

coastguy111

I currently have Onyx gamma print R.I.P software because it was included with the new Epson Surecolor S40600 printer.
I've been looking at signlabs all in one solution (graphic design, rip, print, cut) and really like what I have seen so far.

My main focus right now is business vehicle wraps. I'm an owner operator with all the production equipment needed and install skills.

Will Signlabs all in one solution be better for someone who is really a "newbie" or should I just stick with the Onyx gamma print?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

coastguy111

Your probably right... I just like the idea of having all my software under one "umbrella'.

coastguy111

Is the design part of Signlab user friendly compared to Adobe or other graphic design software.... especially for vehicle wraps?

boxerbay

Worst idea. If your software craps out during an update you're sunk. All in one is convenient but can be risky.

coastguy111

If I'm new still to the graphic design aspect (Will be outsourcing while I learn) do you recommend I just purchase an Adobe illustrator and Photoshop software or just get the monthly creative suite membership?

WildWestDesigns

Worst idea. If your software craps out during an update you're sunk. All in one is convenient but can be risky.

This is very very true (and one reason why I'm not a fan of forced updates and SaaS programs), but this will apply to any program or OS.

However, on a production computer, it shouldn't be attached to an outside network, so once a good version has been deployed, it shouldn't be able to be "seen" by the outside and thus updates are not done or necessary.

Once it's stable don't mess with it. Don't have it connected to the "outside".

ikarasu

I vnc into work all the time. Whether it's to grab files to work on at home, play with some new settings in onyx I just learned about, or if I'm just downstairs and hear the printer is done printing... I login and remote hit print.

You can always turn updates off if you'd like. Most software allows it... Windows 10 not so much. But I think disabling it's internet access is a bit too much

WildWestDesigns

You can always turn updates off if you'd like. Most software allows it... Windows 10 not so much. But I think disabling it's internet access is a bit too much

In order to "turn it off" in Windows 10, that is a registry edit. However, how many people have complained of a Win 10 update either disrupting their work OR worse yet, causing their software to have a hiccup? No internet connection, no worry about an update.

What is the biggest vector of infection? The internet.

Production rigs should not, I repeat, should not be attached to an outside network. I believe there was a guy in here that got hit with ransomeware on his production rig. There is no need for internet on a production machine. None.

Have one computer that gets the outside file. Scan it. Then transfer it to the production LAN via USB or CF or whatever memory device you want to use. It is so simple and it can save so much on issues that are typically bound to happen at one time or another. Even if it's just a really simple nuisance and nothing extreme.

Now I will say, more targets now seem to not be an actual computer so much that it is your router or some other IoT device (which is a little bit more difficult to make sure it's current and protected and if that gets infected, your whole network is compromised).

To me, why run that risk on something that is supposed to make you money and production environments do not do well with down time. Either due to the instability of updates or malicious code.

ProPDF

Get the monthly version of Illustrator CC and a subscription to Lynda.com the tutorials on there are a goldmine. I would not buy Adobe Illustrator CS6. I would not get a RIP that does not offer cut order optimization for cutters and the latest Adobe Print engine available.

Gary Wiant

I've used Signlab since it was version 5 and now it is on version 10 I have not had any issues with it locking up during an update, nor have I ever heard of anyone else using Signlab have that issue. I do all my design work in SL and love it. It has a ton of useful features for creating wraps & signs in general.

Good luck

coastguy111

Get the monthly version of Illustrator CC and a subscription to Lynda.com the tutorials on there are a goldmine. I would not buy Adobe Illustrator CS6. I would not get a RIP that does not offer cut order optimization for cutters and the latest Adobe Print engine available.
I have been on the fence regarding signing up for lynda.com but it does appear to have more lessons print production then any other online learning courses.

WildWestDesigns

Lynda.com is very good. There are YouTube videos available as well (sometimes even Lynda has some of there, usually the shorter, more basic, intro videos however), but those will require more vetting I have found as anyone can post there. Some are really good, some for certain applications, may not be.

I'm a little uncertain why no Ai CS6 love, but there may be specific things that the poster is thinking of that may not apply to me or that I'm thinking of. My hatred of SaaS type of programs alone would keep me from going the CC route, but that is just me and my own prejudice.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
... and a subscription to Lynda.com the tutorials on there are a goldmine.

great courses on Sketchup, Blender, lots on PhotoShop, CorelDraw (I've not bothered with Adobe Irritator, but I suppose they're good, too), Python, Typography, Vector graphics, programming of all sorts etc., and a whole slew of general knowledge courses...

I started a Lynda subscription a year and a half ago thinking it was only going to be for a couple months. I've since learned a lot about many things, including software that I used to teach, for pete's sakes... Still have the sub and sometimes I even use it recreationally as in some of the photography and lighting courses. Lynda.com is a good example of a subscription-based service. Adobe's CC is not.

coastguy111

Are there any "critical" features I am missing with Onyx gamma print R.I.P software for vehicle wraps production/print that another rip software is superior to?

coastguy111

Any experience going with CADLINK's oem custom software development that you have them tailored to your specific needs?

Barry Wright

I currently have Onyx gamma print R.I.P software because it was included with the new Epson Surecolor S40600 printer.
I've been looking at signlabs all in one solution (graphic design, rip, print, cut) and really like what I have seen so far.

My main focus right now is business vehicle wraps. I'm an owner operator with all the production equipment needed and install skills.

Will Signlabs all in one solution be better for someone who is really a "newbie" or should I just stick with the Onyx gamma print?
Thanks

Hello Coast Guy,
The best Rip on the market is Caldera. The one drawback is if you are on all pc you'll need a Linux system. It's much more stable. Or if you're already on Mac you're all set. I'm with a company that specializes in Color Calibration & Color Management. I've read some of the comments here. It doesn't appear that any one has the total answer. When creating a profile you can do 99 steps correctly, miss just one and it's as if you've done nothing at all. If you like call me and we can solve your issue with what you have. Then maybe you can try out the Caldera Rip on a 15 day temp key. We'll spend up to 2 hours with you via phone and team viewer to make sure your Caldera test drive works for you. Thanks.
Barry Wright
Barry@yellowcase.com
407-952-6961-c

WildWestDesigns

Hello Coast Guy,
The best Rip on the market is Caldera. The one drawback is if you are on all pc you'll need a Linux system.

Why would that be a drawback? All my systems directly installed on bare metal are Linux.

Technically speaking Macs are also PCs as well. I hate what the Apple marketing department has done. I digress big time I know.

Barry Wright

Why would that be a drawback? All my systems directly installed on bare metal are Linux.

Technically speaking Macs are also PCs as well. I hate what the Apple marketing department has done. I digress big time I know.

You're issue is your media Calibration is off or your profile if you have one. We can fix your problem. This is all we do. Thank you.