• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shovelhead

Bigdawg

Just Me
It is through tears I am posting this.

Al (Shovelhead) is very sick. He didn't want anyone to know - if you know him, you know that he wouldn't want anyone to see him weak and not himself. He had been having back problems that ended up being cancer and by the time they diagnosed it (not that long ago) there was/is nothing that can be done. A few of us knew, but respected Al's request to keep this private. On top of it - his mom passed away a couple weeks ago.

He has a lady friend that has been taking care of him. Bless her heart. But today he has become very unresponsive and the time is close for him to pass. He is with friends who love him... and who have told him how much those of us that can't be there do too. We agree that instead of just telling his friend here in the sign community that he is gone, that it would be better to let everyone know now so they can have the opportunity to say goodbye.

I love you Al. I hope you found all the answers you were looking for. And I'll see you on the other side. :loveya:

ddarlak

Go Bills!
years ago I had plans to go golfing with him and it never metabolized.... I wish I would have met him personally.

Enjoy the journey my friend....

Flame

Very sad to hear! I really enjoyed seeing Shovelhead on here :( Shovel man, I wish you the best and maybe one day we'll go on a ride together.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh my...... so sad.

I've wondered many times whatever happened to him. Thank you so much Stacy for letting us know.

Shovel, may you ride with the really big guys now and remember those kitties.............

We'll meet later :rock-n-roll:
Gino

petepaz

never anything you can say to make these times better, just plain sucks. hopefully he will be at peace and pain free.

jcuminale

so close and yet so far

having only cooperated on a couple of projects over the years, and having not known our common "sign" bond until those relatively recent projects, I send my prayers your way Al. forever a reminder of our fleeting moments in this place, I'll take up a torch.

Pat Whatley

Shovelhead is an incredibly unique guy and definitely proof that you can't just a book by its cover. The guy would bend over backwards to help people even if that meant giving them the swift kick in the *** they needed.

Always thought it would be awesomely hilarious to see him with his own cooking show.

Last edited:

OldPaint

he jokingly always called me "dad". ive know for a while this was happening. and ive told him already i love him just like a son. we had a very good friend in sarasota, from Cleveland ohio who had the same thing. she went to the doctors with back/bone pain one day while home in cleveland, and was not 6 months and she was gone. she was also young. i thank the lord everyday....for each new day i get to see.

Techman

we are diminished a little when one leaves our collective of fine people.

Praying for his spirit to enter paradise

slappy

I hate the news about your health Al! Prayers are with you! God be with you! Love you always my friend and so glad your who you are, there is none like you!!

Jillbeans

Man, that sucks. I had no idea.
Big Al, whatever happens (and I hope for a miracle) I think you are a good person, and you've touched many people's lives in a good way.
You're too young for this, not that there's ever a "right" age.
Whenever I see Bank Gothic I always think of you and give a little chuckle.
Peace out, man and bug hugs.
Lots of love....Jill
:loveya:
PS Thank you Stacy.
:loveya:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Your time is way too soon my friend, I hope you know that you are loved and respected. I can't imagine how scary it must be, I hope you find comfort in knowing you made a difference in peoples lives.