• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shrinkage

mudmedia

I printed 5 doors using 3m IJ35c for a company I laminated with Oraguard 210 gloss laminate.

I installed about 4 months ago door was off the hinges door knobs were off so it was a super easy install no heat was needed graphic was plenty big so no stretching was used.

I went back today to measure up some walls for graphics and I noticed the door vinyl has shrunk quiet a bit. I know that all vinyl shrinks over time but it has shrunk a 1/8" to possibly a small quarter inch. So my questions are:

Is this normal?
How do I stop this?
Did I use the correct material for the job?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Yes its normal....use higher quality cast vinyl.....3m, Avery or Oracal cast would be the answer.
Talking about doors....Vehicle doors or doors in a building???

mudmedia

Sorry I should have clarified...doors in a building just a regular 3'x7' door.

I was going to use a cast material but wanted to give the ij35 a go on it to see if the flat surface vinyl is true. It stuck and is fine in that aspect but if it does shrink like that then I guess I will be switching to cast everything.

J

john1

It's fine, Cast on store windows is overkill IMO. I have some General Formulations Concept 201 out there with 210 laminate for about 6 months and it maybe has 1/16" shrinkage. That stuff is cheaper then the IJ35 too.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Other option would have been to use...mind drawing blank here....adhesive backed fabric..lol. Thats great on walls and other interiors items. ON a door though with the handling of it, not sure it would have worked well for cleanliness long term.

mudmedia

yeah I do not think I would go a fabric route.

The customer did not complain or say anything it was just one of those things that bugged me. I knew vinyl shrunk I just completely forgot to think about it I guess.

JoeBoomer

You should use calendared lam w/ cal vinyl. Cast lam w/ cast vinyl

Ij35 w/ Oracal 200 instead. At least it will shrink together. :)