• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Shuttle Bus Wrapping Above Windshield And Around Caulk

Doyle

So, we've already done 2 of these buses in the past. And probably the most difficult area for us has been the front of the bus, just above the windshield. There are many curves in a very tight and difficult to reach area, just wondering if anyone else would be willing to share their approach/procedure to wrapping these areas?

Also, in the past we have trimmed away from the caulked areas and rubber pieces on these buses. It seems that the options are to use a primer (which would destroy the caulk and rubber upon removal, we would never do this), or to remove/trim these areas from the wrap, to ensure there is no vinyl cracking and peeling away from these areas after 6 months. Anyone have suggestions for this if we are applying a full wrap of a dark color? The exposed white rubber pieces and caulk lines are kinda ugly in this scenario.

Thanks in advance for any advice
PROOF 2017-03-02 at 9.36.39 AM.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1492.JPG
    IMG_1492.JPG
    887.4 KB · Views: 274

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Scaffolding to get to it.
As far the caulk... Good question. I always trimmed away from it, but I'm by no means a wrap expert.

papabud

Lone Wolf
these buses are what we mainly wrap. the only area we use primer is bottom of the passenger front side where it has that deep recessed area.
as far as above the window. its difficalt but if you take a thing strip of material and your finger you can usually work it in.
we make cuts at every caulk area, the vinyl wont stick to it long. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    792 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2338.JPG
    IMG_2338.JPG
    792.3 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    359.9 KB · Views: 230

printhog

Knifeless tape for trimming around the caulking and windshield. As for over windshield - 2 person crew, patience, scaffolding above and over the hood. Some protective thing over the windshield... We have a .75 inch thick 3'x 8' silicone foam mat that we put over the windshield that prevents scratches and let's my guys lean or lay on the glass without fear of breaking it. They have it on their knee pads to. Spreads the weight load. Its got a static sticky feel that doesn't slip on the paint or glass. I've had that mat for 25 years. Not sure where we got it. It's open cell silicone foam sheeting. Often used in steel rule die cutting to kick the cut material out of the die after stamping.

Oh and Percocet with a vodka chaser for the pain after your done.

its only a freaking sign!

Joel golden

We've been doing quite a few lately and have presented different options to the customer for the caulk area. They decided that a color matched paint over the caulk was what they wanted... so, we do as they order and Make sure they know the pros and cons