• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign design

ThinkRight

Not sure about whether a sign design is subject to copyright or patent .
Or neither .
I going to make 1 or 2 and market it to real estate companies.
Should I just make it and keep going ?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're kinda vague there, cowboy. You might need a little more caffeine to get a better kick-start.

What are you really trying to do ??

ThinkRight

I want to make a Realtor sign .
Never seen what I want to make.
If I make the sign and it is popular, I don't want everybody and their brother to copy them.
Am I making anymore sense ?
It might not make a difference, I am just not sure .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most realtor signs are predefined as to what they will look like by corporate headquarters. Logos, sizes, colors and placement of secondary or legend copy are all included in this. There aren't that many single agents around anymore, so what kind of sign could you be contemplating ??

Jillbeans

Are you referring to the sign layout itself or the construction of a particular type of sign frame?
I'm confused, too.
Love....Jill

CES020

I don't think you'll have much luck trying to protect a shape. If it looks good, it's going to be knocked off. Period.

ThinkRight

Are you referring to the sign layout itself or the construction of a particular type of sign frame?
I'm confused, too.
Love....Jill

The shape and construction aspect.
I guess if I make it and everyone copies it i should be flattered huh ?

TammieH

I believe Dee Sign back in Cincy patented their real estate sign frames... years ago...
on their design of the punched clips that hold the sign to the frame. Others since then made frames similar to Dee Sign with slight changes.

Basically yes you can ThinkRight...but

ThinkRight

I believe Dee Sign back in Cincy patented their real estate sign frames... years ago...
on their design of the punched clips that hold the sign to the frame. Others since then made frames similar to Dee Sign with slight changes.

Basically yes you can ThinkRight...but

But....
Thanks everyone , I just did not know.
I am still gonna make it and see if anyone likes them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, if the Op had mentioned here, what he texted me, it might be a little more clear.

I believe he wants to introduce a new 'concept' of a type sign, unused at this point by anyone.

Seriously, my advice would be, instead of losing a potentially money making venture, ante up the $7.50, join the 'Premium' section and go over your plans with other professionals without the worry of outsiders or thieves at almost nil. Lay out your drawings and ideas and many here will help you if your idea is indeed worthy of moving onto the next step.

ThinkRight

Okay, if the Op had mentioned here, what he texted me, it might be a little more clear.

I believe he wants to introduce a new 'concept' of a type sign, unused at this point by anyone.

Seriously, my advice would be, instead of losing a potentially money making venture, ante up the $7.50, join the 'Premium' section and go over your plans with other professionals without the worry of outsiders or thieves at almost nil. Lay out your drawings and ideas and many here will help you if your idea is indeed worthy of moving onto the next step.

Thank you
I guess I will have to finally join officially ...