• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sign Install - Signtronix and Stucco

bannertime

A customer of mine bought a Signtronix sign from a frequent customer of his. He received the sign and had some people remove the awning on the overhang. The "installer," if there was one, never submitted for a permit, and left him high and dry on the install.

He wants us to install it, which we are willing to assist with. On initial inspection, this job is a nightmare.

The overhang fascia has a some plaster type material braced with a wiremesh and some <1/2" vertical rods. There is no human sized access into the space. The ceiling is similar material with insulation and some small steel beams for supporting the lights. The roof is the corrugated metal with large steel beams.

In the picture you can see all that, plus the holes and toggle bolts left behind from the awning. It's also apparent that the holes were slightly increasing in size from the weight of the awning that had been there for about 10 years.

Typically we'd put some type of square tube or angle iron bracket behind the studs and all-thread though all that and what not. There are no studs, so we'd do like a 4x8 sheet of plywood or something. However, we probably wouldn't even be able to get a 2x4 into this space. Wouldn't matter much cause we wouldn't be able to access the back of it anyway.

The 3ft x 8ft sign doesn't weigh that much, but in Signtronix fashion it's only got 2 mounting brackets. Room for maybe 4 mounting holes. In which they only support the bottom 2/3rds of the sign cause the top 3rd is an arch with no brackets welded in place. 4 holes in unsupported plaster/mesh sounds like a recipe for fatalities.

If there are no suggestions, we'll most likely pass on the job or contract out. Just trying not to leave MY customer high and dry.

Attachments

• 20171121_160653.jpg
    20171121_160653.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 167

papabud

Lone Wolf
could you cut an access whole in the fascia build a support behind the metal pieces. then mount to that you can even cover the whole that was cut.
i was thinking a whole just big enough for 2 hands you can slip in a brace then turn it into place and attach

TXFB.INS

Looks like your typical EIFS exterior.

Looking at the picture, what about accessing the steel in the roof frame?
example, that looks to be a steel support that is parallel to the top of the EIFS.
take some steel tubing, paint it similar color to the EIFS, then lay it on the outside of the EIFS, put bolts through the tubing and into the structural steel at the top.
will probably need to use a Jack Nut due to the lack of access.
then taket the sign and mount to the steel tubing that is now on the outside of the EIFS
You will have structural support and all accessible from the exterior