• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign Shop on CNBC's "The Profit"

jhimes

I watched this show every week and last night it stopped in the middle of the show so hopefully it airs again. I was not impressed with what I saw of the owner....he seemed like a meathead!

truckgraphics

The Profit

It wasn’t so much that the sign man didn’t shine a good light on the industry. I didn’t see him as unethical. A little (maybe more than a little) unaware of issues facing his employees, customers, and family perhaps.

What really bit him was his argument with a former customer. The customer apparently wasn’t happy with a job the company performed, so the sign company sued him for a few hundred bucks and might have even won (that wasn’t clear). So what does the customer do on national television? He complains.

The lesson Marcus had, was that sometimes you have to bite the bullet to avoid having a bad apple to bring down the whole tree. Or get it out of our system by ranting on Signs 101 !

copythat

Marcus is the Man...

This show really focuses on anyone's business. # P's are very important to do well. He has the knack for bringing it out. Of course some of these individuals try and take advantage of him, but reality ends up biting them in the ( Y ).

Good Show, Good Person...Marcus Lemonis

CES020

The guy had some impressive growth numbers for 3 years in business. What was it, like $105K the first year, then $300+K the next year, and headed to $700K that year? That's pretty strong numbers, growth wise.

He had a couple mistakes, one was moving from New York to South Carolina and keeping the New York attitude, and the second was thinking he'd partner with Marcus just to get the 1.5m is sign business each year from him.

getcustomized

Best show of the season(this season has kinda sucked so far). The guy got a great head start when his daddy loaned him 200k to start the business. Some people can start and build a business by themselves, Most can't. Must be nice to have rich parents.

OldPaint

THIS SHOW.........and the guy who calls himself a sign maker......just proves the point of where this business went in the last 20 years. people in it, who cant draw stick figures, looking to make money without knowing what the hell they are doing or how to make signs. all you have to do is look at HIS STORFRONT SIGN..........FUGLY, PLAIN, NO DESIGN AT ALL..........and this is how most of his other work was to.
i used to say the reason i moved from sarasota to pensacola was, as a (sign painter)i got tired of dealing with people from NEW YORK CITY(a lot of NYC people move to sarasota))))))))) i dont know why they have that "tude" but when your in the rest of the world....most find it offensive.

kheebl

I just watched it the other day and all I can say is wow what a piece of work that guy is. Just for the heck of it I looked up his website and had a hard time finding it. I guess that's what you get when you name your business ASL, when I googled I was getting everything about the American Sign Language.

mfatty500

Kind of funny that Marcus was not going to business with this guy and the sign from a previous episode (Artistic Stitches episode) Queens vibe sign was done by this guy.

Pat Whatley

THIS SHOW.........and the guy who calls himself a sign maker......just proves the point of where this business went in the last 20 years. people in it, who cant draw stick figures, looking to make money without knowing what the hell they are doing or how to make signs. all you have to do is look at HIS STORFRONT SIGN..........FUGLY, PLAIN, NO DESIGN AT ALL..........and this is how most of his other work was to.

True, and he may be a peckerhead, but he's surrounded himself with people who know how to make signs and his business is on track to do $700,000 this year.

The ridiculous interaction with the Treasure Island owner they showed? He still sold them that monument sign.

HulkSmash

i used to say the reason i moved from sarasota to pensacola was, as a (sign painter)i got tired of dealing with people from NEW YORK CITY(a lot of NYC people move to sarasota))))))))) i dont know why they have that "tude" but when your in the rest of the world....most find it offensive.

hah. What a ridiculous statement.

He's going to make 700k a year on his 3rd year in business. He has the right people in place to do the job. He may be obnoxious and dense, but he cares about being successful and doing well.
they're doing absurdly well for the short time they've been in business. He's not looking to make money. He's making it.

Please stop.

player

There is truth in both positions... Yes he has sales.

His girlfriend, a key to the operation, makes ZERO salary. How long can that last? When will she dump him?

He is a very abrasive personality. How long before his team is poached by companies that are nicer people?

HulkSmash

There is truth in both positions... Yes he has sales.

His girlfriend, a key to the operation, makes ZERO salary. How long can that last? When will she dump him?

He is a very abrasive personality. How long before his team is poached by companies that are nicer people?

They obviously live together. The business pays their gas, cars, phones, insurance.. etc etv, i can tell you that. She has no need to make money RIGHT now.
Starting our business i didn't pay myself for a loooooooooooooooooong time. It's all part of the process

player

They obviously live together. The business pays their gas, cars, phones, insurance.. etc etv, i can tell you that. She has no need to make money RIGHT now.
Starting our business i didn't pay myself for a loooooooooooooooooong time. It's all part of the process

But did you live with a bloated, loud mouth schnook?