• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignCraft Pricing Guide...Accurate?

ThatGriffGuy

Just curious how your shop prices in comparison to the guide they send out each year. I'm not asking anyone for their pricing! Just curious if they are as accurate as they claim to be. For me they seem to be all over the place. Some of their prices are close to accurate but most are out in left field.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just checked it online and most of whats on that price guide is useless to me. The ACM was spot on for my shop rate, banners seem kind of way high, art charges and their two 4x8 installations seem way low.... I don't do cut vinyl on vehicles, or magnets or a lot of the other stuff they have on there.

Wish they had some pricing for poly signs, bucket-truck rates and travel charges.

ThatGriffGuy

Texas_Signmaker I agree it could certainly be a bit more inclusive. They list travel charges but simply the same as your hourly rate. I would like to know rates for bucket truck rates as well.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've seen as low $65 all the way up to $225 with a two hour minimum.

We use a 1 hour minimum and it decreases after that. It will change accordingly using one man or two.

As for the pricing guide...... it's just a guide. I never found it to be accurate by any means. I think it's just a buncha people guessing or projecting, just like the people on this forum.

TimToad

Texas_Signmaker I agree it could certainly be a bit more inclusive. They list travel charges but simply the same as your hourly rate. I would like to know rates for bucket truck rates as well.

Its always been meant to be used as a guide and not some rigid must do thing for the average, commercial, non-electric sign shop in conjunction with the overhead calculator and adjusted to your local geographical conditions and other factors. By creating four shop rates, it should cover everybody from a one person shop in a smaller town to a larger shop in a big urban area.

All common sense stuff and tested over many, many years.

I wish every hack out there underbidding their local market had one of these in their pocket at all times and used the overhead calculator every so often. I don't think our industry problems are related to most folks overcharging for their work, but the exact opposite. The large, formerly wholesale only trade shops and online storefronts turning everything we do into a lowest common denominator square footage price and race to the bottom and aren't taking the intrinsic value of the advertising we offer into anything. They are doing more to harm our industry than any of us using this or any other pricing guide. As more and more traditional offset and web printers look for additional revenue streams to offset their losses by the very same pressures they are getting killed by, we'll see even more low cost suppliers polluting the marketplace with subpar pricing based on business model that used to do things in much larger quantities than the typical sign shop operates on.

Its prices are based on a combination of the submissions to the monthly design/price studies and annual surveys of selected subscribers and other industry participants. Just like it has been for the last 30+ years.

Considering SignCraft magazine represents the best of our industry and receives regular input from some of the best, long lasting craftspeople in our field with many decades of experience, I put more trust in anything coming out of them than many other less qualified sources.

There could be a couple threads or more on the need for folks to see the larger picture and the forest for the trees beyond next month's bills.

We lose jobs to folks pretending they do flatbed printing to the clients and its obvious that all they are doing is going to Signs365 or others, playing middle man, marking up the products a little bit and killing the market for those who actually want to be signmakers who employ people, pay family level wages and respect the craft and not just deal makers out for the quick buck to the detriment of the local market. Every so often a client comes back and tells us the pricing that they were offered and it is usually some easily calculated amount that puts a few dollars in the competitor's pocket but does not reflect what the signs are really worth, which should always be a goal to strive for.

If a double sided 18"x24" coroplast yard sign and H Stake is actually worth $24 in its production, equipment, labor, overhead costs and its advertising value and some shortsighted sign company buys it from a wholesaler for $5 because the wholesale supplier buys boxcar loads of coroplast, ink, H Stakes, locates where wages and benefits are low and has a $150,000 machine to get an ROI as quickly as possible on, then the shortsided shop sells it for $6 for doing nothing but being a middle man, it pollutes the entire market for everyone else trying to produce things themselves. It also creates the perception in the eyes of customers that those of us making the investments in shops, equipment, employees and a long term outlook as gougers who are trying to rip everyone off which is the even greater harm.

ThatGriffGuy

Ill admit when I first started in this industry I was that asshole that found the average market price for things around me and cut them by about 15%. I was also young and an idiot when it came to running a business. I had no clue what my overhead was or what that even meant. I was running out of a spare room in my house and had no clue what I was doing. Luckily I found a mentor who basically threatened to kill me if I undercut the market anymore. He took the time to show me the effects of my careless pricing decisions and helped me learn how to figure overhead and determine my hourly rate. This was truly monumental in my life and has made me a better businessman by far. I have never used the signcraft pricing guide so the point of this thread was to see if I should be close to the prices or if being off in a few was was no big deal. thanks to the ones who contributed.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
If a double sided 18"x24" coroplast yard sign and H Stake is actually worth $24 in its production, equipment, labor, overhead costs and its advertising value and some shortsighted sign company buys it from a wholesaler for $5 because the wholesale supplier buys boxcar loads of coroplast, ink, H Stakes, locates where wages and benefits are low and has a $150,000 machine to get an ROI as quickly as possible on, then the shortsided shop sells it for $6 for doing nothing but being a middle man, it pollutes the entire market for everyone else trying to produce things themselves. It also creates the perception in the eyes of customers that those of us making the investments in shops, equipment, employees and a long term outlook as gougers who are trying to rip everyone off which is the even greater harm.

That's just bad business. I add 150% markup on all my signs365 drop shipped orders!

TimToad

That's just bad business. I add 150% markup on all my signs365 drop shipped orders!

And even that doesn't fully cover your admin, file prep, consultation time, etc.

We've seen written quotes from others that angry potential clients brought in where they were quoted banners, coroplast, etc. for very little over the rate we could get them from signs365 or other sources. These people would accuse us of trying to gouge them because the other shop was giving it away. You spread that around the whole economy enough and we wonder why its not only tough to command what the work is really worth but also why our reputation as a trade over the decades hasn't been sterling. It was bad enough when the drunk snappers and fly by nighters made us all look bad, now just expecting to make a profit on work and keep employees and shops running is too much for some.

These things we make for our clients have an intrinsic value to them above and beyond the simple costs related to their production by either us or the sources we use.

TimToad

That didnt sound right. On my price list I sell a 4x8 for $126 and can buy it for $42..so I timesed it by 3... is that a 200% markup?

That's still only $4.00 per square foot. Unless you are adding in design/file prep time, phone/email/consultation time, shipping charges, etc. you're leaving at least another couple bucks per square foot out of it. Even if we're supplied with a print ready file, which is rare, there is some time involved shepherding the job from start to finish that needs to be accounted for.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That's still only $4.00 per square foot. Unless you are adding in design/file prep time, phone/email/consultation time, shipping charges, etc. you're leaving at least another couple bucks per square foot out of it. Even if we're supplied with a print ready file, which is rare, there is some time involved shepherding the job from start to finish that needs to be accounted for.

I add a design charge that varies unless its camera ready artwork or something they pick from my stock designs (like Now Open, Coming Soon, Sale etc.) I have also $125 minimum. Years ago when I was starting my thought was to offer banners at the lowest in town to gain business. I guess it worked because I'm pretty busy and haven't raised banner prices. I recently phased out cut-vinyl vehicle graphics, magnetics and yard signs under qty of 10... so maybe I need to rethink the banner pricing because it's been starting to make me cringe when I get a banner call now. Thanks for making me think about this!

Andy D

I would like to check out the price list, how do you access it online?
If I create an account can I see it without paying for it?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
That didnt sound right. On my price list I sell a 4x8 for $126 and can buy it for $42..so I timesed it by 3... is that a 200% markup?
$126 FOR 4 X 8???? We're more than double that. If you're not $8/ft on your banners over 20 sf you're losing money.

TimToad

I would like to check out the price list, how do you access it online?
If I create an account can I see it without paying for it?

Hey Andy,

I think you can just register and access it without subscribing for a week in order to see if it or a subscription works for you. Considering the overall value of and inspirational value of the work profiled in the magazine, I can't imagine being a signmaker and not subscribing. There are other online pricing guides, but I'm not sure how they arrive at their conclusions.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
$126 FOR 4 X 8???? We're more than double that. If you're not $8/ft on your banners over 20 sf you're losing money.

I guess you missed my follow-up post addressing that price but how am I losing money? Leaving money on the table? Probably. Losing money? I thought I was making $84.

I thought about my pricing some more and decided to keep it the same for now.

Last edited:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I guess you missed my follow-up post addressing that price but how am I losing money? Leaving money on the table? Probably. Losing money? I thought I was making $84.

I thought about my pricing some more and decided to keep it the same for now.

Ha...ok. I'm not telling you what to charge. But it kinda goes with TimToad's point regarding some shops cut-rate pricing affecting the industry as a whole. You and I are in the same market....if someone calls your shop and then ours for a 4'x8' banner, there is a major gap between our prices for that. Where will that customer go? Probably to you. Do I want that cheap customer? Probably not. So please...keep your prices as is.