• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Signcut Pro2

Hi there. I'm a newbie to this software. Hoping some one can save me a lot of time working out the best way to attack this. I have just got a trial version at the moment and want to make sure it will do what I want before I purchase.

I print a lot of labels on my Xerox production press (not vinyl) just standard self adhesive. I want to kiss cut
a di line on my Mutoh vc 1300. I send to my Xerox as a pdf. I can put a kiss cut line in on separate layer or on the same layer as a "named" spot colour, happy to do what ever works. (I create in adobe illustrator)

The issue is-
I need to mesh it in with the optical registration marks that get created in Signcut. What is the best way to do this?. Maybe import as a pdf ? Get a Signcut plug in for AI. I haven't spent much time trying different options at this stage. Just hoping to get you thoughts? One potential issue is my AI is a mac version and Signcut is on my PC (do they make a mac version of Signcut? and/or do they make a mac version of the Signcut plug in.) Do Signcut even do a plug in for AI?. Do I even need a plug in? beginning to spin out :)

What is the best way to do this? I realise it's probably quite straight forward but nice to have some input.

thanks Simon

Johnny Best

I use SignCut on a Mac to use my Summa plotter. I create all my cut lines and artwork in Adobe Illustrator and save files in .eps format. I have fooled around by using cut lines in different color and I usally just create two files, one for printing on vinyl with my printer and one for cut lines which I register on the Summa to cut. SignCut was bought by a Chinese company so I do not know about customer service. Have been using it for years. The annual fee has gone up quite significantly.

Krittah

I’ve used SignCut for about a decade, but only for cut vinyl, no kiss cut printed stuff. Johnny Best seems to be able to make it work, but I believe you will do better to get Flexi, Caldera, or similar. Of course they are insanely more expensive.
I stopped using the Illustrator plug-ins, since SignCut never seems to keep up with all the Adobe updates. I save all my files as Illustrator 8 files, then open directly in SignCut.
I did chat with SignCut customer service the other week and they were surprisingly helpful and quick.
Hope that helps.

Thanks Guys. yes this is helpful. I have "colourgate" (similar to Caldera) but unfortunately this wont work with my Xerox. Will have a play around with it, the fact that Johnny can get it to work is hopeful. thanks Simon