• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Signs 365 translucent vinyl question

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have a question about printed translucent vinyl from signs 365.

How opaque is printed black? The background for my sign that I need to make is black, and I'm considering having it printed. It has some printed elements (company logo) that has to be done, and I'm considering would it be advantageous to have the whole thing printed.

bannertime

Best to just order a sample of it with the logo you want printed. It's not going to block out the light, if that's what you're wanting.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We haven't been happy with the results of black backgrounds on translucent. The last one we ended up printing the elements and using opaque black vinyl for the background. At night the printed black had looked gray - and the customer was not happy. I'd suggest a printed sample first, and make sure you look at it through the same light/substrate that you will be using it on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's kinda double-edged sword question. Anything translucent is gonna allow light to pass through, thus giving you a translucent black appearance. If you want an opaque effect, then translucent is not the way to go. Opaque means it will remain completely black, even when light is on in the back. Not light will penetrate the opaque areas. If the area can't be die-cut, then you'll just hafta put up with a translucent looking black.

edit: 30 years ago, I could never figure out why they made translucent blacks. At night, they looked brownish or greyish, just never true black.​