• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signvox frustrations. Any long time users around?

Desert_Signs

I'm REALLY trying to like it. I am.

I'm just finding it very tedious and almost a drag on my resources. I'll start with the 'training'. I was really unsatisfied. It wasn't so much training as it was a demo. We really couldn't ask questions (in fact we were told not to, to email them later) because it was run with 3 or 4 other people. I had myself and 2 employees sit in, and it was really a waste of their time. We just watched as the trainer clicked around. The chat feature has been the only thing that's saved me.

On the business end of it, I feel like I'm spending more time trying to manage SV than I am my business. If I take 4 orders, I have to spend an hour clicking things so it will clear out. If I take a deposit for a customer, I can't reconcile in quickbooks because I haven't created an invoice. There is a way to do it, but i have to do 5 extra clicks to do it, then re-export again, just to record a payment. If you don't create the job when you convert to order (why wouldn't this be automatic??) it never hits your job board and gets 'lost'.

Any of you been using this for a while and got it figured out? I used Cyrious (in combination with a google calendar system I came up with) for nearly 4 years, and for all it's faults, it was a lot simpler than this (and there were LOTS more jobs). Maybe that's not better? Maybe complicated is better?

I'm looking at it from the perspective of having to train a new employee as well. Cyrious was pretty straight forward. I can see having to spend at least a few days just teaching a counter person how to take an order.

Help? Maybe? I don't even know. I'm just really frustrated right now.

BROWNDOG

been using it since jan 2013, my employees like it, it think it gives them an excuse to look busy.. i cant stand it, takes too long to process an order, kinda like the phone call, press 1 for... press 2 for.. just get to the point already! there needs to be some short cuts, takes too long to "ring up" a quick stock item or 5 min job.
wish they had a time tracking piece to go with it for the money. as for the forgetting to create jobs and it getting lost, do it all the time. apparently I also forget to apply payments to a job and it sits in some file i cant find.

AnthonyRalano

I am sharing with you a sample proof of the signage we previously discussed. Please review the proof and approve it. So heart felt.

Desert_Signs

Do any of you use Signvox with the Quickbooks export? What the heck do you do with the undeposited funds account???

It's actual deposits, but SV wants to classify them as undeposited and I can't figure out how to clear the undeposited funds account. When I go to make deposits, none of the payments show up.

I spend 5 hours in chat today (actually posted this thread while I was waiting on them) and they have no idea what I'm talking about or why it's horribly wrong to leave funds in that account.

jtinker

Owner
I do believe Kevin-Signvox is a merchant member here and should chime in sometime today to answer this. As for me I found it really counter intuitive in functionality and layout. It was like putting a circular peg into a circular hole but i had to widdle my peg from a stump in my back yard beforehand. With that said, it works and works well most of the time- I also used cyrious and besides the sometimes god awful buggyness of it, it worked really well when I needed it to and it was fast, faster than signvox.

fresh

I don't export to QB, so I can't chime in on that. BUT you can make your own "catalog items" for things that have set specs and a set price. For example, an 18x24 Metal Real Estate sign with polymetal faces probably is the same price no matter what you do to it, and it can be set up as a catalog item.

Also, it does take an annoyingly long amount of time to input a custom job, but I'm used to it now. And its still quicker and more accurate than my previous method of looking up each component individually and calculating a price by hand.

There are plenty of annoyances, but its way better than what we were doing before.

Kevin-shopVOX

I'm REALLY trying to like it. I am.

I'm just finding it very tedious and almost a drag on my resources. I'll start with the 'training'. I was really unsatisfied. It wasn't so much training as it was a demo. We really couldn't ask questions (in fact we were told not to, to email them later) because it was run with 3 or 4 other people. I had myself and 2 employees sit in, and it was really a waste of their time. We just watched as the trainer clicked around. The chat feature has been the only thing that's saved me.

On the business end of it, I feel like I'm spending more time trying to manage SV than I am my business. If I take 4 orders, I have to spend an hour clicking things so it will clear out. If I take a deposit for a customer, I can't reconcile in quickbooks because I haven't created an invoice. There is a way to do it, but i have to do 5 extra clicks to do it, then re-export again, just to record a payment. If you don't create the job when you convert to order (why wouldn't this be automatic??) it never hits your job board and gets 'lost'.

Any of you been using this for a while and got it figured out? I used Cyrious (in combination with a google calendar system I came up with) for nearly 4 years, and for all it's faults, it was a lot simpler than this (and there were LOTS more jobs). Maybe that's not better? Maybe complicated is better?

I'm looking at it from the perspective of having to train a new employee as well. Cyrious was pretty straight forward. I can see having to spend at least a few days just teaching a counter person how to take an order.

Help? Maybe? I don't even know. I'm just really frustrated right now.

Sorry it sounds like things aren't going as smooth. However, I know they can be worked out as most of what you are doing just sounds like, not knowing what to do or a misunderstanding. So let me see if I can explain and I'll also address your latest post within this message as well.

Training - Yes sometimes we do hold many new users in one session. That's because we have many time zones to deal with and many schedules to accommodate. It's just the way it is. I'm not sure why you were asked not to ask questions as that seems ridiculous. I'll look into that and make sure that doesn't happen again. Also we've recently decided to change the format, that will offer some more personal time for owners and admin. Having said that, whenever you need help just ask. We'll be happy to spend some one on one time if it helps clarify things. Please don't spend 5 hours on chat. More than 15 minutes on a topic is too long and requires a phone call to avoid frustrations and misunderstandings. Also there are many videos, FAQ and an operations manual that will help out as well. Especially for new hires, the how to videos are very helpful for the basic things. Once you know yourself, training a new hire will be easy.

Quickbooks - When you say you spend an hour processing 4 orders, I too, find that awful excessive in terms of time. It lends me to think you're probably going about it wrong. Also when you mentioned the reconciliation of payments vs invoices etc it sounds like you may be using Quickbooks as your merchant service for credit cards? Is that true? Or are you just talking about how deposits are represented in Quickbooks once received and while you still work on that order?

In regards to the undeposited funds account. Here is how that works, and its actually quite simple in concept and use. When you export to QuickBooks with the .iif file from signVOX that .iif file contains some information. It will house customer info, invoices, payments, credit memos and purchase orders that you created in signVOX. When you export all that information goes over to Quickbooks. This will include deposits but perhaps not the invoice to that deposit as you are still working on that order. It isn't officially an invoice yet. That is no different than Cyrious. Estimate, Order & Invoices are your transaction states. Orders are "work in progress" and not an official sale until you convert them to invoice. Then if you invoice and take final payment they will get exported over to QB and you will see one invoice with 2 payments since earlier you took the deposit as payment. What you are telling me is that you know you took a payment and you need it to reflect in your operating or "bank" account in Quickbooks. Here is how you do it. Simply hit make deposit from your home screen and select that payments that need to be transferred to your bank account. That's it. You can select all or individual for the deposit as they reflect in the real world.

You see, when you import into QB, it thinks great you have some money from these customers but what should I do with it? I'll just put it in this "undeposited funds" account and wait for you to decide what payments should be part of the total deposit. Those payments that get exported to Qb will have the type and date and invoice number reflected on it. Lets say you take 15 payments for the day. 10 are credit card and the rest are cash and check. All are entered against the orders or the invoices in signVOX. When you export they all go and sit in the undeposited funds account. Which is normal. When you go to the bank you only physically deposit the cash and checks. The credit cards hit your bank account a couple days later. So when you deposit from undeposited funds to your bank account you can select which payments actually make up that deposit. That way when you can easily reconcile payments and deposits. There is nothing horribly wrong with it as it operates normally. It's ok to leave payments in there until they actually hit your account. You should move them over as deposits when those deposits are physically made.

Orders & jobs This also seems to be a misunderstanding of the concept and process. Orders contain jobs. Jobs are nothing more than the line items you sell. Jobs are the things you manage. They typically have unique requirements and quite possibly different due dates. You can't manage an order properly without looking at the individual components that make up that order. That is what signVOX does.

If you start with an estimate that is made up of many line items, convert to order it will automatically assume you want to and ask you to create and manage the jobs (which remember are your line items). You can pick and choose which jobs to deploy or skip them all and do it later. If you create an order first you will have to use the 'create jobs' button to schedule the line items into production. This doesn't happen automatically because you personally may not be ready to have it in production. signVOX doesn't assume its ready. What if you are missing files, details, specs or whatever else to get the job done? It allows you to decide when and what because that's really how the real world works at times. Also if I sell 50 step stakes to a walk in which is an order and technically a potential job do I need that to go into production? Not really.

Also if you forget to create jobs, which seems like you and others may be doing at times, you can easily see that. There is an order board just like your job board. However it shows all orders vs all jobs. Like you mentioned, if you took an order and don't make it a job, guess what; it's not on the job board. But if you look at the order board it will show all active orders and how many "line items" are not jobs, jobs in progress as well as completed jobs. If you glance at that once a day it'll instantly say hey..you forgot to deploy this one. You can even manage your jobs, just like the job board from the order board as well. There is also a report that you can pull that says "orders without jobs".

Lastly I would ask that if you are frustrated, pick up the phone and call especially if the chat isn't working after 15 minutes. Signs101 isn't the place for this type of support. As you can see it's mostly a reason to prompt complaints and not helpful information.

HulkSmash

I use Sign-Vox. Been using it for a year. I'm not seeing any difficulties at all.

The training, yeah - it's awful. You have to call in and ask for personal training. Kevin did that for me, with no problem.

I do NOT like the feature that you have to convert to invoice to see who has or hasn't paid. If you have an order paid in full, and you don't create to invoice it screws up your books.. i really think that's something they need to work on.

other then that i have no issues with it, and fly though invoices.

Desert_Signs

Quickbooks -
Here is how you do it. Simply hit make deposit from your home screen and select that payments that need to be transferred to your bank account. That's it. You can select all or individual for the deposit as they reflect in the real world.

This is the issue I tried to explain for hours yesterday. When I go to the "make deposits" screen, there is nothing there. The techs (went through 3 yesterday, I think) couldn't understand what I was trying to tell them. They said I had to go into each individual payment and change them all individually. If you can help me make this work, half of my frustration is gone. One even took over my PC with team viewer and still couldn't figure it out. Then my PC went haywire and I had to start all over.

Sorry if you think I was trying to stir the pot, I really wasn't. I like SV. I just want it to work for me.

Kevin-shopVOX

been using it since jan 2013, my employees like it, it think it gives them an excuse to look busy.. i cant stand it, takes too long to process an order, kinda like the phone call, press 1 for... press 2 for.. just get to the point already! there needs to be some short cuts, takes too long to "ring up" a quick stock item or 5 min job.
wish they had a time tracking piece to go with it for the money. as for the forgetting to create jobs and it getting lost, do it all the time. apparently I also forget to apply payments to a job and it sits in some file i cant find.

I pretty much think this is also a lack of understanding. There are short cuts and plenty of ways to ring up quick stock items. I can price any sized light box, with an outsourced cabinet, install and a permit in less than a minute. I can ring a quick stock item up in less than 30 seconds. I'd say give me a call so I can show you how as well as answer any questions you may have. I'd also guess your employees like it for more than just fooling the boss into thinking they are doing work. Again the offer to call me is there.

I am sharing with you a sample proof of the signage we previously discussed. Please review the proof and approve it. So heart felt.

it is isn't it :) However did you know this is just the default text since its better to have something than nothing. Create your own beautifully written automated text by going to

settings tab > click "proof review template > and edit the text for the email (your comment) and then the proof disclaimer text that displays when they are looking at the proof.

I do believe Kevin-Signvox is a merchant member here and should chime in sometime today to answer this. As for me I found it really counter intuitive in functionality and layout. It was like putting a circular peg into a circular hole but i had to widdle my peg from a stump in my back yard beforehand. With that said, it works and works well most of the time- I also used cyrious and besides the sometimes god awful buggyness of it, it worked really well when I needed it to and it was fast, faster than signvox.

When you say "whittle" from the stump I'm not quite sure what you are referring to. To me it sounds like it works pretty good. The peg fits the hole. However what are you "whittling"? You certainly have to "whittle" the database of items that you sell based on type, cost, markup and unit of measure for your store.

We find all the same issues at our shop. Everyone, and I mean everyone hates it. It's overly tedious and time consuming.

If its the same issues then it's more than likely you just need some guidance. Also are you an employee or an owner? Hate's a pretty strong phrase to describe something that you choose to continue to use. Hate usually is in the cancel category. Again, just call me to see if I can help.

I use Sign-Vox. Been using it for a year. I'm not seeing any difficulties at all.

The training, yeah - it's awful. You have to call in and ask for personal training. Kevin did that for me, with no problem.

I do NOT like the feature that you have to convert to invoice to see who has or hasn't paid. If you have an order paid in full, and you don't create to invoice it screws up your books.. i really think that's something they need to work on.

other then that i have no issues with it, and fly though invoices.

Yup I welcome anyone to call and hopefully I can shed some light on things or explain it so you get it.

As far as the invoices deal..that's what it is . Quote, orders and invoices. If you invoice before you finish the job technically you should be paying taxes on that job (unless its cash basis but you can set that up too for tax reports). You shouldn't have to do that if you are still working on it, which is why there is an order. Technically its a WIP. You can easily see in a variety of ways of what orders have balances and payments. First is if it's an invoice. You can check receivables, aged trial balance and past due invoices with amounts due from reports menu or your collections dashboard and POS tab.

If you are working off of orders to see who owes you money you can do that too. The easiest is to use the POS Tab and then click on the orders tab.

You can easily see how many are in WIP, on HOLD or Completed and filter by each. It also shows payments and balance due. Pull up the completed ones and convert to an invoice. Also if you mark all jobs as closed when they are done as you complete them and once all are finished it'll automatically flag it as "completed" and send an alert to the person responsible to bill the customer. You don't even have to look it up. I'm not quite sure how it messes up your books. If it messing them up let me know how so we can identify what you are doing vs how signVOX does it and maybe make it better. Quotes are quotes, orders are WIP and invoices are what you pay taxes on and are only created once you complete the order.

Screen Shot 2014-04-04 at 11.28.33 AM.jpg

Kevin-shopVOX

This is the issue I tried to explain for hours yesterday. When I go to the "make deposits" screen, there is nothing there. The techs (went through 3 yesterday, I think) couldn't understand what I was trying to tell them. They said I had to go into each individual payment and change them all individually. If you can help me make this work, half of my frustration is gone. One even took over my PC with team viewer and still couldn't figure it out. Then my PC went haywire and I had to start all over.

Sorry if you think I was trying to stir the pot, I really wasn't. I like SV. I just want it to work for me.

No worries I just want to make sure we take care of your issues and will do. I've just been waiting for that side of the world to wake up before I call you which I will do in just a few.

SignVOX

Merchant Member
Thanks for taking time...

Hi All,
First of all I am really really thankful to all of you who took time to post and discuss issues here. As a co-founder I try to pay more attention to criticism than praise, cause it gives me an opportunity to get better. Again thanks to all of you, your time is precious you could have said, forget it and moved on, but you took time to tell us where we can make our software better. Appreciate it.

Now, w.r.to individual issues, Kevin and I will chime in as needed and I want to talk about the issues below.

1. Training - Yes we felt it wasn't adequate especially for the Admin/Setup side of things. Hence we changed our training session to be two sessions one for Admin/Setup with the person who will be in charge or the go to person in a company for signVOX. And the second session to be how to use signVOX with the rest of the staff. I hope this will help all the new users.

For existing customers, we are going to start a weekly webinar with two sections.
a. Take a specific topic and show that feature completely with examples on how to set it up, how to use it etc.,
b. General QA - Any questions you all have can be answered during that webinar.

Secondly, I as the co-founder am going to have a webinar session once a month for Owners/Store Mgrs to talk about what is the future of signVOX what are the new things that are coming soon and if there are things that we need to concentrate which the community needs.

2. Quick Books - Especially to the question about Un-deposited funds. The way Un-Deposited funds work in QB is it is a transient account like Estimates/Purchase Orders. It is just a holding place till you "Deposit" to the right chart of accounts. Now this "undeposited funds" is a special account that Quick Books creates. You cannot setup any account in QB and call it "undeposited funds" account and when payments from SV are sent to this Chart of Accounts and then you say "Bank Deposits" if you do not use the "undeposited funds" account created by QB by default you will not see your payments when you click on "Bank Deposits". So for the person who raised this, send me or kevin and email and we can fix that easily. I will also let the support staff know about it, and may be it was some one new or who does not know much about QB.

3. Chat support - Here is a rule I use and I tell the staff, if you are chatting with a customer on a given topic more than 5 minutes it is not working. Customer and support are not on the same page. Cause if there is a problem, either it can be solved (should be quick like a flag or so) or it is a bug or it does not have that functionality. So for you all also, if the chat support is going beyond 5-7 minutes and the chat page is more than 2-3 pages, you can tell them to ask some one to contact you with this issue. You should not be chatting for 5 hrs , yes I will be frustrated too. I will do the things on my side and for all our customer reading this, if chat is more than 5 minutes and more than 2 pages it is not working, get some one to call you to resolve the issue.

Again, thanks for you time and as we have been doing , we are here to help.

Desert_Signs

Kevin/Rao,

THIS is why I'm working my butt off trying to understand SignVox and make it work for me. You guys are responsive and DO care about your customers. It shows. Every day it gets easier.

Kevin spent over an hour with me on the phone this morning helping me solve my issues. Thanks. I mean it. There aren't many companies that would do that.

You have no idea how much it means to a customer to be treated like that. :rock-n-roll:

AnthonyRalano

Kevin, I am just kidding about the default proof. I like SignVox. I do advise the user changing it up for the customer that has several revisions or they realize that you are sending them a default message.

shoresigns

Signvox is quite powerful if you put in the work to build your catalog and customise everything the way you want it.

However, the biggest problem for us by far is the speed. Page load times and lag are awful, and like others have said that's why it takes ages to put together a custom quote. That bit of lag every time you add an item, adjust a qty, etc. If they could make it run as fast as navigating through my Gmail inbox, then Signvox would be truly amazing.

Centro Graphics

the software is nice, but like others have said, for us it just seems to take up to much time on input. Im not convinced by the text chat support either, some questions seemed as if they had to refer to a handbook to try answer a question, but took too long, or worse couldn't answer the question.

Sorry don't want to a SV basher, as I can see it has benefits but not for us in the end.

Thanks to kevin though for trying to help, much appreciated.

Snook

Signvox not Bad.

Hello all,

We have just completed our first year using SV. We have about 6 users using it in different locations. We primarily just make real estate signs. My assessment of SV is that I really like it. I actually like it a lot. Before SV, we were using Google Docs and emailing proofs back and forth between many people. Just the online proofing alone has saved us a bunch of time. The only negative thing I can say is that there are areas of the software that are extremely slow. It seems to be when we try to access a customer that has lots of contacts. Some of the real estate offices we serve have over 500 agents as contacts. My mother in law will go do laundry while she waits for the page to load. If that part does not improve, we may be forced to find another solution, but for right now we really like SV (except for the occasional slowness). Also, thanks to Kevin and Rao for being responsive and accountable. Don't see that much anymore.

JJM7288

I can't understand changing from Cyrious to SignVox. I mean no disrespect but SignVox requires too many clicks and different screen views for estimating (only video viewed). The export to QB work around is manually posting a batch transaction to the GL. The export only updates 5-7 GL accounts anyhow so it's quite simple.
We have been using Cyrious SMS and Control since 2001. I can't imagine operating our business without it. Control took some time to implement but it is worth the effort, amazing tool.

RyanFelty

Ill give a positive shout out to Signvox. Been using it for 2-3 years now and has evolved the organization of our business. Some things we don't use but overall it keeps everybody on the same page and aware. If you want something specifically tailored to YOUR business you'll pay a ton of money so I have looked at it as a great tool for the price. :thumb: