• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

silk screening made easy

jona

I can't take the credit for this but its too cool not to share .
For small screening jobs my close friend uses a vinyl cutter to prepare the copy, weeds it out in reverse removing only the type or graphics and applying what's left to the prepared screen with its own adhesive backer thus doing away with having to burn and develop the screen in the traditional way:Canada 2::Canada 2:

p3

what about pulling it off and stretching the mesh? then you have to have the tension redone. and the adhesive getting caught in the mesh? It happens with just regular tape...

B Snyder

Pulling the vinyl off shouldn't stretch the mesh any more than when you pull off your blockout tape, meaning not at all. Any adhesive caught in the mesh will come out just as easily as your emulsion would.

d fleming

Old trick for short run one color, has it's good and bad. You can also use reverse cut black vinyl stuck directly to the screen as film positive, washes off with emulsion after exposure. I wouldn't use this method for more than one color work.

klemgraphics

just apply the vinyl to a shirt a use krylon
That's what I do, works great! I market it as custom airbrushed t's!:biggrin:

I have used calendared vinyl on on screens before and it does work ok for short runs. I find that it is almost easier to coat with emulsion though myself, as it seems like quite a mess when you go to reclaim a screen that you've used vinyl on.

Mosh

Been doing that for years on runs without halftone work. We use is on stuff up to 6 colors as long as there are no tones. It holds up for about 300 prints on average. BTW it DOES NOT work with solvent inks for like banners and decals, trust me only Plastisol will work with it.

kage

ive done it that way for a long time too, no screen damage. What i found is your best off to remove the vinyl when your done cuz it sticks terribly after a few days and is harder to remove.:Canada:

G-Artist

SILKSCREEN?????

The SGIA and its predecessor organizations used to spend tens of thousands of membership
money to educate the public that the craft were screen process printers, a.k.a. screen printers
and we have folks in our industry and related industries still using the term "silk."

Can any of you even buy silk anymore w/o placing special orders with a specialty supplier?
Does anyone outside of a handful of (non-commercial) artists use silk anymore?

Pardon my rant but if you use the term "silkscreen" then you had better be using silk or
you just sully the entire industry. Not to mention that businesses who advertise themselves
as "silkscreeners" may find themselves in a bit of a pickle when the customer, who wanted
the distinct look of a silk mesh print (it is distinctive) and didn't get what was bargained for.

Vinyl works (somewhat) so doesn't the old touche and glue method....lol.

Paper stencils work well. Used them all the time for printing billboard sheets.

artsnletters

SILKSCREEN?????

The SGIA and its predecessor organizations used to spend tens of thousands of membership
money to educate the public that the craft were screen process printers, a.k.a. screen printers
and we have folks in our industry and related industries still using the term "silk."

Can any of you even buy silk anymore w/o placing special orders with a specialty supplier?
Does anyone outside of a handful of (non-commercial) artists use silk anymore?

Pardon my rant but if you use the term "silkscreen" then you had better be using silk or
you just sully the entire industry. Not to mention that businesses who advertise themselves
as "silkscreeners" may find themselves in a bit of a pickle when the customer, who wanted
the distinct look of a silk mesh print (it is distinctive) and didn't get what was bargained for.

Vinyl works (somewhat) so doesn't the old touche and glue method....lol.

Paper stencils work well. Used them all the time for printing billboard sheets.
do you really think that customers (and even us here to a degree) really know the difference between an actual "silk" screen and a fine synthetic (nylon?) mesh screen? Or care? It's a generic term to a degree.

We have thousands of people out there who have a plotter in the garage with a PC and some pirated software calling themselves sign designers and sign professionals. I think that sullys an industry far more than referring to screen printing as silk screening... It's all in the nomenclature.
JMO
Tim

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah G, I wouldn’t beat yourself up over a technical term being thrown about incorrectly…. especially here.

Many of the people here call themselves business people, sign people and entrepreneurs, but arts & crafts fit many and newbie fits the rest. No harm. No foul.

Heck, I’m a lesbian, but I’m not all about technicalities. If the fooe shits wear it.

signage

Didn't he post this photo last week:help:bushmill::omg2:

Attachments

• dtg.jpg
    dtg.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 104

G-Artist

I knew you were going to add that, Gino.

I have said that for years myself....lol.

I am not going to beat myself up over the terminology but you would think that if anyone
would have an understanding it would the industry's own craft folks.

Show me a 'silkscreener' [sic] who can print the dot matrix on cathode ray tubes or anything
having to do with precision electronics whether for home use or on the space shuttle.

There is a lot more "print fabrics" in the industry other than silk, organdy, polyester, nylon and
the like. We use many high-precision metal meshes as well. Both heated / unheated and electrically
charged.

To me a "silkscreener" is a dude working out of his dirt floor garage. That's the connotation / image
I get when I hear that term.