• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

silkscreennow.com

p3

http://www.workhorseproducts.com/ - I wouldn't just get something cheap to do shirts. If your going to do it, do it right. You will get invested, then realize what more you need and then have to start all over again on acquiring equipment that is worth working with. I worked with this stuff in the past and is what I recommend.

There's also this - http://ryonet.com/

If you have the space, get at least a 6 color/4 shirt press. Obviously more if you can, but anything less is almost worthless I have found in my own experience.

Info for a nOOb would be to get involved with screen printing before getting in over your head. I wanted to start screen printing, knew what I wanted, needed my parents for help financially. They got involved on equipment and some people sold them on some equipment that was worthless and they are now paying for it and wish they would have just listened from the beginning. Until you are doing it every day, know what you need, know what will help you stay productive I wouldn't jump in and purchase anything. A lot of people sell the "kits" or starter sets but its pretty basic, also makes some of the stuff a lot harder in the long run. Invest in good equipment, create a good product and have fun doing it, otherwise you will get burnt out really quick no matter how big or small the job. We make good money when we do t-shirts, but it being the biggest hassle ever makes me not want to do it. Also, there are other businesses that go under that you can get the equipment from, cheap! When I was looking at stuff I found a place that went under and was getting rid of a complete shop: 1 automatic press, 2-8 color/8 shirt presses, 2- 4 color/4 shirt presses, 2-1 color/1 shirt presses, press to do signs, air dry racks, gas drier, a small electric drier, hundreds of screens, tons of mesh for screens, the screen stretching deal so you can make all your own screens when they go bad, vacuum sealed light table, ink storage, sinks, a couple mac's, miscellaneous supplies like ink, vellum, emulsion and everything for 40k. What we got ended up being a little more than that, and not nearly what we could have had in terms of quality of equipment either.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you jump and ensure your going to make the most bang for your buck.

TheJaspMan

After starting at the bottom I will say this: given the chance I would NEVER have wasted my time or money on these kits. Esp not in this economy.

For less than $800 I saw a 4/4 Riley, 16x16 flash and Little Buddy dryer. The rest of the supplies are $100.

Never fear used in screen equipment. The stuff is built for long-term use and simple to work on. It's the rest of the business (including the actual pressing) that is the tough part. It's an art, it's a frustrating and repetative art.

Sticker Dude

I built my 4 color press and use it maybe 2-3 times a week
here are the plans I followed Came out very nice work horse
I do have some problem lining up 4 colors but most of mine are 2 color
www.printingplans.com
All my ink and supplies I get from Ryan @ ryonet www.silkscreeningsupplies.com
They offer a silver press well worth the money I worked on one for about a weeks time and very well built and it has an optional micro reg.
that guy from silkscreennow.com is a goober his stuff does work but he is trying to make it big like Ryan Moore from Ryonet

d fleming

AWT has good used t-shirt presses from time to time. Stick with the well known, proven manufacturers of production equipment or you will live to regret it. AWT is just one source but they carry many brands as well as their own. I have an old M&R 4 station manual, 6 color with many extra pallets for different printing applications, flash and a conveyor dryer. Been using it almost 20 years. I wouldn't do it with any less. One station printing is not an option for textile work if you value your time.

diamondavenue

second on the right now go used. tons of equipment out there fairly cheap. definitely know your market before jumping in though, alot of cut throat pricing right now just trying to keep the doors open and daily costs are rising. its not an easy business to be in.

TheJaspMan

AWT has good used t-shirt presses from time to time. Stick with the well known, proven manufacturers of production equipment or you will live to regret it. AWT is just one source but they carry many brands as well as their own. I have an old M&R 4 station manual, 6 color with many extra pallets for different printing applications, flash and a conveyor dryer. Been using it almost 20 years. I wouldn't do it with any less. One station printing is not an option for textile work if you value your time.

Agreed. I have an M&R 6/6 with side clamps and such. We outsource anything bigger to an autopress. Time is money in this business.

second on the right now go used. tons of equipment out there fairly cheap. definitely know your market before jumping in though, alot of cut throat pricing right now just trying to keep the doors open and daily costs are rising. its not an easy business to be in.

The cut throat crap hurts everyone. All these rinky-dink places offering deals that drive the prices down while cotton (and everything else) goes up every three months. It drives me crazy.

txsurfer

If you are going to be serious, go only M & R, We have 4 Manuals and One Auto, You must have Exact Registration or your press will be worthless!

Pat Whatley

second on the right now go used. tons of equipment out there fairly cheap.

Where? Not doubting you but I can't find it. I've been looking for a used 2-4 color press for two years now and haven't found one. I'm not looking for production quality equipment, I'm a sign shop, not a t-shirt shop, it's just something I want to play with. My homemade press gets cumbersome.

Pat I will let you know next time I hear of something, I get calls almost monthly with ppl trying to get rid of their screenprinting equipment because it just isn't what they expected (even though everyone tells them exactly what it will be).

I sold M&R and Hix for years. If going auto M&R is the way to go, manual Hix are great..but I ran a few Hopkins for years without a hiccup.

The cost that new people looking into printing textiles almost always fail to consider is a conveyor drier.