• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Silvering Matte Laminate on Vehicle Wrap

WorldWideWebb

Hello fellow sign makers,

I start with the facts...

I understand that there will be inherent problems printing UV ink on wrap material and laminating without any heat. My issue is this. i am using a new brand of Avery Wrap material that is "specifically designed for UV printers". We are trying to convert an E-350 into an A-Team van. The install went great with only a few issues. A little overstretching on some compound curves made the ink crack. Surprise right... The driver side has a ghosted white appearance and shows some of my squeegee marks. The passinger side turned out great. We were able to take advantage of a few warm days in December and the sun cooked out the slivering so we are good to go. I am now trying to fix the driver side and using lots of heat and squeegees to smooth out the marks. any suggestions?

Material:

Avery DOL1380Z - Lam
Avery MPI1105 - Vinyl

Fuji KI CMYK ink

Attachments

• DSCF2440.JPG
    DSCF2440.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 689
  • DSCF2441.JPG
    DSCF2441.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 437
  • DSCF2442.JPG
    DSCF2442.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 356

jfiscus

Rap Master
I have never heard of UV ink for wraps. Are you sure it was properly outgassed before lamination?
Try a UV lamp? A torch can make things magically get better but can burn things quick too.

WorldWideWebb

Yes I am using torches. I am even trying MAP gas (making very sure not to overdo it). UV can work for wraps but solvent printing and even latex is so much better. Unfortunately there is no outgassing to be had with UV ink. The lamps cure it instantly. I even waited the standard 24 before wrapping. Thanks for the suggestions though!

WorldWideWebb

It figures. I love suppliers and the yarns they can spin sometimes. Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to try a these tips and see what comes of it. Hopefully I can get a sunny day but December around here only holds 20's and 30's. I appreciate the posts. The members here have never failed me over the years.

Thanks again!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Yes, with those special considerations listed by Avery for UV inks (heat assist), it can be laminated to UV inks.
That doesn't mean you should then try to wrap a vehicle with it.
UV cured inks (at this point in time) are not meant to be stretched (as on a vehicle curve) for the specific reason you stated..."...some compound curves made the ink crack."