• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple newbie laminator question

upandup

I am really new at this and have a question that may be obvious, but I would rather not guess. I just purchased the US Tech Pro 65S laminator and will be laminating various size posters. I have watched the videos on setting up the laminator, which is straight forward, but the video shows roll to roll.

My question is - if I am doing various size laminations instead of roll how do I end my lamination? For example, if I am laminating a 3' poster and it passes through the pressure roller I would need it to come out a few inches past that roller to cut it off, but then the vinyl adhesive would be resting against the lower pressure roller and rear work table. Is this okay and normal?

Thanks

player

One method is to use a sheet or board that is larger than the sign you are laminating. This is called a sled...

I would not laminate something and let the laminate go without something to stick it to.

boxerbay

when you finish a roll of laminate you have this roll of backing paper. we load that roll onto the second bottom roll. so when we need to do what you mentioned we just feed some of the backer paper into the laminator by slipping it under the tail of the poster as it goes in.

upandup

Thanks for both of your input. I actually have a roll of 20 lb bond from an old inkjet that I'm probably going to load on my front roller that I can follow my laminates through. This will be a cheap and easy solution.

Thanks again!

upandup

Okay, got that part figured out, but now I am confused on one other point. Since I will not be going roll to roll, after I end a poster and cut it off how would I keep tension from the rear? Is rear tension even necessary? I would also think it is not wise to leave the upper roller against the lower when not in use, so if I raise it after I'm finished would I need to essentially re-setup each time I use it?