• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sintra backers with laminated aluminum faces, how to?

TSC1985

Hello,

I have this client that wants to replicated what is currently existing but with new colored faces. It seems that he has 1" Black Sintra (possibly foam) that has .040 Aluminum laminated to the front of the cut letters. My question is how do I go about A.) laminating the aluminum to the sintra, do i do them once the letters are cut out of each material or should I laminate the 4'x8' sheets together before cutting? B.) What would be a good bonding agent for the sheets?

I have attached some photos for reference.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Thank you very much for all your help, this place is awesome.

Attachments

• 20160315_111637.jpg
    20160315_111637.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 20160315_111643.jpg
    20160315_111643.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 145

J Hill Designs

I do this all the time - I use mactac IB2107 laminating sheets (they are like 17"x22" sheets) but any permanent double sided adhesive should do (some come in quite large rolls)

mount before routing.

I usually mask, then route, so I can spray the edges after routing to get rid of the 'metal laminate' shiny edge

edit: that 'p' looks odd, possibly routed face-up, routed 1/4" deep then cut through

rossmosh

I do this all the time - I use mactac IB2107 laminating sheets (they are like 17"x22" sheets) but any permanent double sided adhesive should do (some come in quite large rolls)

mount before routing.

I usually mask, then route, so I can spray the edges after routing to get rid of the 'metal laminate' shiny edge

edit: that 'p' looks odd, possibly routed face-up, routed 1/4" deep then cut through

Have you ever tried 3M Spray 90?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever tried 3M Spray 90?

I would never trust the 90 or the 77 outside. I used to buy both of them by the case and they are fine indoors, but I doubt outside will last very long.

We get a double sided solvent adhesive 50" roll and laminate them onto the substrate. The rolls are like 450' long. We then, put some hefty weights on them and let them sit for a day or two, before routing. Rarely have anything delaminate, but it's happened.

TSC1985

I would never trust the 90 or the 77 outside. I used to buy both of them by the case and they are fine indoors, but I doubt outside will last very long.

We get a double sided solvent adhesive 50" roll and laminate them onto the substrate. The rolls are like 450' long. We then, put some hefty weights on them and let them sit for a day or two, before routing. Rarely have anything delaminate, but it's happened.

Gino,

Do you recommend a spray adhesive or sheet adhesive for outdoor use?