• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sintra?

Ryan Scott

This may be a stupid question, but I keep getting asked what the difference is between sintra and PVC. Is there actually a difference? From my understanding they're essentially the same thing.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Yes but actual Sintra is usually a much nicer substrate. Just costs more.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
However, while being the same in most characteristics, it contains encapsulated lead. If you use a sheet in full, it's perfectly fine. If you cut it with any kinda tool, you will be opening those encapsulations and allowing lead into the air.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yes but actual Sintra is usually a much nicer substrate. Just costs more.

Twaddle. I'd give long odds that if you were presented with an array of like sample from all of the different brands you could not select the Sintra sample with any accuracy beyond chance.

rjssigns

If that's directed towards me, I'm not quite sure I follow the question.

Hi Gino,
Yes the question was directed towards you. Now that I know lead is in the product I need an alternative. Never realized that lead was in Sintra. I use a generic version my supplier calls foam-pvc, which I'm sure is chock full of the stuff. Made tons of signs with it over the years.(probably why I'm half crazy)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's what I thought.

It's only in Sintra, that I know of. I found this out about 20 years ago and even my vendor didn't believe me. He did some research and while its a well hidden fact, it is in there. It can't hurt you til you cut it or burn it, but the vendor said, he was cutting 100's of sheets a day for his customers, so his people were very exposed to it.

The thread was about Sintra, so I was only referring to that. As far as I know, anything from Celtec, Trovicel, Komatex, and just about any other PVC is alright. One of the reasons Sintra could make the statement, their colors did not fade as quickly as the competitors when use outside.

From an article about Sintra................

Toxicity of Sintra and other plastic sheet screen substrates
There has been mention of Sintra expanded PVC sheeting containing lead and perhaps not being safe to use in making a DIY screen for the home. While it is true that Sintra does contain a form of lead, as well as other heavy metals, these are bound to the polymers in the plastic and do not leech out over time. Similar heavy metal stabllizers are also in many forms of PVC tubing used in plumbing systems in the U.S. today.

The heavy metals (actually their salts) are only a heath concern when the material is in powdered form (and can be inhaled) or when it is exposed to high enough heat to decompose the plastic (as in burning it).

It is always a good idea to look into the safety of materials that we will be exposed to in our homes or working environments, especially if children may be in these areas since they tend to chew on things, but from a DIY screen standpoint, plastic sheeting that is to be painted and hung on a wall is out of "toothing range" and of little danger.

rjssigns

Thanks Gino!
I'm going to run by my supplier and get the MSDS and double check. We get exposed to enough stuff everyday without doing it on purpose.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Gino!
I'm going to run by my supplier and get the MSDS and double check. We get exposed to enough stuff everyday without doing it on purpose.

Yes, we are exposed to quite a bit everyday, that's why I drink so much everyday. Alcohol is a great cleansing agent.
GINO.gif

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
Twaddle. I'd give long odds that if you were presented with an array of like sample from all of the different brands you could not select the Sintra sample with any accuracy beyond chance.

I don't know about that, Bob... I've seen "sintra" that was way more flexible (read: flimsy) for a given thickness, than actual Sintra and also, Sintra, in at least a few cases, has a less 'porous', smoother finish.