• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Skulls? Used in advertising.

threeputt

Maybe some of you "hip-er" cats can help an older cat out. But what's up with all these skull designs being used in advertising?

I'm quite sure I'm missing some of the subtleties here.

But just exactly what does the use of skulls in a design "say"?

Fanaticus

"We're cooler than the other guy!"
or
"I just got out of prison and used my commonsary funds to start this business"

But, I really don't know.

Pat Whatley

....and dammit Charlie, if you don't lose that dancing cursor I'm going to send Mosh to Illinois with a truck load of pig manure to dump in your car.

WildWestDesigns

Maybe some of you "hip-er" cats can help an older cat out. But what's up with all these skull designs being used in advertising?

I'm quite sure I'm missing some of the subtleties here.

But just exactly what does the use of skulls in a design "say"?

Personally I always liked skulls. When I was younger, the school shrink had my parents called in because I liked skeletor a little too much.

For me, it's one of those things that I've always just liked. It's not for everyone and I am selective of my usage of it or try to be. Of course, while I'm typing this I'm fixing to have a big 14x14 of my avatar done on a button down.

TheSnowman

Personally I hate skulls and I think they're super lame.

Couldn't agree more. If someone advertises it, I assume they have no tact at all when it comes to running a business professional, and all they want are hardcore party people in there, and that ain't me...so they aren't catering to me to come there.

Yea, that's a stereotype, and it's not always true...but when I see it, it's normally what that means...so they ruin it for everyone else.

Mosh

"I just got out of prison and used my commonsary funds to start this business"

People come in my shop all the time to get signs for their new "business" and we often label them this way. Most only make it a month or two, cause they are catering to the "bar fly" crowd, and they ain't got any money (on average)

Flame

Tsk tsk you guys need to get out more. You'd be shocked at how many white chick t-shirts I sell with hot pink skulls on em.

Different strokes for different folks. Recognize it, understand it, embrace it, make fat deposits every Friday.

CanuckSigns

People come in my shop all the time to get signs for their new "business" and we often label them this way. Most only make it a month or two, cause they are catering to the "bar fly" crowd, and they ain't got any money (on average)

LOL, we get this too! unless you are opening up a bar selling cheaper beer, the village drunks aren't gonna buy anything!

artbot

a skull in your graphic means "i thought i was cool in the 2000's". just like checker board in the 80's. or marblized in the 60's. i'll be glad when the whole tattoo piercing thing is over too.

Mike F

If it adds something to the design or just fits in with it, and it's not just there to be there, I can dig it. It can also make something just as lame as flames or tribal (looking at you Ed Hardy).

WildWestDesigns

Y'all would be surprised about the skull thing. Outside my own, I've had to do cow skulls, horse skulls, and of course, the traditional human skull. It does depend on the design itself.

Although having said that, the flaming skulls aren't my thing.

Pat Whatley

Ask any long-term tattoo artist how much he's made in the last 10 years doing tribal arm bands & tramp stamp tattoos and he'll probably start laughing.

Your next big fashion trend is gonna be Hello Kitty shirts. Get yours early.