• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Slate signs

Martin Denton

Does anyone have any experience CNC routing slate or granite? we have an AXYZ cnc router and currently sub this work out, just wondered if it can be done on our router and if so what settings and what tools etc? I am thinking in terms of V Carving, rather like we would do for wood signs plus of course cutting the perimiter once carved. If this is feasible is there a specific grade/ type of slate you should use for this?

MachServTech

I have done some small slate signs and coasters with a 90W CO2 Laser. It worked well. Sealed with a liquid overlaminate but I don't think that was necessary Could be a good excuse to buy a laser if you don't have one. Just be aware they are a fire hazard and need to be monitored at all times. (when cutting or engraving flammable materials...not stone of course.)

Martin Denton

We don't have a sandblasting setup, so in the first instance was hoping I could do it with my existing kit. We don't get large volumes just occasional enquiries.

d fleming

I'v sand blasted granite tiles for memorial walls but I do my cutting with a wet saw. Marble as well, window sills for the house, etc.