• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small Engine Turn Gold vinyl.... why so hard to find?

toucan_graphics

I am quoting a job for a client who retrofits vehicles for fire departments and police departments. They would like me to complete the lettering and markings on a few new fire trucks and was surprised to find that the engine turn gold pattern is nearly impossible to find anymore.

Currently there are only two manufacturers that I have found through my current distributors: Sign Gold and Schein Holographics. I have not been impressed with other Schein Holographics products I have tried but I also don't want to fork out $100 for a 15"x2 yard sheet of Sign Gold from Fellers.

Does anyone have a source for small engine turn gold vinyl that will perform as intended and not break the bank?

Thanks

letterman7

Both FDC and Avery have an engine turn gold, but they are both polyester. I've used both Sign Gold and Real Gold successfully. So you will have to determine what level of quality you want and where you want to spend it. I think I've only had one fire department that wanted specifically the polyester film, knowing it has a very short life span. Step up and upsell your upfitter to the RealGold or Signgold. More expensive, but proven in use with fire departments.

SignosaurusRex

If you don't wanna spring for the 22k Gold impregnated vinyl, you can find the polyesters from the following brands...
~Arlon
~Avery
~FDC
~Vinyl efx

I do a lot of fire trucks, and my general rule of thumb is no polyester films on fire trucks. No matter what you do, they just don't last. Sign Gold is the only one making the small engine turn 22 kt. film, but it is only 1/4" turns which is too small for most truck lettering anyways. Are you sure the standard large engine turn won't work? If it will, go with the Real Gold brand.