• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small format auto feeder print-to-cut machine decision

GCC or Graphtec auto feeder

• GCC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graphtec

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raghaus

hi all –
I have generated quite a bit of business with small-ish run custom contour cut stickers and labels. Some printed on a Xerox, some printed on a Mimaki UV machine, all OPOS registered and contour cut with a Summa D60. Works a treat and is pretty damn accurate and satisfactory.

EXCEPT - loading more than 25 sheets or so into the Summa is not fun, nor very efficient and I have been digging around the web a little bit and came across a few auto feed solutions.

My current choices would be Graphtec: https://www.graphtecamerica.com/f-mark2
or GCC: https://www.gccworld.com/goods.php?act=view&no=71

Here are my thoughts, which lead me to the big question... the GCC is a little cheaper and the solution overall looks a little more together, Graphtec was recommended to me before I purchased the Summa and performance in terms of registration seems to be up to par with the Summa. That would be a huge plus for the Graphtec. All in all the thing feels a little frankenstein'd – in the end, functionality and reliability would be more important.
I have no clue if the GCC is any good – the high end plotters seem to be right up there with Summa and Graphtec.

Does anyone here have any experience with either one of these solutions? Would you swing one way or the other, and why?

Thank you!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Summa just came out with this sheet feeder. Not sure if that's what you want but anyways.
  • Support of common copier sizes: A4, A3, SRA3, SA3 Letter, Tabloid and TabloidExtra.
  • Compatible and retrofittable with S One desktop models, S1D60 and S1D75, as well as existing SummaCut D60 models – in the field

Last edited:

Raghaus

That's perfect - I'll look into this, this way I don't have to change much of anything...

Thank you.

Summa just came out with this sheet feeder. Not sure if that's what you want but anyways.
  • Support of common copier sizes: A4, A3, SRA3, SA3 Letter, Tabloid and TabloidExtra.
  • Compatible and retrofittable with S One desktop models, S1D60 and S1D75, as well as existing SummaCut D60 models – in the field

Raghaus

I have done all sorts of labels on the Xerox, mostly paper. Neenah Estate label No. 8 is my house paper stock and then some Spinnaker, Milcoast waterproof poly, eggshell labels, Kraft etc...

GB2

Old Member
That is brilliant! I'm trying to find more info but it doesn't seem to be available on Summa. Do you know if it will work with a new T160 Opus Cam

Mimaki cutter plotter can "search" for copies, I set up the cut file for one copy in Illustrator, set up the number I want in rip, mimaki will find the copies and read cut marks for each.

Do you cut the same design for every xerox print? If so paperfox die cutter may be an option

GB2

Old Member
No, only D60 and D75.
So I see the info on the Summa website for that option on the S1 plotters like you said. I'm not quite sure about those new models, I don't know why someone would chose the Summa S1 D160 vs the T160 Opus Cam. One apparently is drag knife and the other is tangenital but so what, and other than that I don't know what the difference is. They both appear to have the Opus Cam but I wonder if it's the same cam.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So I see the info on the Summa website for that option on the S1 plotters like you said. I'm not quite sure about those new models, I don't know why someone would chose the Summa S1 D160 vs the T160 Opus Cam. One apparently is drag knife and the other is tangenital but so what, and other than that I don't know what the difference is. They both appear to have the Opus Cam but I wonder if it's the same cam.
Lets say S1-160 costs $3000 and S2T160 OPOS-CAM costs $10000.

Can you see why someone would choose the "D" series? The drag knife cuts vinyl just fine unless you really need the special features.

GB2

Old Member
Lets say S1-160 costs $3000 and S2T160 OPOS-CAM costs $10000.

Can you see why someone would choose the "D" series? The drag knife cuts vinyl just fine unless you really need the special features.
I had a feeling you were going to say something like that! :)

Raghaus

I have a couple of Heidelberg Windmills for old school die-cutting & there are quite a few advantages to the digital route. I'm mostly interested in making this process more efficient with automation.

Mimaki cutter plotter can "search" for copies, I set up the cut file for one copy in Illustrator, set up the number I want in rip, mimaki will find the copies and read cut marks for each.

Do you cut the same design for every xerox print? If so paperfox die cutter may be an option

rjssigns

The Summa contraption is so new that the vendors don't even know about it yet... stay tuned.

Get in touch with Phil from Airmark. He should be able to answer all your questions. Surprised he hasn't joined the thread already.

Raghaus

I came across the Intec LC-600, the company is in GB with US distribution and availability. Small footprint, great functionality and performance.
I think this might be it. Still no word from Summa, or Airmark.

Last edited:

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
I have a couple of Heidelberg Windmills for old school die-cutting & there are quite a few advantages to the digital route. I'm mostly interested in making this process more efficient with automation.
I love the windmill.
Just sold my Kluge for $150
I do alot of door hangers and the windmill is the best.