• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small Parts shifting

Marty Thompson

We were given painted aluminum parts that were 4" wide x 11" high that need to be cut down to 4" x 9". We set up a jig that covered the entire table and have the vacuum turned at it's highest setting, but when we routed it slightly shifted the part. We are routing on a Zund. Any suggestions?

MikePro

3M 77 spray adhesive, comes in a can and is available at most hardware stores.
holds great to a disposable table surface when paired with vacuum, minimal effort to clean-up from finished part via rapid remover or denatured alcohol.

otherwise, why not just setup a tablesaw if you're just lopping off one-end?

Marty Thompson

thanks for the info, will try the 3M Super 77 spray. this is not just cutting off one end, it is rounded and also needs a hole drilled into it.

rossmosh

Do not use D/S tape. It's a mess.

Cover the backside of your piece with blue painter's tape. Now cover the table with blue painter's tape. Put super glue on painter's tape. Push down hard / use clamps to get the part to sit nice and flat. Do your machining.

If you're drilling holes, definitely do that operation first. Then you can use screws to hold the part in place while doing the final cut.

ikarasu

We usually premask the aluminum and use a strong double sided tape. The premask comes off easy. Heck.. If it's not a printed part we just drop it into a bucket of mineral spirits and it cleans itself and slides right off in 10-15 minutes.

Sometimes you can get by with just premasking... It seems like the premask has a better suction than aluminum does.

A few Dabs if glue in the right spot works wonders as well for stuff like this.

MoultrieMade

We usually premask the aluminum ...

Would you mind sharing what make/model of premask product you're using for this? I just do routing - no printing or finished signs, so I'm not familiar with those products. I normally use Super 77 as noted above for small letters, but I haven't found a masking material that I really like yet. They're either too tacky and leave residue on the letters or not tacky enough and fail while cutting. I often cut letters face-down so I can add stud holes, so a clean release is critical.

Josh Martinez

X-Edge Products Excellent Speed, Excellent Quality
We were given painted aluminum parts that were 4" wide x 11" high that need to be cut down to 4" x 9". We set up a jig that covered the entire table and have the vacuum turned at it's highest setting, but when we routed it slightly shifted the part. We are routing on a Zund. Any suggestions?

Marty,

I work for X-Edge Products. I would recommend our Matrix Mat https://www.xedgetools.com/x-edge-store/MATRIX-MAT-UNDERLAY-c46740521 This will greatly increase hold by not allow the part to kick out. I would also recommend out viper down cut. Let me know if you have any questions. I wish you the best of luck.

Best regards,
Josh

MoultrieMade

I work for X-Edge Products. I would recommend our Matrix Mat

Josh, this looks promising for my shop - I've been imagining a product similar to this, but I didn't know it already existed :) I just ordered one to test. I'm curious to see how it does with small (~2") letters vs the part in the video. I'm guessing the mat combined with a down-shear bit will do the trick in most situations.

Thanks!
-James