• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Small to VERY Large :)

thebirddog

eeeyyooo :)
Hi all.. I bought this image 220mm x 150mm 300DPi .. I want to make it approx 6 meters by approx 4 meters for a shop front.. we all no were this is going lol :)

Best ideas, suggestions etc to stop it pixelating really badly.. I have imported it and worked it all out at 25% scale as normal to try and help but its still pritty bad.
Publishing from CorelDraw X8 to PDF then into VersaWorks rip to Roland RF640.. I also have Adobe CC illustrator and Photoshop if that would be a better road to go down?

any suggestions / help would be splended :)

Attachments

• shutterstock_330922598.jpg
    shutterstock_330922598.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 376

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Bring it into photoshop and enlarge the image to whatever size you need but make sure to select the option, "re-sample" and then set the setting to, "Bicubic Smoother" This is the proper way to enlarge a file. There is software out there that uses different algorithms etc. enlarge files but I haven't seen any better than what I describe above.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Sounds like you might have some issues, even at 300 dpi (dots per INCH). How many dots per centimeter is that ;)

If it was me, I'd get the DSLR outta hock and go get a RAW image of the nearest Kent & Curwen store, touch it up, and work from that. Can't beat good source material.

thebirddog

eeeyyooo :)
Thanks Vander :) .. JT I tried asking for the NEF raw file but shutterstock are not having any of it lol.. simple.. I bought it as 300 Dpi so tuff :)

dbern50

300dpi would be great but anything above 150dpi is usually good for most purposes. I just wouldn't drop below that.

ikarasu

Bring it into photoshop and enlarge the image to whatever size you need but make sure to select the option, "re-sample" and then set the setting to, "Bicubic Smoother" This is the proper way to enlarge a file. There is software out there that uses different algorithms etc. enlarge files but I haven't seen any better than what I describe above.

I thought the new preserve details 2.0 was supposed to be the best option? From what people are saying, it's even better than the on1 for resizing images.

I don't do much resizing / work in photoshop, so I have no real world tests... But some of the demos I've seen with PD2.0 seem awesome.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are going from 5.5" x 8.5" to almost 20' wide and over 12' high ?? That sounds almost impossible, if those numbers are anywhere near right. Not only do the good pixels get blown way up and outta proportion, but so do the bad ones........ and they'll be a lotta bad ones.

How close/far will the on-lookers be ??

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I thought the new preserve details 2.0 was supposed to be the best option? From what people are saying, it's even better than the on1 for resizing images.

I don't do much resizing / work in photoshop, so I have no real world tests... But some of the demos I've seen with PD2.0 seem awesome.

I am behind majorly on Adobe versions so something new could have been added that I am not aware of for sure.

ikarasu

I am behind majorly on Adobe versions so something new could have been added that I am not aware of for sure.

Ah! Heres a video I saw, if you're interested -

A lot of people are saying it's the "absolute best" way to resize, including better than expensiver software. Again, I don't resize often, so I have no clue... just interested in the tech side of things, and this one was considered a "Big breakthrough" in resizing!

shoresigns

Your image is 2598 x 1772 pixels and you're printing it 6m x 4m (236"x157"). That means if you print the image as-is, you're printing at 11 pixels per inch (ppi).

Here are the standard viewing distance formulas we use:
  • resolution (ppi) = 180 / viewing distance (metres)
  • resolution (ppi) = 600 / viewing distance (feet)
  • viewing distance (metres) = 180 / resolution (ppi)
  • viewing distance (feet) = 600 / resolution (ppi)
So using the italicized formula above, your image will look fine if you're viewing it from at least 16 metres away. If you scale it up 300% in Photoshop before printing, it'll look OK from 16/3=5 metres. You won't get any more detail by scaling it up, but it'll prevent visible pixels in the print from that viewing distance.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
When I enlarge smaller images to something as large as you're wanting, I not only use the bicubic enlargement, but I also add a slight Gaussian blur to the image. Smoothes out any angularity of pixels, if they remain visible.

dale911

President
You can also get a fantastic resize by manually doing it in Photoshop. Step one is to open the image and then make the image size changed to 300 dpi. Next, having the bicuboc smoother checked, change the image size from what it is to 5% larger. Example: of the image is 8x10”, multiply 10x1.05 and you get 10.5. Then you reopen image size from the menu again and change it from 10.5 to 11.025. Keep doing this until you get to half of the final size you want. Then change the dpi back to 150 and you are at full scale and print ready. I found this in an article and was able to blow up an image to over 10x it’s original size and installed it on a 26’’x9’ wall. The image was a hint soft up close but from a couple feet away, it looked amazing. I think it took me about 45 minutes to upsize it but it was better than any of the other software I could find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoresigns

You can also get a fantastic resize by manually doing it in Photoshop. Step one is to open the image and then make the image size changed to 300 dpi. Next, having the bicuboc smoother checked, change the image size from what it is to 5% larger. Example: of the image is 8x10”, multiply 10x1.05 and you get 10.5. Then you reopen image size from the menu again and change it from 10.5 to 11.025. Keep doing this until you get to half of the final size you want. Then change the dpi back to 150 and you are at full scale and print ready. I found this in an article and was able to blow up an image to over 10x it’s original size and installed it on a 26’’x9’ wall. The image was a hint soft up close but from a couple feet away, it looked amazing. I think it took me about 45 minutes to upsize it but it was better than any of the other software I could find.

I just tested your method out of curiosity, on a low-res stock photo. I compared the following two methods:
  1. Enlarge by 105% on the Bicubic Smoother (Enlargement) setting numerous times until the image is approximately 10x the original size.
  2. Enlarge by 10x (1000%) the original size in one step, using the Automatic setting, which in Photoshop CC 19.1.5 is equivalent to the Preserve Details (Enlargement) setting with 0% noise reduction.
The results of method 2 are stunningly better than method 1, and much easier to perform since it's only one simple step.

Attachments

• resize-method-1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 261
  • resize-method-2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 277