• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smaller Printer for Decals....

Red-Eye

I need to purchase a new vinyl cutter for decals, Thermoflex film, and Twill, so I was planning on getting a 24" cutter. As I don't have a need to cut anything larger then a 15" roll typically...sometimes i'll get a 24" roll.

But I also have the need for decals sometimes, and I typically outsource this.

I have a Epson 7800 that I use for Sublimation printing. I also have a Epson 9800 that is sitting idle right now. My plan is to convert the 9800 to Sublimation eventually.

Can the 7800 able to print on vinyl, and then use the cutter to contour cut around the decals?
If so...what inks should I look into?
What Vinyl decal material should I look into?
What laminate should I look into?

ThinkRight

I need to purchase a new vinyl cutter for decals, Thermoflex film, and Twill, so I was planning on getting a 24" cutter. As I don't have a need to cut anything larger then a 15" roll typically...sometimes i'll get a 24" roll.

But I also have the need for decals sometimes, and I typically outsource this.

I have a Epson 7800 that I use for Sublimation printing. I also have a Epson 9800 that is sitting idle right now. My plan is to convert the 9800 to Sublimation eventually.

Can the 7800 able to print on vinyl, and then use the cutter to contour cut around the decals?
If so...what inks should I look into?
What Vinyl decal material should I look into?
What laminate should I look into?

http://www.rolanddga.com/products/printcut/bn/
This is all you need.

Jackpine

YES with the right cutter.
Pigment with spray or film laminate.
H&H, Kapco, Allsquare, Freedom, big fish
UV film or UV spray

google is your friend

Red-Eye

I'm familiar with the Rolands.

I don't have the $8-9k to purchase one of those, which is why I was looking to reuse my epson 7800 since I already have that.

I do wish they made a printer, like a Mutoh or Mimaki in the 24" range, to make a 24" cutter that reads Registration Marks useful. What is the point of making a 24" be able to read the marks, if there isn't a printer to use with it?

WildWestDesigns

I do wish they made a printer, like a Mutoh or Mimaki in the 24" range, to make a 24" cutter that reads Registration Marks useful. What is the point of making a 24" be able to read the marks, if there isn't a printer to use with it?

I use reg marks on our 24" cutter all the time. If find it very useful.

WildWestDesigns

what for? just curious

The biggest benefit is for heat transfers, especially if you are doing them on dark shirts where you are trying to minimize how much white there is around the edges.

Although, I must admit the biggest use for me is for cutting fabric for applique designs that are for long production runs.

keetch

I too am looking for something like this, found a roland 30 inch for 6000 but scared to buy used, so might just have to go with a 30 inch hp printer, laminate then cut with registration marks on my gcc expert lx

Red-Eye

Do some research. Every question in your original post has been answered here a thousand times.

Thanks......my post was a 2 part question.

First part was about if there is a Printer to pair with a 24" cutter w/ optical eye.
and then part two was about using a Epson for decals.

I probably could have been more clear in my post.

keetch

I have been doing some with my epson wf 1100 on aqueous material then laminated and put into my cutter with success

rcook99

As far as a cutter goes. If you had a 30" cutter with ARMS you would be able to print on a 30" roll of vinyl, laminate it and then contour cut the decals.

I used to have a Canon IPF 8000 but was unable to use the above process as Signlab did not have the correct drivers for my printer. So about 3 months ago I made the jump in to a used Mutoh VJ1204 and wish I did it a long time ago. Today i did a few jobs for die cut decals. One for 500 and the other for 100. Best of luck!

royster13

It stuns me that people think they can do runs of decals cheaper doing it themselves versus outsourcing....The only time DIY has the edge is quick turnaround time....

keetch

i recently was looking for 500 decals for myself, i seal every t shirt bag with one, it was 2x4 inches, got three quotes of 186, 270 and 380, i must be able to do this cheaper lol

royster13

i recently was looking for 500 decals for myself, i seal every t shirt bag with one, it was 2x4 inches, got three quotes of 186, 270 and 380, i must be able to do this cheaper lol

Maybe, if you are paying those insane prices.....But probably not if you are counting your time, overhead, wear & tear on equipment, etc....Glad I do not have to pay those prices....