• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Snap Weeding Vinyl

Biker Scout

Anybody else use this trick? I saw an "Oldtymer" do this when I first started out. I thought it was cool. He like using a tilted metal top table and magnets to hold his material in place.

This is just Oracal 651, cut with a really old Graphtech. Nothing fancy. Just thought I'd share how I get though hundreds of small decals with tiny type. Then when it's all weeded, I just go through really fast and pick out the holes. I usually do this while I have a movie on in the background.

[video=youtube_share;bT08xWEOekQ]http://youtu.be/bT08xWEOekQ[/video]

skyhigh

I always did it that way.
With things like that, I would always cut a few extras also. I'd rather waste a little bit of vinyl, than re-cut one little letter you may lose.

Patentagosse

This "snap" technic is what I do when vinyl permit it... not all brands / series work the same (3M 7725 is particularly good for small caracters).

One thing I do to speed-up and secure this "snap" technic is to make sure the cuts are separated. I mean by that making sure there's a gap between cut letters and surrounding vinyl. What I do is running the heatgun or torch to warm the vinyl and quickly put the sheet in the fridge (or outside for those like me living up north, especially this time of year). 60 sec. is enough. The quick change of temperature makes the vinyl to shrink just a li'l, in fact enough to make sure the exterior no longer touch the interior of the cut. If you hold the sheet over your head facing neons, you'll clearly see a distinctive white lines all-over your text so if you pull quickly on vinyl, the letters will stay on backing. It's a quick xtra step that saves me a lot of frustration.

:cool:

ProWraps

hmm. i like this. the small stuff like that is a PITA to weed.

i will for sure give this a try. looks very effective!

Techman

very nice to see it. I been doing it like that for very long time. It works really well with calendared vinyl that sets overnight so it can shrink back just a tad.

S'N'S

It works well with normal fonts, it doesn't always work well with small serif fonts or numbers.(usually weed numbers in opposite direction to letters)

SignProPlus-Chip

This is why I like cutting vinyl with split lines & easy-weed on. Just yank the end of the vinyl and VOILA!...done.

Those of you that have never tried it....play around with the split lines and easy-weed options. A bit longer to cut...but less stress later.