• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So...I want to start a yard sign business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SignBizNoob

Recent college grad here...it seems I wont be finding a good job anytime soon so I decided to look into starting a small yard sign company with intentions of eventually providing all types of signage, but I want to start small and just want to make sure I'll have everything I need to do that.....

I know I'll need a vinyl cutter and software and this is pretty much all I could afford...

http://www.amazon.com/Sign-Warehous...TF8&coliid=I1UYSNWFJQC248&colid=3SQE1DMWLV1R4

1. With that, all I would need is corrugated plastic signs, vinyl, and transfer tape to make the yard signs, yes?

2. does "adhesive backed vinyl" mean I wont need transfer tape? (i.e. this product http://www.amazon.com/24-30-Roll-Ad...7?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1316414598&sr=1-7)

Thanks for any help!!:thankyou::U Rock:

RalphGS

answers:
1: no, you also need a wheelbarrow to move the cash out of the way
2: no

so you can't find a good job so you start a sign company? :D
this is gonna be entertaining....

SignosaurusRex

Recent college grad here...it seems I wont be finding a good job anytime soon so I decided to look into starting a small yard sign company with intentions of eventually providing all types of signage, but I want to start small and just want to make sure I'll have everything I need to do that.....

I know I'll need a vinyl cutter and software and this is pretty much all I could afford...

http://www.amazon.com/Sign-Warehous...TF8&coliid=I1UYSNWFJQC248&colid=3SQE1DMWLV1R4

1. With that, all I would need is corrugated plastic signs, vinyl, and transfer tape to make the yard signs, yes?

2. does "adhesive backed vinyl" mean I wont need transfer tape? (i.e. this product http://www.amazon.com/24-30-Roll-Ad...7?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1316414598&sr=1-7)

Let me get this straight.....
You graduated from college but cant find a job so you want to start in to making signs......something you know absolutely nothing about....without the necessary education to be able to succeed? Brilliant! Oh Well....Welcome Aboard.

iSign

if you can't find a job making signs for an experienced established business, it is because the sign buying public has been cutting back on sign buying...

but one thing I can tell you as a seasoned sign business professional... signs work, because marketing works, and signs are (or at least should be) part of any good marketing plan...

...so, what does that mean to you? ...well those other seasoned sign shop veterans that you can't get hired at (assuming you tried the obvious, in seeking sign shop employment to become trained, experienced and familiar with your chosen career, before venturing forth to run your own business)... but I digress...

...those other seasoned sign shop veterans have well established marketing plans in place... and yet still see the kind of decline in business that precludes many of them from taking on additional help in this economy...

...so, for you to invest in equipment, in hopes to win enough work to launch your own brand new business, in this economy, with no experience, or training...

well, you are either an entrepreneurial wizard, a marketing genius, or a very gifted and fortunate recipient of gods good graces! :rock-n-roll:

Good luck!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What kind of degree do you have?

1. yes
2. no, you will need transfer tape

How much are you going to sell these signs for when most people can get them at Walmart or Home Depot for a couple of bucks.

By the time you layout the sign, cut it, weed it and apply it, deduct the costs, the sign is going to be too much, or not very profitable. You better aim higher if you want to make some money.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
maybe he should also do some cheap carwraps?
:popcorn:

Maybe not that high... though I would pay to watch him do his first wrap. Of course he would have to pay us to cut him out of his vinyl cocoon he would probably get himself wrapped up in...

CheapVehicleWrap

Geez... beat by 2 of you just minutes ago!

Well here goes....

Welcome. Have you considered vehicle wraps yet? You know, as a side gig?

CheapVehicleWrap

then he would have to buy a second wheelbarrow.....

Yeah right. Like anyone could actually wheel 2 wheelbarrows at once. Even a tandem barrow wouldn't work.

Might I suggest sticking with the first aforementioned wheelbarrow to haul the loot from the yard signs and a large hiking backpack for the cheap vehicle wrap profits?

This would ensure uniform lumbar support.

You always wondered what happened to those other guys didn't you? Their backs went out and they couldn't work anymore. Not that they had to.

visual800

maybe if you had worded it differently as in "Ive have always been interested in signs and decided to jump in headfirst"...instead of well the world sucks so Ill open a sign company. A little demeaning to us that have chosen this for a living. Take my advice you will never make it having that outlook. the plotter you have chosen is a POS your gonna need to pony up a couple more grand for a machine that will suit your needs.

This business is hard. Its hard to sell products because of all the other "I might as well d signs now" guys out there. BUT you going in the right direction by doing yard signs because personally I hate yard signs

Sign-Man Signs

Really? I love all these freakin newbies that are just gonna up and start a sign business. College Grad? I'm thinking FSU. So you spent 4 years getting a degree so you could get a good job. How's that working out for you? NE Florida. Don't know if you've kept up on current events, but there's a recession on. Now you're on a professional sign making forum asking how to take money out of our pockets. Brilliant! Let me know where you are so I can come in and low ball you so you can lose you start up investment. Jesus Fred why even let these guys on the site. Just pisses me off.
:doh:

Attachments

• FSU.jpg
    FSU.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 182

PromoGuyTy

Making the yard signs- easy.

Making a living at it- hard.

Consider fleshing out a business plan that includes more products/services.

Yard sign pricing can be very competitive...

signage

College education isn't what it used to be. I thought college taught you to research. Must not have done to much studying or learning because you would have realized you would not be able to compete with the internet pricing, unless you wanted to loose what money you have.

Jillbeans

I would strongly advise you to choose a new career path.
Unless you like living hand-to-mouth.
You'll make more money working at McDonald's. Honest.
Love....Jill

ChicagoGraphics

I know, why not make your first yardsign on a cardboard box top, using a black & red marker saying " Went out of business need money" and stand on some corner holding the sign up, probably make more doing that then making yardsigns plus there's no learning curve.

WildWestDesigns

College education isn't what it used to be. I thought college taught you to research. Must not have done to much studying or learning because you would have realized you would not be able to compete with the internet pricing, unless you wanted to loose what money you have.

Unfortunately, all college teaches you now is how to do a job(depending on your major). Too many people getting college degrees now with the economy as you can get it subsidized. A lot of people getting MA in Business Admin as well (one of the easier MAs to get), pretty soon MAs will be a "requirement" and Bachelor's degrees will just be like HS diplomas. Because of that education will suffer overall (more then it already has). Although you do get what you put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.