• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So...When push comes to shove!

SignManiac

I have a good track record when it comes to collections. My policy has always been half down with balance due on completion. Well three months ago I get a referral for a new company and they need a new sign and they have a tight deadline. A lot of communication on the details with the client, and I did guarantee it would be installed on time for their grand opening.

Client and I hammer out all the details, design, etc, and I get a CC# for the deposit. Finished the work and told them I'd be there on such and such day to do the install and would have invoice for balance with me. Location is an hour drive away. Communication has been excellent up to this point.

Well we get there and the person I expected to meet isn't there and I get handed off to the site manager who is excited about the new sign. I installed it and find out nobody has the check? I'm told I need to see my original contact as she is the one who handles all payments. Against my better judgment, I leave without the balance.

I get back to the shop and email a photo of the completed and installed sign to her and ask her to call in with a CC# later in the day for final payment. End of day and nothing, I tried calling and got nothing but voice mail. Couple of days go by and still no contact from her. I'm busy and have other paying jobs that need turning out so before you know it. Month passes by, then two. I can see I'm getting played and that pisses me off.

I sent my last email on Monday demanding payment by Friday, Christmas eve. Friday comes and still no check in the mail so I say fruck it. I got up early Christmas morning, drove there and took the sign down on the 25th! Merry Christmas ho ho ho. Now mind you, I'm not repossessing the sign, I'm merely taking it down to do some emergency safety repairs that could endanger the public if the sign were to fall and harm somebody. With my busy schedule, the sign could be down for quite some time.

One week later, a check shows up in the mail with not one word of explanation. The check was dated December 28th, three days after I removed it :) So, one week later I went back and put it back up on New Years day.

For whatever reason, they over paid me by the amount of the deposit I had already. I was already going to charge them additional for the two trip charges to take down and then put back up so I went ahead and deposited the check and now we're even!! Well I don't think I'll do any more work for this company, they're fired for good.

FatCat

I've had a few similar situations and hate it when companies don't return calls when you're trying to collect and you just know they're screwing with you. Glad it finally worked out for you but finally getting paid the original money owed surely doesn't account for the aggravation or stress involved while you were forced to wait...

SignManiac

Well I know many here would say you can't take down a sign on private property, even if you haven't been paid, but in this case I did and it got results. Plus, I do like living dangerously :) I'm not saying anyone else should do what I did, but in my case it worked out. It's tough doing business in the economic times and I sure as hell am not going to get screwed over.

SignManiac

finally getting paid the original money owed surely doesn't account for the aggravation or stress involved while you were forced to wait...

So true... I had many sleepless nights about how I was going to handle it. Sometimes money isn't enough compensation.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Emergency safety repairs....

love it..... everyone should include ESR's in their contracts to cover sign repo's

something like this should satisfy the lawyers~

<signcompany> reserves the right to remove the sign for emergency repairs until balance has been paid in full. Upon full payment the stated warranty will take effect.

Craig Sjoquist

Plus 4 on ESR's indeed excellent, yes I take them down also This is Florida land of cheats in business so I don't let them.
Glad at least you got paid and plus some true the stress is not covered ..but they lose by you not working for them anymore, your are true professional and your work shows it.

wes70

I think you handled it in a positive non-confrontation way. I would of done the same.

Just remember... it's their loss not having a reputable and distinguished sign company when needed.

Letterbox Mike

Awesome story! But I have a feeling sooner or later they're going to figure out they overpaid by 50% and I'd guess you'll be facing a fight and a half from them about that. Not that I don't think they owed you the extra for being 2 months late and making you remove and reinstall on two big holidays, but you know they're not going to see it that way...

SignManiac

I'd be surprised if I ever hear from them again. Not going to lose any more sleep over it. If they do try to recover it, it's going to be more aggravation than it's worth for them by the time I'm through. I'll be very hard to get in touch with. Might even take a few months. Besides, I already entered an invoice for additional trip and install charges.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I hear doctors are now threatening to put gall bladders back in for non payment.....

Just kidding, but wow, sounds like it turned out well in the end. Unfortunately, I've been done over a time or two by a recent customer...shame on me. They've always paid, but it took months and months. I've put them on my "fired" list, but won't notify them until I get my last check.

gabagoo

Well I know many here would say you can't take down a sign on private property, even if you haven't been paid, but in this case I did and it got results. Plus, I do like living dangerously :) I'm not saying anyone else should do what I did, but in my case it worked out. It's tough doing business in the economic times and I sure as hell am not going to get screwed over.

they started it, so you dealt with it. smart move... besides what are they going to do... call the police that someone stole their custom made sign that they never paid for? POST A PIC OF THE SIGN SO WE CAN GO EGG THE PLACE~~~

:corndog:

John L

Good job SM. Very well thought out and smartly played.

That final reinstall invoice (for 50% of contract) probably got lost on someones desk there.

Pat Whatley

You are lucky they didn't call the police and report it as stolen or vandalized.
Just curious....has ANYBODY ever been arrested for pulling down a sign someone wouldn't pay for? Seems to me the massive Signs101 legal department is always tossing out that warning but virtually nobody has ever gotten in trouble for it.

SignManiac

Good point Pat! I know in thirty six years in the business, I've never had it happen. Once, I told the client to hurry up and make the call to the police, and that I would wait for them to show up. She didn't make the call. It turned out, she was in the middle of a law suit against the police department. I could have been raping and murdering her and they wouldn't bother to respond to her call.

cartar929

i love the story serves them right too bad you had to actually go through with all of that effort of pulling it down and reinstalling