• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Soaking The Print Heads

Bogie

If you see missing ones then soak the head for a bit on a cleaning cloth soaked in cleaning solution (parked on the capping station)

What do you use for a cleaning cloth? And you just take hemostats or something and slide it back to the capping station? Or are some of you guys taking the sheet metal off the thing once a week?

Last edited:

Steve C.

I use an eye dropper to add about 5 or 6 drops of cleaning fluid, form a
cleaning cartridge, to the capping station. No cloth. Just return the carrage
back in place. Usually do this on the week ends when the printer will be
idle for a few days.

randya

Use a non-shedding clean room cloth.

Fold in half and wet with cleaning solution from one of the cleaning cartridges. (You should gut one of your cleaning cartridges and store the liquid in a poly bottle).

Place the wet cleaning cloth on the cap (s)

Raise the head (or lower the capping station.

Move the head over the capping station and lower the head (or release the capping station).

Rewet with cleaning solution every 15 minutes.

After two cycles run a strong clean and nozzle check.

Rinse, lather, repeat until all nozzles are clear. (Mild plugs will free in just a few cycles, hard core plugs could take hours.)

The whole idea here is to get cleaning solution up against the plug in the nozzle (without damaging the nozzle) to soften it up and allow the pump to pull it out.

jiarby

Randy...

You should gut one of your cleaning cartridges and store the liquid in a poly bottle

sheesh! This stuff costs $600/gallon... maybe there's an aftermarket solvent you could recommend that costs less than an Escalade payment??

The gas for the space shuttle doesn't even cost this much!

I took my "empty" ones (according to the printer) and slit them open and filled up a baby food jar with the cleaning solution.

Math:
$34.95 per 220ml cartridge.
That's 15.89¢/ml.
1 gallon is 3,785ml.
3785x.1589 = $601.06

randya

Randy...

sheesh! This stuff costs $600/gallon... maybe there's an aftermarket solvent you could recommend that costs less than an Escalade payment??

The gas for the space shuttle doesn't even cost this much!

I took my "empty" ones (according to the printer) and slit them open and filled up a baby food jar with the cleaning solution.

Math:
$34.95 per 220ml cartridge.
That's 15.89¢/ml.
1 gallon is 3,785ml.
3785x.1589 = $601.06

Wow, never did the numbers......

You can use denatured alcohol for normal cleaning, but I have not had much luck unclogging nozzles with it, especially tough ones, but I suppose it could be worth the try. You may have to rewet more often as it evaporates faster than the cleaning solution.

The cleaning solution works so much better.

I dont have any better recommendation at this time...

http://www2.mutoh.com/public/MSDSs_Ultra/MSDS-VJMSINK3CL-00E.pdf

jiarby

That makes the ink cost what!?

$1,117.43/gallon

OMG! There's gotta be some money in that somewhere!

"proprietary organic materials"?? what's that.... distilled water??

R08

I've been using reducer (lacquer thinner) with excellent results. About $5-10/gallon.

Also I cut a piece of the sheet metal so I can get my hand in there and soak the head quickly and get to work.

When I bought my machine it hadn't been used in almost a year. I thought for sure I needed new heads.
I figured I had nothing to lose. I used a clean clothe and held it under the heads for about 2 or 3 minutes each (maybe 15-20 seconds at a time).Heads were firing like 10 .

randya

nope, distilled water is not an organic.

secret sauce.....as far as I know.
maybe a little moon rock and some pixey dust....

But more than likely surfactants, viscosity additives, ink compatible cleaners and lubes,etc.

Unfortunately, the MSDS is all the info I have on the cleaner and inks.

Bogie

Well, we're gonna learn if the stuff eats a Kendall monoject 412 curved tip syringe... I've got a whole bunch of 'em...

PSG

Where do you all get your syringes from?

I'm just curious also, to those who have posted here, what type of ink are you using?

Does anyone have experience with different types of ink and whether Alcohol (Denatured or Not) &/or Reducer (lacquer thinner) have the same effects. (ie, do they work better on some inks vs. others?)

thanks...

Bogie

Where does anyone get anything - Ebay!

I'm using oem eco-ultra.

Got a refurb kit on the way, but I may try to stretch things out somewhat...

randya

I'm just curious also, to those who have posted here, what type of ink are you using?

Does anyone have experience with different types of ink and whether Alcohol (Denatured or Not) &/or Reducer (lacquer thinner) have the same effects. (ie, do they work better on some inks vs. others?)

thanks...

lacquer thinner will attack some plastic and rubber parts that Alcohol will not.

Alcohol is safer.

R08

lacquer thinner will attack some plastic and rubber parts that Alcohol will not.

Alcohol is safer.

True.. but lacquer is WAY more effective. Just have to be very careful. It's not for the faint of heart for sure.

I've had good luck with it. It does not attack the plastic on the dampers at all or the hoses. I even cleaned out some dampers with it while I was waiting for new ones to come in. The filters in the dampers were dirty. No problems there.

But Lacquer will melt some plastics for sure..

Jackpine

Syringes.....farm stores. We have Fleet Farms by us. They have 3 packs of 60cc big ones for drawing inks to prime lines and small ones with metal tips for 'topping off' the caps.

thanks...

Last edited:

Color Dude

Vet clinic is a great place to get syringes aswell. Most clinics have the syringes with a tappered end that will fit the small tubing.