• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software for scanning to Bitmaps

Titch Sanders

Forgive me folks for being a bit behind the times.. I use Signlab 4.95 EVERY day.. it does all I need it to and has done for almost 20 years. I do my work in Signlab for 99.9% of my work, then export as an early Ai file to put into Omega for the Edge..
I have no real needs to upgrade to anything else as I'm only ever working in spot colours, however.. I have seen some software working, Aspire I think it was, to create the work on a cnc machine cutting flat steel.. Same principle / different materials.. yes? But without 'learning' more complicated software, is there anything anyone can suggest.. but must be able to export the finished result as either a Bitmap, or quite early Ai files so that it will work in Omega or my early Signlab.. any ideas folks?? ( I know, I know, some of you will say dig deep & experiment.. but I don't 'learn' so easy these days..)
I have a couple of versions of Corel.. this may be an option once I've mastered it, but I did struggle initially with Signlab reading the files...?
Any ideas would be appreciated, I work a lot from my own drawings too..

Thanks,
Titch Sanders (UK)

rob402

i use signlab 4.95 every day as well. AI files quit importing to signlab here one day, so we've been exporting EPS files from corel into signlab instead. works better for me, but sometimes the files will open as black and white and i will need to recolor them. i've yet to figure out why. it works though

i would recommend getting more familiar with your versions of corel. Any version of corel, 5.0 or later should be fairly easy and straight forward. older ones like corel 2.0 only allow you to work in outlines and require you to do a "page preview" in order to see the outlines with color. if you have one THAT old, i understand why you find it hard to use. you can get 5.0 for free from an abondonware site.

i constantly send eps files from corel x8 directly to signlab 4.95 to cut vinyl or to make paper patterns for stuff.

you might also find a program called "Inkscape" useful. it is free and user friendly. it is great for tracing simple JPG's and making them into vector files that look better than corel and have far less nodes.

Last edited:

Titch Sanders

i use signlab 4.95 every day as well. AI files quit importing to signlab here one day, so we've been exporting EPS files from corel into signlab instead. works better for me, but sometimes the files will open as black and white and i will need to recolor them. i've yet to figure out why. it works though

i would recommend getting more familiar with your versions of corel. Any version of corel, 5.0 or later should be fairly easy and straight forward. older ones like corel 2.0 only allow you to work in outlines and require you to do a "page preview" in order to see the outlines with color. if you have one THAT old, i understand why you find it hard to use. you can get 5.0 for free from an abondonware site.

i constantly send eps files from corel x8 directly to signlab 4.95 to cut vinyl or to make paper patterns for stuff.

you might also find a program called "Inkscape" useful. it is free and user friendly. it is great for tracing simple JPG's and making them into vector files that look better than corel and have far less nodes.

Titch Sanders

Hi there, ah, so I'm not alone then with my trusty Signlab I do find it so easy.. OK too, points noted on Corel suppose it does make sense to persevere with it yes, thanks. I have used Inkscape too yes, but keeps crashing on me.... I will have another go with Corel.. thanks again,
Titch

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.

Same for me exporting from Corel X6 as EPS and importing into Signlab 9.x...

Solved that problem by publishing to PDF from Corel and importing the PDF to Signlab.

I'm just mentioning this in case it might help you.