• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solaris Inks Anyone?

txsurfer

OK my Fellers rep was in today pushing the aftermarket inks, Solaris. I have always hesitated on using an aftermarket ink, but he sure sounds convincing! Anyone try this product yet.

Jack Knight1979

They are the cats-***. I've used several other aftermarket inks over the years and solaris is the real deal. Not a problem with them. The company is awesome too. If you have a problem. Call them and they actually help you.

They smell a lot more than OEM ink though. I vent my Roland. I also vented it with OEM ink.

The ink odor is less than a mild solvent by a long shot, but smellier than OEM for sure.

You can't go wrong with them. Great ink.

otctech

I don't know anything about Solaris, but we use Inktec and I think the determining factor when deciding if you should go with aftermarket ink should be how often you printer(s) get used. We run our printers (16 of them now, soon to be 18) 24/5 all year and 24/6 during the busy season so we save a TON of money by running aftermarket ink. That being said I think we do have to replace parts like print heads and capping stations sooner then we would with Roland inks, but we still generally get more than the expected life span out of them and the savings on ink more than makes up for it. I have heard that if your printer sits a lot the aftermarket inks can give you more problems. Plus the less ink you use the less you save. My $.02

kirkbauguess

Solaris is great. The chip didn't work on, so it didn't tell my sc 540 to stop printing, it burned up a head. They sent me a new head and had it over nighted, awesome. Also they put 13 percent more ink in the bag, because when an oem bag runs out, 13 percent of the ink is still in.

insigniagraphics

I use them as well, and have for years. Great results, although the low-ink indicator doesn't always work. It pays to keep an eye on the levels manually. For the cost difference to OEM, you can't go wrong/

humpsigns

I use solaris in my roland, smells little stronger but great ink...didn't know about the chips not working correctly.I'am going to keep an eye on that.

Beyond 1

I been using solaris for over 2 years now.. The ink is great! The cards for the Roland and mimaki work great.... But I have a Mutoh and the cards SUCK... They never work. I had to start buying cards elsewhere. It's been over 2 years now and they still don't work! A few work then you get one bad one and that makes the printer think all the carts are bad. The only way to get around this is to put original Mutoh oem back in and shut down to reset. Let me tell you after 50 times (yes 50...) you get a little tired of it. If you have any printer other then a Mutoh the ink is great... If you have a Mutoh... Beware!!!!!!

Oh yeah, because there cards never work... I spent over $1000 on other after market cards and asked them to at least re-in burst in some ink for all the headaches. They said they finally fixed the problem and would send me what ever Mutoh inks I needed. (I asked for magenta or yellow). What they sent me was (6) cyans!!!! Roland ink, not Mutoh without any cards.

signs20

We are considering a shift to Inktec ink for our JV3 and JV33. Any problems with Inktec? Have you seen any fade over time? Any clogging?

Really appreciate your input!

Thanks,
Ron

premiercolour

Merchant Member
mutoh cards

We can unlock your mutoh valuejet. Send your inquiry to sales@fieldcenterusa.com

I been using solaris for over 2 years now.. The ink is great! The cards for the Roland and mimaki work great.... But I have a Mutoh and the cards SUCK... They never work. I had to start buying cards elsewhere. It's been over 2 years now and they still don't work! A few work then you get one bad one and that makes the printer think all the carts are bad. The only way to get around this is to put original Mutoh oem back in and shut down to reset. Let me tell you after 50 times (yes 50...) you get a little tired of it. If you have any printer other then a Mutoh the ink is great... If you have a Mutoh... Beware!!!!!!

Oh yeah, because there cards never work... I spent over $1000 on other after market cards and asked them to at least re-in burst in some ink for all the headaches. They said they finally fixed the problem and would send me what ever Mutoh inks I needed. (I asked for magenta or yellow). What they sent me was (6) cyans!!!! Roland ink, not Mutoh without any cards.

34Ford

I have a 440 Solaris magenta I am not going to sell. Sealed in the box.
I am looking to buy a set of Rolands ESL3 inks.

Last edited:

Colin

I've said this before, I think that if Roland offered their inks at a lower price (even if it was a little more than aftermarket inks) they'd sell a lot more of it.

I will only use Roland inks in my machine, but I can see the temptation for high-volume shops.

RocketBanner

Solaris is great. The chip didn't work on, so it didn't tell my sc 540 to stop printing, it burned up a head. They sent me a new head and had it over nighted, awesome. Also they put 13 percent more ink in the bag, because when an oem bag runs out, 13 percent of the ink is still in.

Yeah, that's wrong...I have found that they actually short you on inks.

RocketBanner

I had a bad experience with these inks. Also, when I tried to return the unused portion and get a refund I was refused even though they told me if I did not like them I could return the unused ink for a refund. They short the inks in the cartridges by anywhere from 50-80mls, I also blew a black head 2nd day with the ink installed, head count was only at 3.5 billion when it blew. The heads clog if you don't print everyday, ink starvation and overspray with the black was way worse then with OEM. They smell bad too, the colors look good..but it's small consolation for all the problems.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I had a bad experience with these inks. Also, when I tried to return the unused portion and get a refund I was refused even though they told me if I did not like them I could return the unused ink for a refund. They short the inks in the cartridges by anywhere from 50-80mls, I also blew a black head 2nd day with the ink installed, head count was only at 3.5 billion when it blew. The heads clog if you don't print everyday, ink starvation and overspray with the black was way worse then with OEM. They smell bad too, the colors look good..but it's small consolation for all the problems.

I can't say your experience is wrong, but it seems to go against ALL the other posts in here as well as my experience. NEVER had a problem with them replacing inks if there was a problem. In the beginning the tape used inside the cartridges came loose and wouldn't tell printer it was empty. So they gave me free ink. (score). They fixed that problem during the first 3 months. The inks have extra in them to make up for the small % left in them (due to side load instead of top load). Been using them for over 2 years and not had any head problems. Your Roland should be auto cleaning itself with ANY ink brand...it's the nature of the beast so you shouldn't have to print everyday. Mine smells about the same as the eco-sols too. Colors are awesome and savings is around $40 per cartridge.

Jack Knight1979

Rocketbanner. I'm sorry for the problems with the ink. Solaris has been rock solid for years at my business.

I burned through two heads a year with Triangle ink. I haven't been through one head since on Solaris which has been years now. I love this stuff.
It does smell though. Thankfully I had a vent system in place from the triangle ink, so the smell is a minor issue.

premiercolour

Merchant Member

Let us take care your mutoh smart card problem.

Mutoh 1624, 1638 - type 1
Rest of mutoh value jet - type 2

What do you have?

TheSnowman

I ran Bordeaux in my last Mimaki for probably four years. My fellers rep always kept pushing Solaris inks. I just bought a new JV33 and I'm trying to decide which aftermarket ink I'm going to run in it. Was going to run Triangle cartridges since that's what Advantage sells, but sounds like the profiles could be a BIT off in comparison to the Solaris or Bordeaux.

CS-SignSupply

We were with Solaris but ran into supply issues and moved to STS. We offer it for the jv3 and 33 in 440 carts and bulk liters.

Good stuff. References available.