• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solid color wrap vinyl shipped with premask - How to install?

Sven

An auto-body shop has asked us to help them with a vehicle graphics install. Part of the job is solid pieces of solid color 3M Controltack, about 3' x 5'. It was shipped to them by some large graphics company with premask applied. We've done a couple wraps, but I can't understand how you can apply a solid piece of vinyl to the contours of a van with premask on it. How do you stretch it to conform to the curves? Any tips are appreciated.

klingsdesigns

Can you remove the mask easily off of the vinyl?
I have had this in the past and removed it on a flat surface. You just have to be careful.

TXFB.INS

ideally it is best to remove the mask before installing.

If that is not possible, start the installation and when one end is set, then pull the mask off the entire piece of material

greysquirrel

Just an assumption...they used liquid lamination...the pr mask is to give it some size/protection when installing...I question liquid lam on vehicles all the time...makes no sense...

petepaz

peel about an inch or two of the mask back then put the vinyl in your laminator (assuming you have a laminator) then insert the vinyl in the laminator and slowly pull the mask off away from the laminator. the laminator will hold it tight and flat.

Kwiksigns

wookie
Depends on what surface you are applying to. Like stated, if liquid lam it should be fine if it is a corrugated trailer or flat, simple curves. Apply as much as you can and when you get to a curve just peel off the mask and apply

Andy D

peel about an inch or two of the mask back then put the vinyl in your laminator (assuming you have a laminator) then insert the vinyl in the laminator and slowly pull the mask off away from the laminator. the laminator will hold it tight and flat.

That's ingenious!

TXFB.INS

by using the lamination wheels you ensure the vinyl doesn't stretch / separate from the backing :rock-n-roll::thumb:

petepaz

that technique also works good for weeding sheets of labels/decals. the laminator holds the sheet down and you can weed with two hands. one to pull the scrap vinyl and one to maneuver and push the labels back down.

striper14

or just wipe the premask with a damp cloth, let it sit for a second then peel off. i usually try to tear in strips

2B

or just wipe the premask with a damp cloth, let it sit for a second then peel off. i usually try to tear in strips

this only works if it is the paper premask, if they used the clear version then this will not work

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I used to do a bunch of Safety-Kleen Connect vans, and they shipped us the graphics like this. They were liquid laminated. As suggested, install as much of the flattest areas as possible with the tape on it, then when you get to the trickier curves and tucks, peel off the tape so you can apply the vinyl. Gentle curves are ok with the tape I have found...heat will make them conform somewhat.

Sideline

Install help needed...

I just got done trying to work with the same stupid premasked piece. A entire side of van on a body shop repair ,,graphics sent to us from a company out of Indiana....50" x 110"....Chev van and it turned out terrible....it tore, ton's of small bubbles after we peeled the premask off because you can't see how it is laying down...I don't know how you can lay it down with no premask on it when its a liquid laminate...too thin....I know the customer is not going to accept it on Monday...we would appreciate any help on how to do this.....on the thread someone said to take the premask off first ? How can you even squeegee it down...what type of squeegee ...the material is the 3M Version ControlTac....I guess there is a method, but I talked to two other installers in our area and they don't even try to attempt to install it....they simply have turned the jobs down...from what I've been told, 3M doesn't cover it for a normal wrap install......again, any help would be appreciated.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
My tip would be to tell them your not interested. :wink:

And I sure wouldn't take the time to remove the tape, mess around with it to try to make it work...

dale911

President
I am wondering if they put the wrong lamination on it. I am working on a project using 3m products from the traffic safety division. The laminate is manufactured with the premask unless I specifically order the roll that doesn't have it. The laminate is high quality but not what I would use for a vehicle. I would be thinking its best to walk frok
this project.

Sign Works

Do all you "Professional Vinyl Installers" realize that vinyl installers were installing vinyl for decades prior to the introduction of lam films and air eggress adhesive?

Golly geepers, we don't know how to install that vinyl. :ROFLMAO:

ironchef

If theres no air egress channels, i install it wet, unless its contour cut, then ill install like cut vinyl, dry

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do all you "Professional Vinyl Installers" realize that vinyl installers were installing vinyl for decades prior to the introduction of lam films and air eggress adhesive?

Golly geepers, we don't know how to install that vinyl. :ROFLMAO:

We did what seemed like miles of masked Scotchpirnt electrostatic graphics on 3M vinyl with no air channels.
Over rivets & body side mouldings, I guess we didn't know it was supposed to be hard to install.

wayne k
guam usa

joelswork

We are doing about 120 full color change cars that the printed vinyl was all shipped in with premask on...well, 8 of the 10 pieces had premask. We do the sides with it on but remove it for all the other pieces. Soak the mask with a spray of water, let it sit a minute or two and pull it off. The sides are done with it on because they came cut out for the door handles and it's a pain to get it to line up when it's cold (the shop we do it in is pretty cool temp wise...should be easier if it ever warms up!)