• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some basic questions about HDU, paint and stuff around that.

Spartan

Hey there.

I just came here, but after only 4 hours of reading through this board, i still have some of my basic questions. So i decided to dare to ask my first questions now :smile:

I made a couple of wooden signs until now, and a lot of aluminum-stuff, but now i'd like to make some HDU-3d-signs, because they are not very common here in germany.
Here, they just make mold-design from hpu, so i need some more detailed information about sign-foam etc.

1. How is the dimensional-weight of the HPU you are using for such sings? Here there is no dedicated signfoam or stuff like that, so i want to try finding the right material with this information.

2. What kind of glue is it, that you use for glueing HPU? All the brand-names i found in this board are not sold here, so maybe someone can give me some chemical/substantial information, wherewith i can find an equivalent here in germany?
May i use 2-component epoxid-resin-based or polyurethan-resin-based glues? I want to laminate thin plates together when needing a thicker one, so it would be good if the glue had similar characteristics as the HPU itself after hardening

3. Painting. The same problem as with glueing. All brand-names mentioned here i can't get in germany.
As far as i have read, i can use nearly every kind of paint, because the hpu is very resistand against most substances, right?
Can i use polyester-filler? This is used for cars here, so it would be a good base for letting a painter finish the job.

4. This is a point, that is confusing me a bit... When reading about HPU, it is often described as uv-proof. But when i search for hard polyurethane-foam-materials here in germany, they always say it is not uv-proof, but changing its color and even decomposing over the years.
Did i search for the wrong material? Or is HPU not really uv-proof and i have found the right stuff?

I still have some more questions about the basics, like core-frame-building etc., but first i will do a little bit more research here. Maybe i can find something like some kind of step-by-step story about building such signs from the beginning on.
Now, without knowing better, i would weld a steel-frame, e.g. with 1/2"-rectangular pipe, screw and glue the HPU on this frame and not till then cut the whole job on my router. Because i am not sure how i should mount the cutted plates on a firm frame and then cover the frame.
But maybe i am completely wrong with this, so as i said, i will do some more research here. 6 pages of threads done, 9 more to come^^

Thank you all here very much and best regards,

Marc

Gene@mpls

You seem to use HDU and HPU interchangeably? Check out 3dsignforum.com for more info on hdu, paint etc. Gene