• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Somebody at Ford is getting a kickback

letterman7

Has anyone noticed that the new black and white Taurus squad cars have wrapped doors and roof in white? Who's brilliant idea was this? All I can see is my guys scratching the hell out of the vinyl, like they do the paint, with their keys and belts getting in and out of the car. My locals hold onto their cars for quite a while... what's the roof going to look like in 5 years?

wildside

no different then the geek squad bugs running around

going to be very common place very soon......... not just ford

HulkSmash

Has anyone noticed that the new black and white Taurus squad cars have wrapped doors and roof in white? Who's brilliant idea was this? All I can see is my guys scratching the hell out of the vinyl, like they do the paint, with their keys and belts getting in and out of the car. My locals hold onto their cars for quite a while... what's the roof going to look like in 5 years?

Maybe they're painted?

Gene@mpls

The local PD (actually the public works dept that has to get the squads
set up for them) say that it costs $500 to have the white painted on a
black car- and then they get less money when they sell. So pure economics.

jayhawksigns

Our local PD was quoted $1000 each to paint just the doors on their new Chargers. I think they are going the wrapped route instead this year.

letterman7

its all about the resale value.

paint for applications like this has its days numbered.

Resale? Hardly. Most municipal vehicles go out to auction when their time is done. It doesn't matter how they're painted or not. But I do agree that a certain percentage is economics with the vinyl versus paint. Since I don't wrap, I can only guess that wrapping the doors and the roofline would be only marginally cheaper than paint, once labor is figured into the job. I'll have to ask the chief if he had a choice between the wrap and paint. Methinks there wasn't!

Colorado: no, the doors and roof are definitely vinyl. The doors are even machine cut around the handles, so this was thought way ahead of time.
Ford Taurus detail.jpg

Last edited: