• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Somewhere....................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've used the 'Search' button to no avail.

Not too long ago, someone was talking about archiving their e-mails. I was keeping up with it and then all Hell broke loose in our shop and I can't find it anymore.

I'll post my problem.

I have far too many e-mails in my folders. Many of them have not been read for some reason, while others are waiting to come in. My server or whatever is full. It's been almost a week and nothing new has come through on my computer. Jeremy can get to them through some mumbo-jumbo, but we can't do anything , but read the e-mail itself.

I don't want to just delete my email s without reading them, but I also don't want to wait any longer while my inbox just becomes grossly unbearable.

Is there anyway to move my e-mails without deleting them or keeping them on my 'C' drive ??

I hope this makes some sense.

Or.... can anyone point me to where that thread is ??

thank you............
Gino

petepaz

did you try checking with your email provider. also can you delete any old emails you don't need any more to make room for some of the new emails coming in.
our email is through yahoo so if i have issues or get too clogged up i can go to yahoo.com and check my mail that way then i delete the files causing the problem

usually on my outlook i delete emails every month and only keep what i need and to go further back i don't keep anything much more than a year (if there is important info i will print it out and put it in the job or customer file/folder)

WildWestDesigns

If you use Outlook and you have Acrobat Pro you can archive them to pdf files. If you use webmail then there should be an option for downloading them.

Craig Sjoquist

Use Gmail ....For email problem solved, you get several gigs of email space, knows at present I have over 3,000 un-opened and a little over a gig of open email 14% of the over 7.5 gigs total and it increases, it started at 2 gigs.
Also find it very good at stopping spam, enjoy the full view screen to what ever I'm looking at plus the ease of use.

signswi

If you're using Outlook set it to download the emails (don't leave a copy on the server) and have it run autoarchive every week, archiving anything over 2 months old. That way you can still search it but it won't slow down your inbox, and downloading instead of leaving on server will avoid "mailbox full" errors (seriously is this 1998?). As for hard drive space...it's so cheap now I consider it free.

Going to a hosted email solution (such as Google Apps for Business) is also an excellent way to go.

MikePro

info found here

Mozilla Thunderbird is a great place to store mail. Add a big "Archive" folder or one for every year, and all your messages are quickly available without slowing down your everyday email handling. Of course, you want to back up mail — in particular the messages that have been worthy of keeping in the first place —. Why not combine that backing up with cleaning up your local Mozilla Thunderbird and archive old mail remotely — especially if you primarily need or want to keep these messages, not to access them"

To back up or archive Mozilla Thunderbird folders:

• Make sure Mozilla Thunderbird is not running.
  • Go to your Mozilla Thunderbird profile directory.
  • Open the Mail folder.
  • Look for the file named like the Mozilla Thunderbird folder you want to archive in the Local Folders or an account-specific sub-folder (such as pop.gmail.com, for example).
    • Make sure you pick the file that has no extension no the identically named file with the .msf extension. (The right file is Archive, for example, not Archive.msf.)
  • Highlight the desired file (or files; hold down the Ctrl (Windows) or Command (Mac) key to highlight multiple files).
  • Drag and drop the files to the desired archive location (on a removable medium such as a DVD, an external hard drive, a network drive or internet storage, for example).
  • Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
  • Delete the folders whose corresponding files you have just copied to the archive location.
    • Drag and drop the folders to the Trash folder.
    • Click OK.
    • Select File | Empty Trash from the menu.
To open a folder you have archived:

• Make sure Mozilla Thunderbird is not running.
  • Open your Mozilla Thunderbird profile directory.
  • Go to the Mail folder.
  • Drag and drop the archived folder file (Archive, for example) from its remote location to the Local Folders folder.
    • Make sure you do not overwrite existing files.
    • If a file with the same name already exists under Local Folders, rename the archived folder file before copying.
  • Open Mozilla Thunderbird.
    • The archived folder should appear under Local Folders in the folder list."

yours truly,
michael pro