• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sorry State of "Today".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have been noticing in all aspects of my life personal and professional that in today's connected society we have really become polarized. We all go to extremes now, including myself, and politicize all aspects of our interactions with people. It's amazing how offended we all our and how we want others to stand up for us. We do this by taking a polarized viewpoint in order to align with like-minded people, till ultimately we diverge from them.

Why does it seem we went from talking about the "weather" to wearing political combat boots, just look at how 1 in 3 posts devolve to a political sparing match. I, myself am guilty and am not pointing blame... I am just more cognizant of it lately and it's bothering me for some reason.

Last edited:

ikarasu

I think it's been really bad since this last Election.

You had one candidate that leaned really far one way... and another that leaned really far the other way. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground anywhere, so it's now a "You're either with us, or against us" Mentality. I hated Hilary, and hoped Trump would win. I don't like his policies... And even more so now that I see his true colors. I figured congress would keep him in check, and he'd be too dumb to pull anything sneaky off. But now, Republicans are backing him through anything.... They're supposed to be his check and balance, but they're not. So long as theyre in power, they're happy and will support any of his policies... no matter how bad they are for the country. On the other side... We have Democrats trying to push their own agenda and refusing to give in for anything they don't have to.

And then you have the Media - You have Fox which will praise and stick up for trump no matter what, and you have all the other stations that will throw him under the bus for every little thing. They see a small fire... and they pour gasoline on it to make a big story. When ALL you see on the news 24/7 and hear about is Trump is the best, the Democrats are evil and out to get him... or Trump is the devil, look what he did now, we have to impeach... It gets engrained in your brain, no matter which side you're on.

So we have branches of the Government refusing to do their jobs and digging their heels in... and we have the Media thats pouring fire onto the flames (For both sides). No matter which side you're on... It's dividing the Country, and giving everyone an us vs them Mentality.

I think the main problem is both candidates were so far leaning in one direction, the other side refuses to work together. It's not looking like the next election will be any better either... So I imagine things are going to get worst, before they get better.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thankfully, it's still a taboo to discuss political leanings in the real world. I'd bet a majority of the ones on here who run all over the place making every subject into a political one, don't dare have the discussion in person.

equippaint

Thankfully, it's still a taboo to discuss political leanings in the real world. I'd bet a majority of the ones on here who run all over the place making every subject into a political one, don't dare have the discussion in person.
Bet they do. I hear it at least once a day from customers ive never met that come in dropping stuff or picking stuff up. Its become a national pasttime without the jerseys.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've been pushing back....(long read ahead). This is not 100% on-topic, but it's still very relevant to where we are as a society:

Last night, I patiently waited 20 minutes for a Quarter Pounder with a drink and fries. If I have the time, I welcome it as some lesson to be learned. The manager was firm and in control, but it seemed his crew of young recruits had other ideas...not because of spite, but just the plain old inexperience of working together as a well-oiled team.

The manager mentioned to one of his workers that he had already clocked 58 hours and was staring down another long weekend to add to his misery. Sad thing...he's probably only making around $12.00 per hour, if even that.

As each new customer came and went, I stood...waited....and observed his actions. There were at least three mistakes with the other orders, for which he profusely apologized and personally re-made himself.

Finally, he inquired about my order. I mentioned how long I had been waiting and he immediately wanted to refund my money...and then I chimed in.

I mentioned that I owned a business, and I that I understand how mistakes and misplaced orders can occur. I told him the best way to pay me back was to not lose his focus as a leader of those young kids.

"Sure, you're a manager of things", I continued, "But more importantly, you're a leader of people...these young people".

Immediately, his stress level went from a 10 down to a 1. It was almost as if someone instantly picked him up from out behind the stress-laden counter and dropped him on a white sandy beach somewhere with only the surf to worry about.

After that, I could instantly see a change in his demeanor. When I first walked in, it was obvious that his energy level had flat-lined hours prior, but after our brief discussion at 10:30 pm, he was running like the Energizer Bunny. Had I been an irate customer, I'm sure he would have still handled the situation extremely well...but he would have internalized the stress in the process.

So there you have it...nothing so special about me. It was a teachable moment for the both of us. Hopefully, his future endeavors will continue to help kids gain a healthy respect and understanding for authority.

I say this to prove that we hold the the power of life and death by the words that we say....or don't say.

(BTW...I always compliment the parents of well-behaved young children in restaurants. You wouldn't believe how good that makes them feel....especially in this age of bratty kids.)

JB

Last edited:

equippaint

2ct, I have a few theories and one of them is excess stress causing anger. Everytime they talk about how great the economy is and consumer confidence, I always think to myself, great, most everyone has some coins in their pocket but is anyone happy? It really doesnt seem like it.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I don't think it's Taboo anymore, I come across it all the time and myself do it too.

I'm sure like all history this is a rehash of previous times, its just more apparent to me now.

TimToad

2ct, I have a few theories and one of them is excess stress causing anger. Everytime they talk about how great the economy is and consumer confidence, I always think to myself, great, most everyone has some coins in their pocket but is anyone happy? It really doesnt seem like it.

This is a lengthy and very detailed report that must be downloaded to read, but it is quite revealing in its conclusions. Of course, the rah! rah! U.S.A. Number 1 and xenophobe crowd will dismiss it, but I think it touches on many of the frustrations you and others in this thread have described.

https://worldhappiness.report/ed/2019/happiness-and-community-an-overview/

Christian @ 2CT Media

I agree, our standard of happiness seems to be unreachable these days. I used to strive for more, but now I realize all I want is time which we only get so much.

TimToad

I think it's been really bad since this last Election.

You had one candidate that leaned really far one way... and another that leaned really far the other way. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground anywhere, so it's now a "You're either with us, or against us" Mentality. I hated Hilary, and hoped Trump would win. I don't like his policies... And even more so now that I see his true colors. I figured congress would keep him in check, and he'd be too dumb to pull anything sneaky off. But now, Republicans are backing him through anything.... They're supposed to be his check and balance, but they're not. So long as theyre in power, they're happy and will support any of his policies... no matter how bad they are for the country. On the other side... We have Democrats trying to push their own agenda and refusing to give in for anything they don't have to.

And then you have the Media - You have Fox which will praise and stick up for trump no matter what, and you have all the other stations that will throw him under the bus for every little thing. They see a small fire... and they pour gasoline on it to make a big story. When ALL you see on the news 24/7 and hear about is Trump is the best, the Democrats are evil and out to get him... or Trump is the devil, look what he did now, we have to impeach... It gets engrained in your brain, no matter which side you're on.

So we have branches of the Government refusing to do their jobs and digging their heels in... and we have the Media thats pouring fire onto the flames (For both sides). No matter which side you're on... It's dividing the Country, and giving everyone an us vs them Mentality.

I think the main problem is both candidates were so far leaning in one direction, the other side refuses to work together. It's not looking like the next election will be any better either... So I imagine things are going to get worst, before they get better.

I'm not sure who described Clinton as leaning too far to the left, but it could only be people so indoctrinated and uninformed that their knowledge of the political spectrum is incomplete to put it very politely. The knock on her from many on the left was that she was too corporate and centrist. Nothing in her policy proposals reveals much in the way of far left or very ideological bent at all. Had the really hardened left in those five key swing states seen the danger in what has occurred, they'd have done the right thing for the sake of the planet and country, but you can't undo what has been done. That mistake won't be committed again.

Those who ignored all the warts, scandals and moral shortcomings of her opponent got conned by the biggest flim flam artist in modern history.

Christian @ 2CT Media

NAILED IT!

See the tag line under my avatar to better understand my philosophy.

JB
Losing my dad 4 years ago 1 month before my son was born, was my turning point on time. Now everyday my son has never known his grandpa in person and only through stories. It changes the value of things, especially when I realize I'm on my dads same path of working more than I should.

James Burke

Losing my dad 4 years ago 1 month before my son was born, was my turning point on time. Now everyday my son has never known his grandpa in person and only through stories. It changes the value of things, especially when I realize I'm on my dads same path of working more than I should.

Been there also...I never knew either of my grand dads. Sadly, their intense type-A personalities took them long before I arrived on the scene.

I had my mid-life crisis at age 33...left a good paying job...sold a house...went back to school (with a wife and two kids in married housing)...and began traveling down a road of focusing more on my family, rather than my career accomplishments. That's been over 20 years ago and I've never looked back.

JB

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Been there also...I never knew either of my grand dads. Sadly, their intense type-A personalities took them long before I arrived on the scene.

I had my mid-life crisis at age 33...left a good paying job...sold a house...went back to school (with a wife and two kids in married housing)...and began traveling down a road of focusing more on my family, rather than my career accomplishments. That's been over 20 years ago and I've never looked back.

JB

You all are right. More to life then working. That's the reason I stay small and work from home.

I made a goal this year of taking my daughter to visit my parents, grandparents and my wife's family.... everyone is spread out from California to Georiga to Colorado. It's an inconvenience dragging a 7 year old on a plane going places but family time is important and I don't want distance to keep her (or myself) from knowing these people before it's too late.

James Burke

It's an inconvenience dragging a 7 year old on a plane going places...

That, my friend, is an absolute privilege...and adventure.

I'm sure any that any parent of a cancer patient at St. Judes Children's Hospital would gladly trade places with you.

JB

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm not sure who described Clinton as leaning too far to the left, but it could only be people so indoctrinated and uninformed that their knowledge of the political spectrum is incomplete to put it very politely. The knock on her from many on the left was that she was too corporate and centrist. Nothing in her policy proposals reveals much in the way of far left or very ideological bent at all. Had the really hardened left in those five key swing states seen the danger in what has occurred, they'd have done the right thing for the sake of the planet and country, but you can't undo what has been done. That mistake won't be committed again.

Those who ignored all the warts, scandals and moral shortcomings of her opponent got conned by the biggest flim flam artist in modern history.

Toad, you are the worst offender in bringing up politics in almost EVERY thread. You did it this morning on the corrugated plastic thread. Over and over again you talk down to everyone who has anything to say and act you are the highest among high. The one member that actually agreed with you left, so now of the hundred or so that post regularly NO ONE takes your side. You must enjoy getting everyone roweled up... Most here just want to communicate like civilized professionals or wannabe professionals..so take your crap over to the comments section of facebook where all that mess belongs... I thought the title of this thread was "The sorry state of Toad"

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
That, my friend, is an absolute privilege...and adventure.

I'm sure any that any parent of a cancer patient at St. Judes Children's Hospital would gladly trade places with you.

JB

LOL, a privilege would be to have my family come to me and not make me go through the airport. Flying IS an inconvenience but that doesn't make me not want to go places with her. I just wish we could get the bathroom timing thing down because they won't make an exceptions when they turn on the no-seat-belt sign 30 minutes before landing and she says "Daddy, I gotta go reaaaaallll bad" and I mean NO EXCEPTIONS. Haha

Christian @ 2CT Media

Flying with kids is hard, we travel to Hawaii at least once a year to go home to see family. This last time was with a 3 and 7 year old... It was interesting.

I didn't mean to stir a storm, we all sling mud around here some days I'm just tired of getting dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.