• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Source for Thick Acrylic Sheets (0.5 to 1")

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I recently added a Shark CNC HD 25x25" x 7" height.

It's great for simple signs and engravings. But I would also like to make parts for various robots and RC creations.

What is a good source for getting thick .25 to 1" thick 2x2' sheets?

I'm in Lake City, Florida just 1hr west of Jacksonville. I would prefer a local vendor so I can just pick them up but will settle for whoever, especially if they will cut them for 2ft x 2ft which will fit only my machine.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming it's available from somewhere as the Shark CNC is made of some .75" thick opaque blue acrylic. But that is an alternative, thanks.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Do a local area (Google maps) search for plastics companies. There are many in my local area, and sometimes the price varies WIDELY from one to the other depending on the specific material specs. Many even have "drops" or half sheets in stock that are cheap.

johnnysigns

Buy 4x8s and have them cut them down for you. E&T plastics should have an office down there too. I think it's in Ft Lauderdale.

John Butto

Lake City is closer to Atlanta, GA than to Fort Lauderdale, FL. Jacksonville is probably going to be your nearest distributor.

m giese

Try Sunray Plastics, they will cut to size and have plenty of drops, acrylic sheets up to 6" thick. Might need a mortage though a sheet of 6" clear runs about 70k.

Sunray Plastics Riviera Beach, FL 561-844-7722

briankb

Premium Subscriber
OMG! So how much does one of those custom acrylic aquariums cost that you see on Tanked cost? They have done some very large sheets of very thick plastic. Assuming they are getting at the best price but still... or how about the tank at Atlanta Aquarium for the whale sharks.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I called and spoke to Mike at Sunray Plastics. He has 18x24 1/2" Clear Acrylic for $30 a sheet. Is that a decent price? I have NO idea. He only does phone and fax, no email or online ordering.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
tried to fax him for a quote and of course the fax line is busy. is it really that hard to use email...

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Just called and spoke to Stacy at Sabic in Jacksonville. She is really nice and I got a very good price on 1/2" Clear Acrylic 48x96 full sheet for about $250. They will cut and I can pick up or they will ship FedEx Ground.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I was impressed she answered the phone, gave me prices right away, then.... emailed me back with some scrap prices within 15m just like she promised. Just waiting to see if she will throw in shipping or delivery. I think I'll just get a sheet of 1/2" cut up into 8 pcs and stack them if needed.

Now... where can I find thick sheets of aluminum!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
You will want Cast as it cuts better Extruded melts when cutting

I asked Stacy and she said they only sell Cast. I guess their website is a little out of date.

BTW I found a place to buy metal sheet online.

2x2' 1/2" sheet of aluminum was about $200 with free shipping. Is that reasonable or should I keep looking for a local source?

DizzyMarkus

Glad it all worked out Brian.

Pat, they are great here in NY 35 minute ride for me . Always informative and friendly -- lol and no I dont tip them like the UPS guy hehe

Markus