• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Southern Sign Expo...Interest?

VolunteerSign

I read a lot of posts on the forum of people enjoying meeting other members and making friendships that stand the test of time. I am testing the waters for putting together an event that would be part social event, part educational event and part family vacation.

We have loads of convention space here in Pigeon Forge, low room rates (even during the prime season) and plenty of family type entertainment. I have an extensive background in event management and promotion and am seriously considering putting together an event here in August.

I have been in email contact with several manufacturers, distributors and industry vendors that are very interested in participating. We are thinking a mixture of equipment & supply displays, educational forums, and plenty of social time including a closing concert / party. We will also be able to offer discount attraction tickets to different entertainment venues here. Not only would this be a good event to meet others in the industry & possibly learn a couple things, it can also be a very low cost family vacation.

Pigeon Forge, TN is about 45 minutes southeast of Knoxville, TN and is only a few minutes drive to the Great Smoky Mountains national park. At this point we just wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone's thinking is on something like this.

WildWestDesigns

Keep me in the loop on this. Alicia has been after me to go back up there. Just make sure no car/truck rally going on. The one road to Gatlinburg will be the longest 8 or so miles of your life.

VolunteerSign

You are exactly correct. Right now we are looking at the first weekend in August. We wanted to do it while the kiddos were still out of school for the summer...and no car show at that time.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I'd love to make the trip back down. My wife and kids love that area (I grew up in Cumberland Gap).

Quick question, do you know Brother Zank?

VolunteerSign

Cumberland Gap is a great place, tons of great landscape and history. While very familiar with his work, I have not had the pleasure. Brother Zank is a true sign artist, in every sense of the word. My skill level doesn't make it to the point of being worthy of washing his brushes lol.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Brother Zank is a true sign artist, in every sense of the word. My skill level doesn't make it to the point of being worthy of washing his brushes lol.

About 1997-1998, I was working at a sign company (an icky quicky vinyl shop) in Atlanta, and was looking for a job. My mom called me and told me that she had seen an ad at a company called Custom Craftsmen, so I sent in my resume. Brother Zank called, and we set up an interview on a Saturday around noon, so I could drive up that morning.

Well, when I walked into his shop, I was in awe of everything he had hanging on the walls, and he was working on an HDU sign. The sign was (4) layers of 2" material glued up, about 48" diameter. He had carved the sides to look like bark, and the face had the letters carved, and rings in the background, as if it were an actual tree. My first words out of my mouth, was " I thought I was a sign man, until I walked in here", and somewhere along in the interview, I appoligized for wasting his time.

After we had finished, he did tell me that he had several other people that he wanted to interview, and he would be in touch.

The kick in the backside is, I went to several other interviews, and accepted a job in Maryland. A week after I accepted the job, and gave notice at my current job, Brother Zank called and offered me a job. I was pretty upset, considering I knew how much I would have learned. But I had given my word to take the job in Maryland.

VolunteerSign

His work is amazing, to say the least. I have saw some work that might be as good as his but none (in his style) that's any better. It speaks volumes when the you get to make the sign for the American Sign Museum.

Pat Whatley

Good luck, and I mean that. There's a world of work involved in putting together even a small industry show. The problem I've seen others run into is getting actual commitments from suppliers and manufacturers to do it. Companies don't like to spend the money to send a staff, ship displays, and pay expenses for a weekend if there aren't going to be enough potential customers to justify it. Potential customers don't like to waste their time going to a show where there's really nothing to see. The ISA show advertises like mad for a year to fill up a convention hall.

If you do pull it off, however, I'm in.

VolunteerSign

Good luck, and I mean that. There's a world of work involved in putting together even a small industry show. The problem I've seen others run into is getting actual commitments from suppliers and manufacturers to do it. Companies don't like to spend the money to send a staff, ship displays, and pay expenses for a weekend if there aren't going to be enough potential customers to justify it. Potential customers don't like to waste their time going to a show where there's really nothing to see. The ISA show advertises like mad for a year to fill up a convention hall.

If you do pull it off, however, I'm in.

I agree totally...you are exactly correct. The last show I was involved with (not graphics) we filled a little over 100,000 sq. feet, had attendees from every state and 11 countries. I experienced some major health problems and had to quit...too much stress. For this event it would be more of a social event with some education & equipment thrown in. Plus the space I'm looking at is roughly 20,000 square feet. It may not fly...and if not at least I will know we tried. If I can break even then it's all good...not looking to make money off the event (probably a good thing lol).

Jillbeans

Met Brother Zank at my 1st Letterhead meet in 1994, I doubt if he remembers me.
I wanted to say something about this meet:
Southern Muster
But didn't feel authorized to do so. I wish I could afford to go.
Love....Jill

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're trying to put together a complete package and have lotsa vendors, activities, camping and all kinds of entertainment, it really could be quite the challenge. That to me would be more like a sign convention.

We've had three here in the Northeast, since 2008. They were held at someone's shop each time. I think we have another one coming up this year, but nothing's been figured out yet..... time, place how much and whatnot.

Vendors will show up, also vendors will send plenty of product and you'll get all kinds of door prizes that can make your gathering a total success. We had all kinds of demonstrations, games, eating, discussions and plenty of late-night drinking. In my opinion, it's not the place to form a family vacation and bring the kids. In our shop, it's really nor 'Kid' proof, so I really never wanted young ones around. Besides, it's for adults to meet and learn about one another. Too many distractions just might limit what kind of attendance [and things] vendors might want to donate.

At all three mixers, we concentrated on having a good time and being convenient for everyone.

redbarn

I am in Ga. and have friends with a beautiful cabin in pigeon forge and am always up to visit the beautiful city of knoxville. I would definitely come.