• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300v failed to open port when pushing firmware

CustomPlanetC

Hey, so I installed a new motherboard onto my sp-300v versacamm and I am getting a sum error. I installed a new battery, downloaded the firmware, and even obtained the peck (peck6) tool to send the firmware over to the printer. I boot into the update push mode, but when it goes to push the firmware update it says that it failed to open port and stops the operation.

I know that the computer is able to see the printer, since it will not show up in device manager when the device is off and when it is on it shows up in there. It is being listed under other devices though, and not under printer. It does state that it is a Roland sp-300v, which it must be pulling from the printer itself because I uninstalled any old drivers I had for the machine beforehand.

Any help or direction on how to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

C5 Service&Repair

On first power up for a new main board you have to hold down certain arrow keys to get the machine into firmware upload mode. Are you using a service manual or just swapping parts on your own?

CustomPlanetC

I swapped it on my own at first but I do have a tech manual now. I do the button combination when turning main power main power on then press enter to have it say waiting so that I am able to push the firmware. This is the only mode where the computer sees the device in device manager. And I am selecting type 1 and USB for my connection method.
I will try the go peck when I get into work in an hour or so. Thanks

C5 Service&Repair

are you using the peck utility? Thats the only way it will work on a new mainboard. Are you pushing parameters first or just trying to upgrade firmware?

CustomPlanetC

are you using the peck utility? Thats the only way it will work on a new mainboard. Are you pushing parameters first or just trying to upgrade firmware?
I am using peck 6. I have not tried to push parameters, since I was unable to pull them from the previous board. I had to replace it because it was not communicating with the pc anymore. We had an electrician doing of some work and it seems to me there was a surge of some sort and it blew the communication port on the machine. It would turn on, but it wouldn't communicate with anything. Tried 3 different PCs.

mleg1972

Hey, so I installed a new motherboard onto my sp-300v versacamm and I am getting a sum error. I installed a new battery, downloaded the firmware, and even obtained the peck (peck6) tool to send the firmware over to the printer. I boot into the update push mode, but when it goes to push the firmware update it says that it failed to open port and stops the operation.

I know that the computer is able to see the printer, since it will not show up in device manager when the device is off and when it is on it shows up in there. It is being listed under other devices though, and not under printer. It does state that it is a Roland sp-300v, which it must be pulling from the printer itself because I uninstalled any old drivers I had for the machine beforehand.

Any help or direction on how to fix the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Before you send firmware, you have to initialize the board. It's in the service manual

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cheryld

I know this is an old post, but i am having the same problem. As soon as i plug my machine in I get the "sum error" and can't shut the sub power switch off. What did you do go get it in the mode to push the firmware?