• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-300V Ink Usage

Signfathers

I am printing a vehicle wrap for my Honda element.This is my first time printing a wrap.Im going threw ink pretty fast.Is this normal?i have the 220 cc cartridges.I have printed one side of the suv, hood, and tail and have used one and a half cartridge of each color.Is this normal?That around $420 in ink so far and im not done..

Signfathers

ive printed 3 panels each one is 6' by 28" hood and rear so far its 84 square feet.plus i have to keep a fan on the print as it comes off..it is real wet

nwbee

It should be wet like that and also thats costing you $5 per square foot just for the ink. Although 3 x 72"x28" is only 42 square feet which is $10 per square foot. Something is def wrong but I can't tell you what it is. Are you using versaworks? If so, try just regular glossy calendar vinyl setting since it will be laminated anyway see if the quality and ink is the same. Just a suggestion.

nwbee

Sorry I meant that it SHOULDN'T be wet like that. It will be a little wet but should lose the wet look in less than a couple of mins.

MikesSigns

Check your profiles in VW, I think color may be set up as Max? Try a US Pre Press or Sign and Display. Definitely something not right, With heaters going you should be sticky but not real wet. I think my cost for a full colored sq ft. is around 18 cents. Good Luck

Signfathers

i thought it was way to much..yea black is the worst...if i touch it i get black all over..im using VW im using avery mpi 1005 i downloaded the profile from them and thats what ive been using...if i use the generic vinyl setting it drops the ink consumption dramatically and both of them are 720 x 720...wierd...i will try that and see how it does....thank you all for your help...:thankyou:

Signfathers

oh ps....even at the lower usage.. the ink consumption is 16.98 per panel instead of 60.14....each cartridge cost 70$ with 220 cc that comes to $.31 a cc...at 16.98 thats still $5.26 a square foot..is that correct?

nwbee

At that size, each panel is 14 square feet. If the ink consuption is about 17cc per panel. Thats 17/14 cc per square foot or 1.214 cc/sq ft. At $0.31 per cc, You get about $0.376 per square foot. Thats still a little high for me but remember that it is just an estimated ink consumption. Either way, its not $5 or $10. Also, people might disagree with me on this but just use the built in profiles in versaworks. They always work fine for me. Just print one and see if you like the quality on the material. This is especially true for something that is being laminated.

Sign Works

At that size, each panel is 14 square feet. If the ink consuption is about 17cc per panel. Thats 17/14 cc per square foot or 1.214 cc/sq ft. At $0.31 per cc, You get about $0.376 per square foot. Thats still a little high for me but remember that it is just an estimated ink consumption. Either way, its not $5 or $10. Also, people might disagree with me on this but just use the built in profiles in versaworks. They always work fine for me. Just print one and see if you like the quality on the material. This is especially true for something that is being laminated.

I agree, PGVP works great for cast media. I experimented with Oracal profiles and they too lay down a ton of ink, just open up Media Explorer and look at the ink limits that each profile uses.

sounds like your using the wrong profile! firstly it should noway use that much ink. if the ink is soaking wet as its coming off then thats a red flag right there.

the ink sould be touch dry after only a minute or so, sounds like this is not the case with your prints. also sounds like it may even be pooling alittle.......

using the wrong profile will dump too much ink down and cause this. try using acouple diff profiles. we use the avery mpi1005 alot and we have used several diff profiles. one that i know works is> gvcp, pcvp and averys cast profile, although i didn't really like the avery profile as it seemed to cause alittle faded banding so i changed to gvcp.

oh and we also use the pre press and not max impact.

Signfathers

Thanks for the help everyone.The factory versaworks profiles defiantly saves on the ink.Thanks nwbee..i dont know what i was thinking.The lowest i can get it is.$.40 a square foot at 720 x 720..I did look threw media explorer and i dont have gvcp or pcvp.right now it looks like generic vinyl II is the least amount of usage.

Signfathers

printed with the lesser ink usage...wow alot of banding..maybe i should call it quits...it has cost way to much..and i guess i really dont have the money for all the mistakes..

Mosh

Not as easy as the guy that sold you the machine said right????? GIVE UP and get a job. Getting a printer does not make you a sign shop. Alot more to it. Ever thought of getting a job at a shop, learning the ropes first. I appped at a shop for 5 years before going out on my own. Just A thought, not bashing you. I have lots of tools but don't plan on biulding a bridge any-time soon....I have a d-35 backhoe but not going to even try. (I do use it to clean our ditches out on the farm)

Signfathers

and so far mosh...your comments have been useless..."get some 440" the versaworks profile stills uses the same amount of ink...go find another post to talk garbage....im not doing for the money dumb a$$(but im not being mean) im doing because i like signs,wraps and how there done..ive been to the last 5 years of nbm shows...have taken wrap classes.but you know what...every sign person i have dealt with here in ohio is rude also..i want to change that.

tampaprinting

Tampa Printing
and so far mosh...your comments have been useless..."get some 440" the versaworks profile stills uses the same amount of ink...go find another post to talk garbage....im not doing for the money dumb a$$(but im not being mean) im doing because i like signs,wraps and how there done..ive been to the last 5 years of nbm shows...have taken wrap classes.but you know what...every sign person i have dealt with here in ohio is rude also..i want to change that.
I feel your pain and frustration. I just ordered my new roland printer and think about issues like you're having. Did you purchase yours new or used? Did anyone train you on the profiles or set-up? I agree some of the comments shouldn't be mentioned since you are only looking for useful help. I believe in professionals helping professionals to a certain degree. To help answer questions or issues with equipment isn't going to take any money out of anyone's pocket. There's enough business and money to go around, no matter how big or small of an area you're in. As long as you're providing great service and product to your customers then you'll earn there business and referrals. The reason to purchase a printer is to provide quality prints and make some money. I'm getting a little side tracked but I agree that useful help is better than non-helpful comments.

splizaat

If you're looking for your gcvp or any other profiles alike and don't see them in media explorer, open versaworks, goto preferences and then the Roland @Net tab and click "download all medias and profiles for this printer only" or something along those lines, and also check the "check for updates upon startup." Then shut down versaworks and reopen it - it'll open a download dialog that'll download all the profiles.

I had this same question a couple weeks ago. Hope this helps. I don't have versaworks in front of me right now, but hoping this was close enough to get you those profiles.