• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540 Networking...ugh

IslandSignWorks

We moved our SP-540V from one of our locations to another and we're having difficulty seeing it on the network. This is a working production machine that was doing great before. It needed a new cut carriage cable, which we installed without issue. Now it is throwing no errors but we just can't see it on the network.

So far I have downloaded InterCon Nettool and attached the PC with versaworks to the machine with a crossover ethernet cable. Nettool cannot seem to find the machine. I'm not sure if I'm using it right, but the interface seems pretty self explanatory, and no printer. This PC is not having network issues - it is able to connect to all the other network devices, but not the Roland.

Any suggestions? This is our primary machine and it's currently offline, and boy that hurts (esp in peak of summer)

Thanks!

player

Check on the machine what the IP address is, and make sure the one on the PC is the same as the one on the printer.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
There is probably a mismatch in IP addresses between the computer and the printer. Think of the first 3 sets of numbers in the IP address as the neighborhood the device lives in and the last number is the street address. So you want the computer and the printer to be in the same neighborhood but have different street addresses. If you aren't in the same neighborhood, you can't see things in the other neighborhoods. So 192.168.1 is a common default neighborhood address and it should be the same on your computer and the printer. If not, you won't be able to see it.

First, check your computer's IP address by opening the command line and typing IPCONFIG. A bunch of info will pop up but you are looking for the IPV4 information. That is your IP address.

I am willing to bet the printer is using a different neighborhood address so if you can contact the old location and ask them what they used, you can change your computer's IP address to match that and then the printer should show up. Or you can press and hold the little blue button in the back of the printer and that will reset the IP address to 192.168.1.150 I believe.

IslandSignWorks

There is probably a mismatch in IP addresses between the computer and the printer. Think of the first 3 sets of numbers in the IP address as the neighborhood the device lives in and the last number is the street address. So you want the computer and the printer to be in the same neighborhood but have different street addresses. If you aren't in the same neighborhood, you can't see things in the other neighborhoods. So 192.168.1 is a common default neighborhood address and it should be the same on your computer and the printer. If not, you won't be able to see it.

First, check your computer's IP address by opening the command line and typing IPCONFIG. A bunch of info will pop up but you are looking for the IPV4 information. That is your IP address.

I am willing to bet the printer is using a different neighborhood address so if you can contact the old location and ask them what they used, you can change your computer's IP address to match that and then the printer should show up. Or you can press and hold the little blue button in the back of the printer and that will reset the IP address to 192.168.1.150 I believe.

I tried to enter the old IP address into Versaworks but no luck. How long to hold down the little blue button to reset the IP?0

Are the LED lights on the printer below the ethernet port any indication? I have a solid green (left-most light), followed by a flickering amber in the middle. The right-most green light is off.

I'm familiar with IPCONFIG. Heres the reading from the new network
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.101.1.28
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.101.0.1

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I tried to enter the old IP address into Versaworks but no luck. How long to hold the little blue button?

Are the LED lights on the printer below the ethernet port any indication? I have a solid green (left-most light), followed by a flickering amber in the middle. The right-most green light is off.

I'm honestly not sure how long to hold the button but it's less than 30 seconds I would say. The amber blinking light just means it's connected to a 100mb connection and the green light being off means it's not a gigabit connection which is normal. What is your computer's IP address?

IslandSignWorks

Check on the machine what the IP address is, and make sure the one on the PC is the same as the one on the printer.

How do I see what the IP address is on this machine? Is it buried in the menus somewhere? I have scrolled through the menus endlessly and have never been able to find the IP address

IslandSignWorks

I'm honestly not sure how long to hold the button but it's less than 30 seconds I would say. The amber blinking light just means it's connected to a 100mb connection and the green light being off means it's not a gigabit connection which is normal. What is your computer's IP address?

I edited my post - see above for IPV4 address

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ok so you need to change your computer's IP address to 192.168.1. anything other than 150 and below 254. Then you should be able to connect if the IP address reset on the printer. And no, you can't see the IP address on the SP540 in the menus because they wanted to make you work for it!

IslandSignWorks

Ok so you need to change your computer's IP address to 192.168.1. anything other than 150 and below 254. Then you should be able to connect if the IP address reset on the printer. And no, you can't see the IP address on the SP540 in the menus because they wanted to make you work for it!

Umm... are you sure that's the only solution? I'm asking because two other devices run off drivers on that same computer. Mucking with the IP address might take down our whole shop.

I read about being able to use this Nettool to be able to view and change the IP address in the Roland printer, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Umm... are you sure that's the only solution? I'm asking because two other devices run off drivers on that same computer. Mucking with the IP address might take down our whole shop.

I read about being able to use this Nettool to be able to view and change the IP address in the Roland printer, but that doesn't seem to work for me.

Once you can connect to the Roland you should be able to use the Net tool to change it's IP address to match the other devices. Then just set your computer IP address back to what it was and everything should work. Also, make sure your firewall or anti virus isn't blocking the connection.

IslandSignWorks

Anti-virus and firewall are already turned off. We're doing laser cuts all week so I can't fiddle with the IP address on the computer until that job is done running.

There is absolutely NO way to see the IP address from a service menu or something?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Anti-virus and firewall are already turned off. We're doing laser cuts all week so I can't fiddle with the IP address on the computer until that job is done running.

There is absolutely NO way to see the IP address from a service menu or something?

I think the net tool is supposed to be able to see the printer no matter how your network is setup. That's the weird thing. The advice I gave you is how I normally do it on printers that don't use the Net tool and should work as well.

pinkiss

I think the net tool is supposed to be able to see the printer no matter how your network is setup. That's the weird thing. The advice I gave you is how I normally do it on printers that don't use the Net tool and should work as well.
not unless printer is on different subnet.
OP posted this line Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.240.0 < means network is split into ranges of few thousand devices per subnet and belongs to class b network, usually devices would be configured for class c network , with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 > meaning all of them belong to one network and can accommodate 253 devices total.Anyway its complex to explain subneting but if your printer defaulted to class c ip it wont be detected unless you can manually reasing it to correct network.

Simple solution would be to connect spare laptop that isnt on any network, then launch whatever application lets access printer and change its ip address to smth like 172.101.0.3-5-6-7 with subnet mask of 255.255.240.0, once done printer should lose connection and connect it to your pc or network that you currently use, laptop or any pc can be used as long as its home one with class C ip address which can be checked with ifconfig /all and should read like 192.0.0.1 etc , once you get drivers installed its matter of changing Rolands ip to ones that your network is on since your network is configured for class B ip .

Usually when companies use subbneting its to separate networks, class b is large and can accommodate up to 64 thousand computers which i doubt anyone needs it, in most cases router or switch would handle dhcp and assign ip address,since i havent seen mention of switch or router mentioned, my guess it somehow defaulted to class C ip address which would be like 192.168.1.124 etc,so any home laptop would be able to pickup that ip and let u connect to printer,once in printer/plotter settings it should allow to change you ip address of device even from control panel settings for devices and printers,and reassign it to your network with ip i gave above just make sure that last number you pick isnt already used by another device, but low numbers usually are left alone , im a bit rusty on networking but the actual range might be quite huge.
See bold part its important its assigned same on your roland since even made mistake while typing it out myself, as part 255.255.240.0 defines subnet

Last edited:

FrankW

The Intercon Nettool should see the printer too even if it is not in the same subnet, it scan the network as far as I remember for the MAC-Adresses. If the printer doesn‘t appear even if clicking on the refresh-button, than there is something wrong with the network connection. At the 540V, there is no chance to check the IP in the menu.

pinkiss

not that easy mac addresses are stored on layer 2 device thats a swtich, IPs are on routers thats layer 3 device, unless he has root access to either and connecting directly he could pull that info trough console in a second with arp -a command which also works on command line.Otherwise no packet sniffer will reveal other subnet, if switch is configured properly.
But as i understand OP is connceting it directly so its clear roland knocked back to old IP which belongs to class C, as most devices come out of the box setup with class C, A/B reserved for 2000 computers, but some like to mess up with the addressing even thou its not needed.

Not trying to be a smartass but spent few years in networking and switching, packet sniffers would be way to easy if they scanned entire networks, thus only possible when having root access trough switch or router. But this been put up as more complex issue then it actually is, since any laptops NIC could be changed to class c and with arp -a or ipconfig /all he could see whats the ip on the roland,and fix it in no time, if connection light is on he needs to see if its C class ip that the issue to rule it out.

Last edited: