• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp-540 scan motor error 0050 0040 Help pleazz

slametsib

i'm gettin this error..0050 0040
Any idea what it can be?? Our Sp-540 is now 4 years old..and did a full tune up in 2008. Is it maybe time for another tune up?
My Vp 540 has errors now.. 0110 , 0040 0040 & 0010 0010 and now is not workin.

reg,

Kind Regards,

Slamet Doelkarim
Pr/cut Supervisor

SIB Signs & Designs
Heliconstraat 34 Maretraite 2
Paramaribo Suriname

Tel. (597) 459100 / 459200 / 453658
Fax. (597) 451668

www.sib-wecreate.com
info@sib-wecreate.com

Ragnabrok

0010 scan motor error, deviation error. possible that the connection of the drive cable to the tool carriage is loose, or the motor is dead/dying. usually 0040 is reserved when the heads smash into something, but could be the motor seizing...

the signman

scan motor errors

Hi, try disconnecting the print carriage from the cut carriage and then by hand move print carriage side to side and see if there is any resistance,, they shouldnt be because now it is not attached to anything ,,ie, the scan motor,, then try and move the cut carriage which will have some resistance because it is attached to the motor and cable,,what i am getting at is the linear bearings at the back of both carriages can wear or break down,, try a little 3 in one oil on the track and work back and forth till you get a better feel of them running free,,you can change these but from roland there are expensive,, go direct to thk bearing manufacturer and they will fix you up,, if needed,, after freeing carriages do a linearization test and see if the scan motor errors are still there? remember that when something is not right or sticking it will give errors to protect the motor,, having said that the motors can break down,, roland say about 2000 hours.. running,,hope this info helps has i have just had the same problems as yourself and touch wood i am up and running again,, i have a sp 300 roland a smaller version of your machine,

jfiscus

Rap Master
Hi, try disconnecting the print carriage from the cut carriage and then by hand move print carriage side to side and see if there is any resistance,, they shouldnt be because now it is not attached to anything ,,ie, the scan motor,, then try and move the cut carriage which will have some resistance because it is attached to the motor and cable,,what i am getting at is the linear bearings at the back of both carriages can wear or break down,, try a little 3 in one oil on the track and work back and forth till you get a better feel of them running free,,you can change these but from roland there are expensive,, go direct to thk bearing manufacturer and they will fix you up,, if needed,, after freeing carriages do a linearization test and see if the scan motor errors are still there? remember that when something is not right or sticking it will give errors to protect the motor,, having said that the motors can break down,, roland say about 2000 hours.. running,,hope this info helps has i have just had the same problems as yourself and touch wood i am up and running again,, i have a sp 300 roland a smaller version of your machine,

X2 on this post & the post below it also.
I received this error myself when the bearings were very dry & dirty, 3-in-1 fixed that issue, also had an issue with this error when the carriage cable in the sleeve got a kink/break in one of the fine wires. Make sure there's no noticeable bends in it or its sleeve as it moves with the head.

guato

ERROR LIST
CAUSE:

< User side >
1. Media Jam
2. Pull or Move the Carriage by hands.
3. Carriage runs into a thing/hands.
4. Media is stuck because the media end is not separated from the
paper tube.
5. Heavy media is used.
< Mechanical Side >
1. There is a bad contact/cut-line in the cable.
2. Screw fixing the tool carriage to wire is shifted.
3. Motor is broken./Life
4. Head/Servo Board is broken.

Ragnabrok

limit initialize is the same on all print-cut machines. 0050 and 0040 are scan motor errors, 0050 is an abrupt stop, and 0040 is a combo of high load and deviation.

Deviation is when the encoder inside the scan motor and the linear encoder aren't giving the same movement values. it can be from the cable tension being way too low, or a problem with the encoder scale/reader. If the errors just happen mid print for no apparent reason, the motor itself is a likely cause.

BHT

Sp 300v

When I was printing today I got the error code 0040 0040 but I can see that my cable that runs along the top is kinking up. Any idea on why and how I can fix that. I would like to find a service manual but haven't yet. Any help would be great

Ragnabrok

When I was printing today I got the error code 0040 0040 but I can see that my cable that runs along the top is kinking up. Any idea on why and how I can fix that. I would like to find a service manual but haven't yet. Any help would be great

thats probably the cut carriage cable with its clear plastic guides. They jam up usually from increased friction due to ink dust on them. Cleaning them with iso can help, but if they have a kink or crease they should get replaced. the guides themselves are cheap, and the cable between them isn't much more, but it is more of a chore to replace.

Stormyj

Just another guy
Just a quick warning. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE CARRIAGE DRIVE CABLE. This will only cause you more problems. It should be a certain tightness and there is a tool to check it. Don't change it, it will cause binding and more faults. Don't ask me how I found this out. Find a certified tech to come out and give you a tune up and cleaning. Cost me $175 and was well worth it. Worked like new.
Jim