• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP-540i bent nozzles?

trevvy

I noticed that my blacks weren't printing solidly so I ran a print test to see what was wrong.

I've ran several (4-5) medium cleans and about 3 powerful cleans but the resulting print tests are erractic. Wipers have been replaced but I'm waiting for cap tops that are being shipped to be replaced, I've soaked the heads in the cleaning solution overnight, flushed the ink lines (clean), used the cleaning cartridge several times. Cleaned around the cap top and around the print head.

Is this a sign that my Black/Cyan print head nozzles are bent and that it needs replacing?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20120716_170421.jpg
    20120716_170421.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 20120716_170439.jpg
    20120716_170439.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 81

Colin

Have you had any head-strikes lately?

Was the machine left off for a week or more?

Have you tried printing a flood of 100% K, say a 24" x 50" rectangle?

Salmoneye

I have never replaced one but I would think damper or clogged head. Try putting vacuum on it from the bottom of the line that comes down from that cap top. suck a good syringe full of black through it and do a test print. If it's good and then goes to crap again shortly I guess we could assume you have a supply problem, gets better and stays better, clogged. Stays the same, listen to someone who knows more than I do. lol

trevvy

Didn't have any headstrikes

Machine was left off for a period of about 1 week (but automatic cleaning function was in place)

When I try to print 100% K, it ends up with banding as shown below.

I've noticed that when I do the tests that the middle and top sections of the black section are missing so I'm guessing that those particular nozzles are severely clogged/blocked or bent.

Attachments

• 20120717_161830.jpg
    20120717_161830.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 64

wedosigns

I don't think your head is gone. From the images of your test prints your missing nozzles are moving all over the place. This would indicate one of two things to me.
1 Your cap top is not sealing correctly, therefore not creating enough suction. You stated you have one on order. In the mean time you can try cleaning the one that is on it now. Pay special attention to the rubber seal. Make sure there is no debris or ink dried on that seal which would let air in.
2 You may a bad damper, or o-ring that is letting air in. Try pulling off the damper to see if the ink evacuates the damper. If it does that would tell you that air is coming in. Replace the damper or check the o-ring connections all the way back to the cartridge.
Good Luck
Bruce

Wiggum PI

Yeah, a couple of beers has me thinking cap tops, now that I remember a recent issue with a customer. Had to throw the grim reaper out there though :p

CS-SignSupply

Even with replacing the captop, I do not think it will resolve the bent / permanently deflected nozzles... head replacement