• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sp 540v Meganta damper has nipple from rubber stuck in it

Jodean

this is craziness, red stopped printing, took things apart, and the damper is really loose, then noticed the rubber nipple from the print head is IN the damper.....

What do i do? have old print heads, swap the rubbers?

How do i keep everything from drying out in mean time?

Attachments

• damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 669

C5 Service&Repair

That black nipple is ABS plastic, not rubber. You'll need a new manifold (or if you take one off an old head you need to clean it as good as possible and make sure ink flows freely through it). You have to remove the head, unscrew the manifold, reattach the new one and keep the grounding strap in place. Then install the head and redo the alignments.

Jodean

did that, now i have no yellow or magenta, i stole the manifold off old head, ran cleaner through it, was running out.
Installed 2nd time, no ink yet from print head

Jodean

ok so bypassed that fuse with a 2 amp, now thats blown so no yellow or megenta yet

whats the deal with that ground from the print head, couldn't really tell if that went back right when sliding the print head back into position.

for some reason i only have like 5 marks of black previous to this i was missing about 5 on black, but somehow got all ports working on blue now, was missing about 5 on blue also.....wtf

ya its popping the fuse, just tried second one......must be that ground??

Last edited:

Jodean

black and blue cable make red and yellow head print.....

My god.....how did this happen?? ribbon is shorted, cant tell if its melted into the socket or not, if it just needs a new cable.....

didnt even realize the fuses were already piggybacked unitl i blew up photos

unfortunetly the fuse blows with the cables unplugged.......can a guy actually replace that socket??

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 277
  • ribbon.jpg
    ribbon.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Jodean

so are there a few resistors or caps to check, found a couple things in another thread.....or am i stuck sending it for repair??

the cable metal was actually folded over, i straightened it back out, seems ok. I must say i have pulled and reconnected pry about 1000 flat cables in printers, tvs, you name it, this has never happened before......

Last edited:

Jodean

Im scared of losing the print heads, right now i have cleaning solution in them, is this ok? I took off the dampers and put lines on the nipples and fed cleaning fluid into the heads, then sucked it through from the pump side. Then put dampers back on so they dont dry out.

Is this OK?

Jodean

Ugh, they sent me the wrong transistors....waiting on those. Was able to check them without removing them which helps ALOT!! Was told by a few people no testing until removed.....

Anyhow should get everything in a week or so.

I had no idea repairing these would be some secretive thing, i really dont see much difference in repairing than any other electronics.
Now i know why no one is responding.....some exclusive club or something......been offered to have a technician come to fix it for me......hmm a printer technician hiring a printer technician.....lol ok

C5 Service&Repair

Ugh, they sent me the wrong transistors....waiting on those. Was able to check them without removing them which helps ALOT!! Was told by a few people no testing until removed.....

Anyhow should get everything in a week or so.

I had no idea repairing these would be some secretive thing, i really dont see much difference in repairing than any other electronics.
Now i know why no one is responding.....some exclusive club or something......been offered to have a technician come to fix it for me......hmm a printer technician hiring a printer technician.....lol ok

guess this means you don't need anymore help..... good luck

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can test a transistor in circuit but it is not accurate so you can never trust the result. When you take it out, you get an accurate reading no matter what. It's always better to be 100% sure than 50/50. Also, none of this is a secret. It's just that there aren't a lot of people who have the skills to work on component level electronics. Most people can change a surface mounted fuse but transistors are not surface mount components so they require much more skill to change.

C5 Service&Repair

Also, there is a reason we are certified techs... Mostly so we don't solder wires onto a fuse socket and hold the wires in place with scotch tape, while likely blowing the heads in the process.
If you don't know what you're doing enough to come on these forums and seek help from skilled techs, then don't come back on the forum and try to belittle the people trying to help. I'll promise you that you wont repair that board that you soldered the wires onto.... I've seen people try it over and over. And likely if you didn't disconnect the head cables before you soldered on the board, you fried the heads too.
But I'm sure you already knew all of that since you're a 'printer technician' too.....

Jodean

So no need for a technician to hire another technician.

I thought they were sending me wrong transistors, but they dont test out like what youtube shows, once installed on board they read the same as the other ones there, the coding under C4131 apparently doesnt make a difference. Out of the board the measure like 560 to 580, But once installed they read just like the original ones still on the board at 480. Frirend of mine happend to have a transistor tester (cheap btw only like $22 on the bay) and check them before they got soldered in.

Printer back in operation, nothing was fried like others were stating, no ink or solvent on any cables or print heads.

SOOOOOO glad i didnt spend mucho money on new boards or other technicians that would have done the same thing as me. So for $4 im back up and running again.

Thanks for all the help!! This forum rocks!

Attachments

• first print after transistor replacement.jpg
    first print after transistor replacement.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 241

Jodean

Also, there is a reason we are certified techs... Mostly so we don't solder wires onto a fuse socket and hold the wires in place with scotch tape, while likely blowing the heads in the process.
If you don't know what you're doing enough to come on these forums and seek help from skilled techs, then don't come back on the forum and try to belittle the people trying to help. I'll promise you that you wont repair that board that you soldered the wires onto.... I've seen people try it over and over. And likely if you didn't disconnect the head cables before you soldered on the board, you fried the heads too.
But I'm sure you already knew all of that since you're a 'printer technician' too.....

Umm....that is actually the fix for old type soldered on fuses, they replace with a removable fuse holder, ya mine isnt the final setup, that was just for testing, but thanks for the suggestions......