• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Sp-540v Shadow After Head Replacement

okeesignguy

I replaced the mag/yellow head a couple months ago and did all of the normal adjustments...

Everything is fine on large prints because the tiny "red" shadow barely shows however on very small stuff it shows pretty bad...

I have an order for 1000 small product labels with some very fine print and it is almost impossible to read as it is white copy on black so it is a blurry pink LOL...

The red shadow is always to the top of the copy as it comes off the printer...

Can anybody here please help me as I feel that this is probably an adjustment...
Thank you all very much for any help given!

17098482_1285336368217304_5877750079673645212_n.jpg

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
By normal adjustments do you mean the ones you normally do as an end user or the ones that are in the service mode? To me it looks like you need to do the service menu alignments. The vertical adjustment is definitely off but it is always better to do all of the alignments in the proper order. The proper order would be Bias (Mechanical), Vertical (Mechanical), Horizontal (Electrical), Bi-Directional Default (Electrical) and then he user menu bi-directional adjustment (electrical).

Hey okeesignguy,

That really looks to be a head alignment issue or a bi-directional calibration issue. To narrow which it is, just print in uni-directional mode. If the shifting continues, then call your authorized Roland dealer to have the head alignment performed. That will solve the issue. However, if the print is perfectly aligned, then the problem is the bi-directional calibration. Run the bi-directional calibration and that should work fine.

Take care,
Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

okeesignguy

By normal adjustments do you mean the ones you normally do as an end user or the ones that are in the service mode? To me it looks like you need to do the service menu alignments. The vertical adjustment is definitely off but it is always better to do all of the alignments in the proper order. The proper order would be Bias (Mechanical), Vertical (Mechanical), Horizontal (Electrical), Bi-Directional Default (Electrical) and then he user menu bi-directional adjustment (electrical).
Yes....the ones in the service manual...maybe I did not do a good enough job and need to revisit that...AND...I did not do the user menu bi-directional adjustment...(electrical?) Thank you :)

okeesignguy

Hey okeesignguy,

That really looks to be a head alignment issue or a bi-directional calibration issue. To narrow which it is, just print in uni-directional mode. If the shifting continues, then call your authorized Roland dealer to have the head alignment performed. That will solve the issue. However, if the print is perfectly aligned, then the problem is the bi-directional calibration. Run the bi-directional calibration and that should work fine.

Take care,
Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn
"print in uni-directional mode"...? I will try the bi-directional calibration...is that in the user menu or the service menu...?
I am NOT calling Roland as I live in a little hick town far from the "big city" and they charge me $650 just to show up!
Also...FYI....I have bought a new printer but I am not going to set it up til I sell this one...that's the other reason I need to get this one printing as good as it can :) Thank you!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yes....the ones in the service manual...maybe I did not do a good enough job and need to revisit that...AND...I did not do the user menu bi-directional adjustment...(electrical?) Thank you :)

When doing the mechanical adjustments, make sure you tighten the screws in between printing the test print and adjusting the head. What tends to happen is you get it perfect but the screws aren't tight when running the test print and the head moves slightly before you get a chance to tighten it down all the way.

Make sure you do the user bi-di adjustment. In the service menu it just sets the base point for the user one. It should be very close or perfectly at 0 if you did the service bi-di adjustment properly but it can change depending on the different material thicknesses you print on. By electrical I just mean that you adjust it by changing the numbers on the screen rather than moving the head physically.

okeesignguy

Well....a big THANK YOU to all that offered help :) Went thru the entire process again and all is well now...printing great again :)
FYI...This printer is for sale...I live in Florida...I bought a new Mutoh and holding off delivery til I sell the Roland...
Thanx again!!!

printhog

VanderJ +1 for best concise answer.

Replace your system battery if you think you're losing alignment settings at power off..

its only a freaking sign!

phototec

VanderJ +1 for best concise answer.

Replace your system battery if you think you're losing alignment settings at power off..

its only a freaking sign!

Ok, where is the battery located on the SP-540V and what type/size battery?

Thanks