• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP 540V

Cassini14

I changed the printhead I and can't get to fill the ink. I tried many times and the only thing I did is waste the other ink colors when I'm trying to fill the lines. The Printhead I changed, the lines got contaminated and had to take the ink out of the lines with the syringe. The head was not working for a while (months) there is anything that it got bad? the other ink is pumping. I don't have a clue why is not pumping the new printhead ink (see pic) THank You

Attachments

• roland.jpg
    roland.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 210

rjssigns

Air leak. Ink line may be loose or you may have cracked the nipple on the printhead manifold.
Could be an electrical issue too. Make sure all cables are clean and correctly seated.

FrankW

Use the syringe to pull the ink at the tube of the capping. If you cant pull, the tube or cap is blocked, and you need a new cap. If you can pull easy, but the ink lines wont fill, there is an aor leak anywere (perhaps you can hear were). If it fills the lines, then it could be that the pump dont work.

Special side effect: you do not loose ink at the other ink lines.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When was the last time you changed your cap tops? I would change them if they are over a year old and while you're in there flush the pump tubes and make sure one side isn't clogged on the y connector.

phototec

When was the last time you changed your cap tops? I would change them if they are over a year old and while you're in there flush the pump tubes and make sure one side isn't clogged on the y connector.

My SP540V is 10 years old and I have never flushed the pump tubes, can you please explain how to flush the pump tubes?

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
My SP540V is 10 years old and I have never flushed the pump tubes, can you please explain how to flush the pump tubes?

Thanks

I simply take the y connector out that connects the two cap tops to the pump and then hook a syringe up to the pump tube and push solution through. It should go right through to the waste tank. If it flushes out real easy that's always good. If it feels like it's resisting, usually I fill the tube with solution and then wait about 10 minutes to let the solution break up the dried up ink. Then flush until it feels easy to push solution through. If it doesn't allow you to push anything through, it's clogged. Sometimes you can push it out just by flushing but if the clog is old, a lot of the time it's clogged throughout the whole tube which is way harder to unclog.

Jim Hill

I sometimes use a small paperclip that I straighten out and slowly slide it through each side of the Y fitting a few times just so you can see that there is no obstruction blocking the ink from flowing through it.

I once counted how many places there can be to check for an air leak in the entire system and at there were a lot of them.

Just in the dampers alone you have the tubing, O rings, the nut, the rubber O ring in the bottom of the dampers and you times that by the amount of dampers in your printer and you begin to understand the problem of tracing an air leak and then you move on to cap tops and more tubing and lines and the Y fitting and is the carriage adjusted properly under the heads and while we are talking about the heads check the nipple on the manifold for hair line cracks.
I have even seen ink pumps with the hoses connected to the wrong sides of the ink pump.

I am sure I might have forgotten something else but this is a list of things to check out.
Finding an air leak can sometimes take a lot of time. While it takes me more time I remind myself why I am doing the work myself.
I am sure a Roland Tech would do the same job in less time but it can get expensive fast when your tracing down an air leak in the system.

Jim