• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sp300V encoder strip

dws1231

Just replaced my carriage cable and now can not get bidirectional printing values corrected. When I run the tests and insert corrected values save and run the are still way out of wack. I noticed on the encoder strip here I scratch or bump towards the top. Question: I know here is a black dot at the top on the right hand side and an alignment hole just below that. Can I flip the encoder strip upside down punch a new alignment hole and insert it back into the track or is there really a top and bottom the encoder strip?

PS machine prints perfectly uni-directional (jus really slow) so I know I am on the right track.

FrankW

You can turn the encoder strip upside down. But regularly problems with the encoder will have effects on uni printing too.

dws1231

You can turn the encoder strip upside down. But regularly problems with the encoder will have effects on uni printing too.

Interestingly enough in this case it hasn't effected the uni directional printing. I marked the encoder scale rail where the imperfection is. The printer prints perfectly except for about 1/2" around that mark, creating a blurry or fuzzy vertical stripe up the middle of the print. Uni printing is perfect, (I am using that mode for jobs I have in the queue), that is what makes me think maybe there is a top and bottom to the encoder strip or the sensor its self maybe reads different heights on the strip? Something will not allow the bidirectional adjustment values to correct the printing. They are constantly out of wack.

PS: I ran "linear encoder setup" and "calibration" from the service mode.

Thanks Dan

splizaat

There's only one eye on the carriage that reads one spot. That's an odd issue to have....

Have you tried flipping the strip upside down? Re-intialize limitation and let me know how that goes...maybe there's a piece of fuzz on the eye that is dragging behind the eye one direction and in front of the eye when it switches directions??? Blow a little bit of air on the eye and see if that helps.

Also, if you're printing from versa works are you using "media settings" or "printer settings" when you setup the file? You can calibrate certain things that are over-written by the media profile if it's set to media settings instead of printer or visa versa. Not sure scan is one of those over-written issues.

Another thing could be static build up...have you tried shutting the printer off and unplugging power for 30 minutes or so, then try printing again.