• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540 is not printing any color.

It was printing just fine, then started printing fuzzy then clear up and back to fuzzy. Cleaned everything, rebooted computer and printer and tried again same issue. A friend told me to check the ribbon cable. I carefully unplugged the ribbon cable and plugged it in. Now it is not printing any color but is making the motions as if it's printing.

anozira02

Check see if the drain tubes clogged and see if the dampers have enough ink should be half full or so, did you do a pump check, test print?

phototec

I'm no expert but have followed many threads on the SP-540, and I know that doing any thing like what you did, you first have to UNPLUG the machine and and make sure you have discharged any static from your body before touching any sensitive components near the print head. Because you can blow a fuse on the head board if you are not careful.

Another thing, if you unplug the ribbon cable, make sure you installed it correctly, check to see if any of the leads are bent and not making contact.

You may need to check the fuse, I have not done this, but know if you don't have continuity across the fuse, then you blew it. The fuse is a very small surface mount component, however it is something that many have replaced them selves (if you know how to solder). One other tip I have read about, don't use the same small fuse going back, but replace it with a fuse holder and that way you can change fuses easier in the future.

Good luck

FrankW

if all colours are dead after unplugging cables without unplugging the printer from the power source I agree with the idea to check the fuses.

Everything on the printer is working just not putting out ink. If I do a cleaning on the machine there is ink going into my clean out bottle. It was printing, but not printing good. So a Friend of mine said he has had to replace the ribbon cable going to the print cartridge board. All cables are plugged in good. If I am getting ink in my drain bottle wouldn't that mean there is not a problem on that side of the house???? Thanks for the suggestions.

Dakotagrafx

like others have said above - check the fuses. ink in the waste tank only means that the pump is working not that the head is putting out ink. - pump draws ink thru heads . . .

I have checked the surface mount and all fuses that I can find. Also the power light is lite on the printer carriage board so I would think if a fuse had blown on that board I would not have a power lite. That is the board I removed the ribbon cable on. Another thing that I have tried to do is a system report. When it starts it rolls of like 20 inches of material before it tries to print, it has never done that and it will also come back and say the print cartridges are disconnected.

FrankW

I have checked the surface mount and all fuses that I can find. Also the power light is lite on the printer carriage board so I would think if a fuse had blown on that board I would not have a power lite.

Because the fuses we all mean are responsible for the heads only, a working mainboard led doesn't mean anything in this case.

I have found a picture of the fuses on a SP540V-Mainboard. You can use a voltmeter to check it (lot of them are suitable for checking fuses with a sound function) and solder new ones on the board if needed. I'm 99% shure that this fuses are damaged because 99% of all "I have plugged cables and now the printer don't print anymore"-problems (very often on signs101) are because of killed fuses. In 1% of the cases additional things are damaged because of the same reason.

BE CAREFUL: if doing manipulations on that board, even if just unplug or replug cables, disconnect the printer from the power source before. Be shure that the cables are correctly connected again BEFORE connecting the printer to the power again.

Attachments

• SP540Board.jpg
    SP540Board.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 180

phototec

Thanks for the info meant to post back earlier but yes both print head fuses are bad. Wish I could find the local but I will have them Tuesday.

I tried to tell you to check the fuses, and also NOT to install the same fuse but instead install a FUSE HOLDER, so you can replace the fuses as needed without have to use a soldering iron.

That way all you have to do is replace the fuse with the same VALUE, yet the fuse can be larger and will just snap into the FUSE HOLDER.

Attached is a PDF guide on how to change out the fuse and add a fuse holder, it's for the Mutoh printer, but you can do the same repair on you printer. The BEST part, if you ever have this happen again (and you will), it will make changing the fuse very easy. All you need to do is have a spare fuse of the SAME value as the one that blew on your board.

Hope this helps you or someone else.

Attachments

• Replacing Mutoh head Fuse.pdf
    905.9 KB · Views: 102

FrankW

Interesting PDF, I have downloaded it too. But be careful: in the electronic box of some mutoh is more space for such assemblies than below the cover of a SP540V.

phototec

Interesting PDF, I have downloaded it too. But be careful: in the electronic box of some mutoh is more space for such assemblies than below the cover of a SP540V.

Frank,

You sound very knowledgeable about the SP54V, do you know the VALUE of the PRINT HEAD FUSE?

Thanks