• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V visible lines

Nismoasfuh

Hello all, so to cut to the chase my sp540v has some very visible lines in it's prints. I have attached a couple pics, one of which is lamented (didn't catch it before it was laminated) but its a good example.
On test prints the magenta is mixing into the yellow, but all the heads seem to be firing just fine. I have done my research and found that the wipers, cap tops, and dampers are probably due for replacing and that should make a big difference. My question is how basic is this job? I mean I know the wipers are easy to do but Im particularly worried about attempting the cap top/ dampers due to the hose and springs. Im just really torn between going about it myself and chucking over the money for a tech to come out and do the job. I have found a couple videos on youtube that seem easy enough but would like any more info on tips and suggestions you guys may have. Also, would like to hear any other suggestions as far as what else may cause the lines, even though I'm sure this is the most practical and efficient place to start tackling this problem. One last thing, is that during the last manual head cleaning I noticed a "icicle" of ink hanging from one of the heads but I was extremely reluctant to try to clean it off as it was exactly where everyone says not to rub your swab (directly on the head) and I knew it would take some serious scrubbing to get it off. So would like to know how to go about that as well. Thanks everyone and look forward to hearing from you all!
IMG_9922.JPG
IMG_9901.JPG
(didn't catch it before it was laminated) but its a good example.
On test prints the magenta is mixing into the yellow, but all the heads seem to be firing just fine. I have done my research and found that the wipers, cap tops, and dampers are probably due for replacing and that should make a big difference. My question is how basic is this job? I mean I know the wipers are easy to do but Im particularly worried about attempting the cap top/ dampers due to the hose and springs. Im just really torn between going about it myself and chucking over the money for a tech to come out and do the job. I have found a couple videos on youtube that seem easy enough but would like any more info on tips and suggestions you guys may have. Also, would like to hear any other suggestions as far as what else may cause the lines, even though I'm sure this is the most practical and efficient place to start tackling this problem. One last thing, is that during the last manual head cleaning I noticed a "icicle" of ink hanging from one of the heads but I was extremely reluctant to try to clean it off as it was exactly where everyone says not to rub your swab (directly on the head) and I knew it would take some serious scrubbing to get it off. So would like to know how to go about that as well. Thanks everyone and look forward to hearing from you all!

Attachments

• IMG_9922.JPG
    IMG_9922.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 189
  • IMG_9901.JPG
    IMG_9901.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 74

player

When I replace the caps I put the head in manual cleaning position (the far left) which exposes the captops. Then unclip the little plastic clips and the old cap will pop up and be available to change. WARNING!1!! You must keep the old cap pressed down when unclipping the captop retainer because there are 2 springs under the captop which will "sproing!" up and they will get lost. So just hold the captop down when releasing it. Then slowly let the captop rise up until it is not being pushed by the springs. Then carefully pull up the cap and get a hold of the springs. It might be a good idea to order 1 or 2 springs in case you lose one. I lost one once and tried to substitute a pen spring, but it didn't work very well. You also have to remove the captop tube from the little "y" coupler at the end of tube.

There shouldn't be any reason to adjust the captop height. There is a setting in the printer for removing the caps. It will make it a little easier because it will move the caps up to expose them a little more. I never bothered.

Last edited:

Tizz

I do the same as Player has described when replacing captops. Just take your time.
Can you take a pic of the icicle and show us? Sounds like it may be caused by dust, or something foreign stuck under the head and is in the nozzle firing line, which is why the ink may be building up. Maybe this is causing the band lines? I'm not 100% sure. A pic of this would be ideal.

If you have a service manual, parts replacement section is pretty straight forward and can be done easily. Digiprintsupplies has a bunch of replacement videos on youtube also.
However, if you're not 100% sure in tackling this yet, get in a tech and watch em how it's done for next time.

DoubleDiamond

Used to print on this machine and had this happen. Easiest fix was to print on high quality, but this may take too long. We learned to try other color swatches too. PMS works well with versaworks. All the PMS grays seem to have a color tint though, just a heads up. Most of the RVW colors in the AI swatches work well too, but some have less banding than others. It may take a while to dial in the color on another swatch, but it may also look better.
Hope it helps.

Nismoasfuh

could it be head alignment? after doing more research it seems like the actual lines themselves are cause by a misalignment of the heads.

Last edited:

strypguy

Both? Or just one? And how much did that run you?
I just needed a black head. I learned to replace them myself so it cost me about $600 for the head. If you use a Roland tech you can figure about $1300 each installed. That's what they were charging me. John