• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SP540V won't read Cyan cartridge

rjssigns

Well my SP540V is up to it's old tricks from 2017. Chirps for Cyan no matter what I do.

Tried cleaning the sensor in the cartridge slot. Tried cleaning the chip on the cartridge.
Tried multiple cartridges. Tried unplugging the sensor.
Still chirps for ink.

Weird thing is I unplugged the sensors at the board and the only one that showed empty was Cyan.

Is there a way to run in service mode and bypass the ink sensors? I need to get some jobs printed.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The sensor that detects if the cartridge is empty is separate from the ink chip reader. If that sensor breaks, it will always think it's empty until you fix it. Take a look at the bottom right side of the cartridge holder. There should be a little black plastic lever that slightly sticks out from the side of the holder. If the lever is broken or sticking out too far, it will cause the issue you are having.

rjssigns

The sensor that detects if the cartridge is empty is separate from the ink chip reader. If that sensor breaks, it will always think it's empty until you fix it. Take a look at the bottom right side of the cartridge holder. There should be a little black plastic lever that slightly sticks out from the side of the holder. If the lever is broken or sticking out too far, it will cause the issue you are having.

Thanks VanderJ. For whatever reason the chirping stopped and I need to print some jobs. Then I'll check on the black lever and report back. Hopefully I can get it fixed once and for all.

rjssigns

Well, so far so good. I removed the spring tab from the top of the Cyan cartridge bay to look at the lever. Forgot to put it back on then replaced the cover. Ooops. Printer has been running since. Weird, but I'll take it.